Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Holden14
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jan 2017, 5:39 am

SPOILERS

Has anyone else read this book? The main character has AS and overall I really liked the book but the ending (where he decides to take the treatment to get rid of his AS) really confused me. What did others make of this ending? Why did Lou take the treatment and what message is this supposed to offer readers?

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 9:10 am

I enjoyed the book: reading about how Lou's mind worked, his friendships, his fencing adventures, the unique environment at his workplace. I think Lou didn't realize what he was getting himself into when he signed up for the treatment. As a reader, I was shocked, so maybe he would've been as well. The point was to show that any time you rewire someone's brain, you change their personality at least somewhat. Some of the changes might be beyond the person's control and beyond what they would've wanted had they known, because the brain is all interconnected.

What do you think? What did you like and not like?

Holden14

15 Jan 2017, 4:17 pm

DataB4 wrote:
I enjoyed the book: reading about how Lou's mind worked, his friendships, his fencing adventures, the unique environment at his workplace. I think Lou didn't realize what he was getting himself into when he signed up for the treatment. As a reader, I was shocked, so maybe he would've been as well. The point was to show that any time you rewire someone's brain, you change their personality at least somewhat. Some of the changes might be beyond the person's control and beyond what they would've wanted had they known, because the brain is all interconnected.

What do you think? What did you like and not like?

I think your idea about the point being that it's difficult to predict what will happen when you alter someone's brain makes lots of sense. However, in my understanding, Lou did a lot of research into what the treatment entailed and decided on taking it even after his company stopped pushing him to? Confusing :?
Anyway, I agree that the book was really enjoyable and I found Lou's character very likeable :)