Were you ever put in a psych hospital?

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 2:20 pm

<--- Apologizes for using any language which some may deem as being offensive.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 2:28 pm

Breaking News! Social awkwardness happened on an autism forum. Details at 11. :P

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 11:01 pm

I guess I am only one of several who didn't think the psych ward was so terrible. I've been twice to the same one and the people there are really great. The facilities were really nice, too. I've heard, though, that others in the area are not as good. My insurance is not as good as it used to be, so I think I'd end up in one of the second-rate (or third, or fourth, or fifth...) places if I go anytime soon.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2017, 1:21 am

Nope but I feel like I was one step away, instead I took to wandering the abyss for several years which helped me place myself in my own ward and do my time there instead.

Coyotesheaven
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jan 2017, 3:35 pm

I was put in a Psych hospital for around 1.5 weeks last May due to suicidal thoughts.

It was not a great experience; too much noise and people probing into my ass nonstop, so to speak. The first psych hospital I was placed in treated me like an animal, making me stay up all night just to admit me, and not letting me turn off the lights in the lobby while I tried to sleep, after a grueling day of being suicidal. And they treated all of us like prisoners; no privacy, no leisure, TV for half an hour or you would get yelled at if you continued watching. You were also prohibited from going outside, as it was a privilege to those who had demonstrated better control of their anger or depression or what have you (some of which was no doubt directed at the establishment). If I remember correctly, books were also replaced with nothing more than the book of Mormon and children's coloring books. A complete ethical mess; I was being incarcerated for having suicidal depression.

The second hospital at least treated me like a human being and gave the patients more amenities like television (lots of movies to choose from) colored pencils, group meets, and internet time. However, outside time was not allowed except in a confined patio to smoke. The staff was generally kind and they did not treat us like sub-human creatures, and I bonded with many of the patients.
But there were major problems as well. I was dealing with a significant physical chronic illness and was starting to lose my hearing....they dismissed everything I told them about needing help as psychosis or hysteria and I had to wait a long time to get anyone who would take my physical problems seriously. Upon discharge they put me on an incredibly dangerous anti depressant that screws up blood pressure, and did not monitor me...I remember having at least 3 episodes of what felt like mini-strokes (sudden strong vertigo, near vomiting, hearing drops, feeling like passing out) when I got out because the meds lowered my blood pressure waaay to much. That stupid medication contributed to the development of acquired POTS later down the road along with other help problems.
Overall, aside from prescribing me something to effectively control my panic disorder, the experience only made me sicker on all other fronts.