Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

crazycoffeeunicorn92
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jan 2017, 4:44 pm

This girl bought a baby bassinet from me off facebook. She seemed cool & i looked at her profile and we have some things in common. Id like to send her a friend request and go about becoming her friend in real life but idk how to do that without coming off as werid and what if she thinks im stupid. What shall i do??

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jan 2017, 5:11 pm

It's just facebook. If she has a boat load of friends she may not care about a random invite and just accept it. Just send an invite without a message and take it lightly from there. The only way she'll think you're weird is if you get too excited too early on. Be casual and patient about it.

crazycoffeeunicorn92
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jan 2017, 9:56 pm

Yeah I thought about that too. Well I noticed she has her security settings set to where you cant add her so the only way is to message her. So oh well i guess.

Zygotic
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jan 2017, 10:30 pm

I would say just do it! If she thinks you are stupid its not meant to be, because why would you want to be friends with someone who would judge you so harshly just because you were being nice and wanting to be friends? There is nothing to lose, she might not be as nice and cool as you think she is and not accept, or she might be everything you are hoping for and accept and be open to new people and a generally lovely person.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jan 2017, 10:42 pm

crazycoffeeunicorn92 wrote:
Yeah I thought about that too. Well I noticed she has her security settings set to where you cant add her so the only way is to message her. So oh well i guess.

That's more guarded than most. She may not use facebook that much. Oh well. There's lots of people on this Earth.You could take the advice from the other poster but she sounds kinda shy/reserved. If you're looking for friends try to find a circle that fits a hobby of yours. I made about 40 friends through skateboarding. Some best friends in there too.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 11:03 pm

I'd find it weird and probably block you.

crazycoffeeunicorn92
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Jan 2017, 4:00 pm

Well so far I havent scared her away told her I had sum baby bottles and a tub for free if she wanted it.she said thank you and i told her she could get it whenever she wanted. I want to flat out tell her that she can add me if she wants but i dont want her to think she has to be my friend just bcuz i gave her free stuff. My mom thinks that i should wait till she comes and picks up that stuff and ask her and say that i tried to add her but i think thats a terrible idea. Id rather end up being rejected on messenger than in person. What do you guys think?

crazycoffeeunicorn92
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Jan 2017, 4:28 pm

Im going with my bfs idea. He said i should say"hey if you ever want to talk about kids or anything add me" it still seems alittle awkward but would be least stressful and awkward way to go about it. Its perfect bcuz shes having her first and i just had my 2nd kid so itd seem like i could be willing to give her advice if she wanted it

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2017, 6:23 pm

Im going with my bfs idea. He said i should say"hey if you ever want to talk about kids or anything add me" it still seems alittle awkward but would be least stressful and awkward way to go about it. Its perfect bcuz shes having her first and i just had my 2nd kid so itd seem like i could be willing to give her advice if she wanted it

Sounds like a great idea. Very natural.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 6:31 pm

Since she bought the bassinet from you, just strike up a conversation asking her how the bassinet is working for her and then branch out and ask if it was for her baby or someone else's. If you have kids, start talking about them. Maybe tell her about other baby items you have that she might be interested in. Don't be too overbearing. Start slow with one message starting with the bassinet and see how she responds. Depending if and how she responds will help you in knowing if she is open to conversation with you. If you come on too strong and too fast, it will scare her off. Stay around the topic of the bassinet and baby stuff for a bit.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 6:36 pm

Well so far I havent scared her away told her I had sum baby bottles and a tub for free if she wanted it.she said thank you and i told her she could get it whenever she wanted. I want to flat out tell her that she can add me if she wants but i dont want her to think she has to be my friend just bcuz i gave her free stuff. My mom thinks that i should wait till she comes and picks up that stuff and ask her and say that i tried to add her but i think thats a terrible idea. Id rather end up being rejected on messenger than in person. What do you guys think?

Ok, I just read further and I would do like your Ma said and wait until she comes over to see how she acts. Honestly, to me reading this post sounds like you are obsessing over her being your friend and taking it really seriously. She will pick up on that. Maybe just say you might have some other things she may want later and can you keep in contact with her in case you do have some other baby items she may want?

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

crazycoffeeunicorn92
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jan 2017, 8:52 am

I did what my bf said and it worked. She sent a request and immediately started talking to me. I only talked for alittle bit though didnt want to talk too much.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2017, 5:10 pm

I did what my bf said and it worked. She sent a request and immediately started talking to me. I only talked for alittle bit though didnt want to talk too much.

Good job. Now do it with other people so it becomes natural and you don't seem strange for giving so much attention to one person in particular. Idk why but Neurotypicals have this natural detachment schedule we Aspies don't.

Surf Rider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Feb 2017, 4:32 am

Friendships seem to work better when they evolve organically. I've done it many times where I was like, "I want to be this person's friend" and I tried to be their friend, but the friendship chemistry wasn't there, and the friendship never got going. I'm not sure exactly what makes "friendship chemistry" work, but it I think it has a lot more to do with common challenges than common interests: we're drawn to the people who have the same problems that we do.

Striking up a conversation will work for short-term friendships. As for long-term friendships that are more intimate, I'm not really sure how that works.