What are your favourite games from the 90s?

Page 2 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 10:00 am

I liked going to the arcades; you had to watch out for the gangs of hoods/punks, though, who would try to dominate certain games.

Those were the days when you could meet a girl, and "take her home." Decent girls and decent guys did this.

I'm glad these sorts of places are still around for people who enjoyed arcade games and the lively atmosphere.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 7:26 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I liked going to the arcades; you had to watch out for the gangs of hoods/punks, though, who would try to dominate certain games.

Those were the days when you could meet a girl, and "take her home." Decent girls and decent guys did this.

I'm glad these sorts of places are still around for people who enjoyed arcade games and the lively atmosphere.

Yeah, they're still around, but only barely. By far the vast majority of them are completely gone.

As it is, in my case the big one near me is the *only* one I'm even aware of within quite a big area from where I'm starting.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 8:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I want to meet a girl by the Pac-Man machine but I can't find a Pac-Man machine :(

DrewLewis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Feb 2017, 5:04 pm

Super Mario world, Earthworm Jim, Bomberman, Street Fighter series and Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 9:29 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I want to meet a girl by the Pac-Man machine but I can't find a Pac-Man machine :(

I went to a place with a Pac-Man machine and couldn't stop thinking about it.The Pac-Man machine was at a restaurant though and not an arcade but still, a Pac-Man machine is a Pac-Man machine.

Do you like any other Namco classics? My favorite is Xevious.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

VengefulMenace11
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Feb 2017, 9:51 pm

Growing up, I was always a generation behind my "friends". I had a N64 when everyone else had PS2 and Xbox. My favorite games from the 90's were:

N64:
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Banjo Kazooie/Tooie
Donkey Kong 64
Mario 64
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Super Smash Bros
Rampage World Tour
Gex 3

Gameboy:
Donkey Kong Land 3
Pokemon Yellow
Gameboy Camera

For some reason, I find music from 90s games more memorable than music of the most recent games.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 3:23 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:

The map on the left is an actual level from Doom. It's one of the earlier levels in the game.

Heh, ain't that the truth? :P

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 4:31 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

The map on the left is an actual level from Doom. It's one of the earlier levels in the game.

Heh, ain't that the truth? :P

This is part of why I was really impressed by the recent Doom game: Because it went back to THAT old style of design.

Which to me is the way FPS games should be done. I dont care if super-complicated labyrinths arent "realistic" or good with narrative. They were INTERESTING. You actually explored them! And the devs could be very, very creative with them, specifically BECAUSE they didnt have to be realistic. Heck, whenever I made levels for it (and this remains true for when I do level design for any type of current game) big labyrinthine mazes with secrets and interesting structure were always the rule for me.

Even now Doom still remains one of my favorite games ever.

Wheras current FPS games just bore me. It's all straight lines, cutscenes, and regenerating health.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 7:05 am

Mine were Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Country and a few others that came free on my PC, like Thexder 95, Hoyle Classic Games (1995) and some demo version of Fury3.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2017, 10:25 am

My gaming tastes haven't really changed. So Final fantasy 6-8, Donkey Kong Country, Monkey Island, Myst, Sims, Sonic, Grandia just to name a few.

Zombini
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2017, 12:13 pm

My favorites were resident evil, resident evil 2, resident evil 3, ocarina of time, and majora's mask. I personally dont understand what happened to the resident evil games they went from being like zombie horror movies to cheesy action movies and I dont find them appealing anymore. In fact I have pretty much quit gaming because all these new games seem like action shooters with forced online Coop and that just isn't the type of gaming I'm into.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 1:27 pm

Zombini wrote:
My favorites were resident evil, resident evil 2, resident evil 3, ocarina of time, and majora's mask. I personally dont understand what happened to the resident evil games they went from being like zombie horror movies to cheesy action movies and I dont find them appealing anymore. In fact I have pretty much quit gaming because all these new games seem like action shooters with forced online Coop and that just isn't the type of gaming I'm into.

Not all new games are action shooters. I play a variety of games and a lot of new titles interest me. Then again I don't play many shooters.

I still have my copy of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis.
8O

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 8:47 pm

Zombini wrote:

There's LOTS of games that arent shooters or online co-op. Hell, I dont play those either, and havent for years, yet I still buy tons of games lately.

But you have to actually look around. It's not hard to find about a kersquillion other games that arent shooters or online at all.

Midnightstar16
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 11:38 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Go to Dave and Busters. The one where I live even has a pacman cabinet! 8)

Stampfigang
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Mar 2017, 5:41 am

Some of my favourite games come from that period: Final Fantasy 7, Super Castlevania 4, Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past, F-Zero, Donkey Kong Country and WipEout.

I didn't enjoy the N64 so no games from that system are on the list. I even remember being very disappointed by the 3D-Zelda. Even today I'm not too interested in the series anymore...

CzigBot
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Mar 2017, 1:09 pm

Fallout 1/2 by far, other than that I haven't played many 90s games. I had an N64 when growing up but I wouldn't call anything from that a favorite since my enjoyment of the games at the time has long since worn off.