Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 7:41 am

My speech seemed to have developed normally at an average time for a child; my parents never did have any concerns for me at an early stage, surprisingly enough. When I was a bit older I do remember how I'd get so frustrated in the petty arguments my mother would start as a pre-teen, I'd 'invent' words to fill in the blank spaces between my long streams of 'counter-attack' sentences, because I couldn't select a real word that sounded right under stress. The funny thing is she never commented on that, even though it happened a lot.
Later still to present, still not much trouble with speech but it does change if I feel anxious, my tone of voice stops altering naturally and there are less pauses, it's awkward because I know I'm doing it too, but can't help it unless I stop talking altogether. The woman who diagnosed me with ASD said that during the five hours me and my parents spoke to her, I kept repeating the word 'zenith', which I can't actually remember doing.

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jan 2017, 8:51 am

I've been around people a lot, so I've tried different kinds of speech patterns.And all of them has disadvantages.
Like talking too fast, I was told that I was eating my words...
talking slowly= robotic
speaking my mind= rude,insensitive, inappropriate...
speaking softly = "only my ass can hear it"( native expression )
talking loudly, they'll ask if I'm angry...

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 3:54 pm

Being developmentally delayed in general, before 3 years old my language stalled. During pre-school, bad-acting kids would blame me (I did not how to explain much). The more I could string words together, the clarity suffered. By age 6 I had developed severe stuttering, speaking too fast and unclearly. When it stopped, my speech was still unclear until age 10 or 11. My mom was frequently 'translating' what I said...for a long time; but even she couldn't understand it all [especially as I kept walking away, still talking to her].

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 4:11 pm

My mother says I was basically nonverbal until four or five. I could repeat what I heard from two to three but didn't speak my own words until four or five. I also apparently had a VERY monotone voice and was LOUD.

Thought Orbit
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Jan 2017, 4:56 pm

When I was young I went to speech therapy for a lisp but I never considered that to be something related to autism, just a badly learned lip formation. I have never really given that a thought, is that a thing?

I do however remember very vividly as a kid I would repeat, literally every single thing that I actually said verbally, a second time under my breath like a whispering voice and could not help it. So strange, but this no longer is with me. Now days I try and keep conversation basic because when I try to involve myself in somebody else's subject all of a sudden my memory vanishes and my words become jumbled and I am seemingly just a total Rando. This is like where I literally will go from knowing where I am driving to not sure if I should turn left right or straight ahead in such a familiar roading situation and suburb, all because of a conversation I am having in the car.

Sorry if that sounds a little off topic

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 8:15 pm

Thought Orbit wrote:
When I was young I went to speech therapy for a lisp but I never considered that to be something related to autism, just a badly learned lip formation.

Well, I wasn't necessarily asking about how your speech was in relation to autism. So it's not off topic at all.

snowmelt
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jan 2017, 10:47 am

My parents were well spoken and bilingual, but didn't talk to much as a kid. My first words were probably around 5. The kids I grew up around talked in slang etc, and in my teens I always mimicked that. Looking back it's cringey but I sort of just reflect what's around me. When I was given acid and told I was autistic for the first time as I dropped it I became conscious of my speech in a different way. I do think I'm good at accents, I can copy whatever.

Caesar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2017, 2:27 pm

I remember I went to special education because I had a speech disorder, ironically I have no idea how to explain what it was but I do recognize myself when you talk about having searching for words when talking or messing them up.
That's a problem that I still have during conversations, it doesn't help that I'm a Performing Arts student either lol

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 10:45 am

I don't know "how has was" my speech was like as a child. My mom said I didn't speak or make eye contact for some time.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 3:14 pm

green0star wrote:
I don't know "how has was"

Sorry about the typo. It was too late to change once I noticed it.

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jan 2017, 10:53 pm

I learned to speak at the average age I think. I'm not sure. However, my problem was that according to my mom I was hyperlexic. Also I frequently made up words in my own language. The teachers wondered if I was speaking my mom's language. My mom told me when I was little I would call a Christmas tree a "meemas tree". Also the psychologist that diagnosed me said I spoke with adult like tone, which is characteristic of Aspie kids, and personally I feel like I have trouble forming words, and it gets worse everyday, I'm not completely sure but my tongue feels awkward when I speak and my sister, whos an NT also has problems with some sounds. I frequently have to repeat what I say and when I listen to recordings of myself I sound so weird, like what people would call "ret*d" or maybe "obnoxious".

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 3:03 am

I was a late talker and had a low verbal IQ so my vocabulary was below my age level and I had a language impairment so language was my weakest spot for understanding things and for learning and reading comprehending. I even read chapter books late and I read late too. I also recieved speech therapy and kids did make fun of me for how I talked and I used to get comments about how I don't know how to talk. Despite my language delay, I still talked a lot. I also took voice lessons so I could learn to take breaths between sentences and talk slower. I had a stutter also and I also talked loud and had problems with the R sounds.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 3:13 am

my folks told me I started speaking words when I was at the normal age, about 12 months. then shortly afterwards I stopped, and did not speak again until about age 4. they took me to a child shrink at that time, and after a few fruitless minutes trying to engage me in speech he shouted at me, "TALK!!" and I shouted back at him, "NO!!"

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 3:34 am

tick wrote:
My family says I was a very early talker and skipped over one word responses and went straight to sentences.

that must have been shocking, for those unprepared. 8O it's pretty cool you did that.

Thought Orbit wrote:
When I was young I went to speech therapy for a lisp but I never considered that to be something related to autism, just a badly learned lip formation. I have never really given that a thought, is that a thing?

i don't think lisps are related to autism, but speech therapy, at least where i went to school, was also concerned with speech issues that were unrelated to autism.

watching other people move their lips and tying it to sounds is a big part of the way children learn speech, your "badly learned lip formation" may have been an error in observation, or maybe other people you know had lisps too. (all my own speculation, these are not at all thoroughly answered questions in linguistics)

i had a "lisp" in elementary school, and i also went to speech therapy for it. in my case, it was "dentalization" of the /s/ and /z/ sounds due to spanish being my first language.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 3:43 am

I too learned to speak at a normal age but I had a bad stutter. One thing that has helped me is meditating; I no longer stutter and I have been meditating for decades. I have also been accused of talking too slow. I also found something interesting when I researched the causes of stuttering. There appears to be a minuscule delay between talking and hearing; someone who doesn't stutter can be made to stutter if they are made to hear a slight delay between speaking and hearing. As a result, I wore earplugs and it appeared to help.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 10:50 am

248RPA wrote:
green0star wrote:
I don't know "how has was"

Sorry about the typo. It was too late to change once I noticed it.

Yea, it stuck out quiet a bit. I guess the forum doesn't let you edit titles after a certain amount of time.