Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

RachelBray184
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jan 2017, 6:45 am

Hi everyone,

I'm Rachel, and here in Australia, it's summer, meaning I've got time off school. I'm trying to make the most of it, but I'm absolutely dreading going back. 2016 was basically a nightmare, and I'm worried that it'll be more of the same. Also, I'm starting VCE this year, which for anyone outside of Australia basically equals "big scary end of school exam thing aka lots of studying and stress". Best way I can think of explaining it, sorry, I'm terrible with words sometimes.

So yeah, right now it just feels like that's a shadow hanging over everything I do. I'm going to have to put in a lot of work, but at the moment I seemingly only have the motivation to hide in my room reading and watching youtube videos. Also, I've had a lot of unresolved drama in my friendship group that I don't know how to find a way through. It's just making me completely dread the end of January.

Any suggestions for how to make school less painful? Anyone who's been through the same thing? I'm not really asking for advice as such, just venting and hoping to find someone who can relate to this.

Talk to you soon,
Rachel

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 1:30 am

Edit: just read the bottom of your post again and I saw where you were asking for no advice. So much for this haha
But because you ask, I can completely relate with you and I agree with everything you've posted. Also, I have many of the same problems and I'm dealing with them today. I'm currently in school so I hope what I wrote helps but it's alright if you don't want to read it because I didn't read the bottom part.

I completely agree. To be honest I don't just dislike school, I have a seething hatred for some of these people I have to sit with everyday. I do have to warn you that what I write here must be taken lightly, as I am still in school so I'm in the same situation as you. I'm also in a different country, so be weary of that, though I do have exams as well.

My first piece of advice is, if you don't have the social skills, you're not gonna make it. That's what I've learned the hard way. Work on reading social signals so it is better to understand verbal instruction given by the teachers.

I do have some tips however. Study and learn while outside of class. I CANNOT learn in class, because I am surrounded by a cloud of breathing, farting, burping weirdos who don't know their ### from their head. I teach myself and I succeed this way. Also, seeing as it is common for people with ASDs to have difficulty with communication, check with your teacher often. They don't judge you as often as other students (from my own experience). It's also very useful to get on the good side of a teacher, and there's always one of those teachers who is very friendly and is a pleasure to talk with.

Another thing, work on building a tougher exterior. I have trouble with this one. Turn trouble into a way of strengthening yourself rather than letting it make more anxiety. School isn't about intelligence or learning, it's about 100% hard work, and we ONLY succeed if we give up that intelligence and that interest in learning and curiosity of the world and replace it with a burning desire to do and enjoy work. And about the friendship thing, you have control over which friends you have and what you do with them, but oftentimes we think it's the other way around. If they do something you don't like, you should remember that it is YOU who is in control, not them. If the drama cannot be resolved through a rational and logical argument then you have the power to say you don't want to talk with them anymore. I've had to do this many times and though I've lost a lot of friends I've gained a lot of freedom and a lot less pain and manipulation.

Also, last thing...it is common for some people to have poorer executive functioning. The main problem with this is that it's difficult to get work done. As a result, that head on work ethic is not going to always work. Feel free to relax often, if you can't get an assignment done it's good to let it go for a day, but always try to keep on top of everything or else the stress will add on and in the end we spend more time trying to convince ourselves we're not lazy rather than actually doing work.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

16 Jan 2017, 3:14 am

Classes start Tuesday for me, definitely have a part of me dreading it but I am also happy to get back into a routine I can get use to. Def can relate with withdrawing, I've been a lot more anxious and reclusive the last month so I am hoping just having to leave the house regularly again will help me start feeling better.

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jan 2017, 12:01 pm

RachelBray184 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm Rachel, and here in Australia, it's summer, meaning I've got time off school. I'm trying to make the most of it, but I'm absolutely dreading going back. 2016 was basically a nightmare, and I'm worried that it'll be more of the same. Also, I'm starting VCE this year, which for anyone outside of Australia basically equals "big scary end of school exam thing aka lots of studying and stress". Best way I can think of explaining it, sorry, I'm terrible with words sometimes.

So yeah, right now it just feels like that's a shadow hanging over everything I do. I'm going to have to put in a lot of work, but at the moment I seemingly only have the motivation to hide in my room reading and watching youtube videos. Also, I've had a lot of unresolved drama in my friendship group that I don't know how to find a way through. It's just making me completely dread the end of January.

Any suggestions for how to make school less painful? Anyone who's been through the same thing? I'm not really asking for advice as such, just venting and hoping to find someone who can relate to this.

Talk to you soon,
Rachel

I relate so much to this. Since last year, I've just wanted to withdraw and watch Youtube videos all day. It's really sad. I'm in a really tough major and I just don't have the strength and motivation to do the work like NTs can.