Are the diagnoses on our profiles going to be updated?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 12:27 pm

Once the ICD 11 comes out of beta (which I think is next year), will our profiles change? Both diagnostic manuals will then lack Asperger's so it'd be outdated.

Keeping everything else the same, the options would be:

• Have ASD - Diagnosed
  • Have ASD - Undiagnosed
  • Not sure if I have it or not
  • Family member with ASD
  • Neurotypical

If not, why?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 2:04 am

iliketrees wrote:
Once the ICD 11 comes out of beta (which I think is next year), will our profiles change? Both diagnostic manuals will then lack Asperger's so it'd be outdated.

• Have ASD - Diagnosed
  • Have ASD - Undiagnosed
  • Family member with ASD
  • Neurotypical

If not, why?

• Diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder
  • Diagnosed with Aspergers
  • Self Diagnosed/Identified - Autism/Aspergers
  • Suspect that rI might be on the Autism Spectrum
  • Not on the Autism Spectrum
  • Family member, friend, or partner diagnosed or suspected to be on the Autism Spectrum

I kept Aspergers because the ICD and DSM are guidelines and not mandatory. Clinicions do not lose thier licences for ignoring them. Aspergers has been out of the manual for 4 years here in the states but there is still an occasional member with a post 2013 Aspergers diagnosis. I replaced all abbreviations and Neurotypical because that is jargon that a new member might not understand. I replaced all person first language and did not replace them with identity first language. I add friend, partner because we get many posts about friends and partners, not just family members. For reasons I have never understood "friend" is a common euphemism for a partner one is not married or engaged to.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 16 Jan 2017, 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 2:15 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
iliketrees wrote:

• Have ASD - Diagnosed
  • Have ASD - Undiagnosed
  • Family member with ASD
  • Neurotypical

If not, why?

• Diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder -
  • Suspect I might be on the Autism Spectrum
  • Not on the Autism spectrum
  • Family member, friend, or partner diagnosed or suspected to be on the Autism Spectrum

I kept Aspergers because the ICD and DSM are guidelines and not mandatory. Clinicions do not lose thier licences for ignoring them. Aspergers has been out of the manual for 4 years here in the states but there is still an occasional member with a post 2013 Aspergers diagnosis. I replaced all abbreviations and Neurotypical because that is jargon that a new member might not understand. I replaced all person first language and did not replace them with identity first language

Fair enough to the jargon.

They could be diagnosed using the ICD 10 in the US, just like people outside the US occasionally get diagnosed with the DSM V.

Why is diagnosed with Asperger's separate to diagnosed with ASD? Why not a slash like you did with self-diagnosed?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 2:29 am

iliketrees wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
iliketrees wrote:

• Have ASD - Diagnosed
  • Have ASD - Undiagnosed
  • Family member with ASD
  • Neurotypical

If not, why?

I kept Aspergers because the ICD and DSM are guidelines and not mandatory. Clinicions do not lose thier licences for ignoring them. Aspergers has been out of the manual for 4 years here in the states but there is still an occasional member with a post 2013 Aspergers diagnosis. I replaced all abbreviations and Neurotypical because that is jargon that a new member might not understand. I replaced all person first language and did not replace them with identity first language

They could be diagnosed using the ICD 10 in the US, just like people outside the US occasionally get diagnosed with the DSM V.

Why is diagnosed with Asperger's separate to diagnosed with ASD? Why not a slash like you did with self-diagnosed?

The diagnostic report either says Autism Spectrum Disorder or Aspergers not Aspergers/Autism Spectrum Disorder. I felt I had a little more leeway with a personal choice. I do not feel strongly enough about it to object if the slash was used instead of the extra option for those professionally diagnosed. On second thought I probably would change Autism Spectrum Disorder to Autism Spectrum Disorder/Condition as "condition" doagnosis are being given out.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 2:43 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
iliketrees wrote:

• Have ASD - Diagnosed
  • Have ASD - Undiagnosed
  • Family member with ASD
  • Neurotypical

If not, why?

The diagnostic report either says Autism Spectrum Disorder or Aspergers not Aspergers/Autism Spectrum Disorder. I felt I had a little more leeway with a personal choice. I do not feel strongly enough about it to object if the slash was used instead of the extra option for those professionally diagnosed. On second thought I probably would change Autism Spectrum Disorder to Autism Spectrum Disorder/Condition as "condition" doagnosis are being given out.

There are people with a diagnosis of autism (not autistic spectrum disorder) or a diagnosis of PDD-NOS. If you're going to keep one old label because that's some of our original diagnoses, why not include the other old ones? Why does the original matter, anyway? Asperger's is an ASD, so if you're diagnosed with AS, you are diagnosed with an ASD.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 4:38 am

iliketrees wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
iliketrees wrote:

• Have ASD - Diagnosed
  • Have ASD - Undiagnosed
  • Family member with ASD
  • Neurotypical

If not, why?

There are people with a diagnosis of autism (not autistic spectrum disorder) or a diagnosis of PDD-NOS. If you're going to keep one old label because that's some of our original diagnoses, why not include the other old ones? Why does the original matter, anyway? Asperger's is an ASD, so if you're diagnosed with AS, you are diagnosed with an ASD.

I would keep Aspergers because of it is still occasionaly bieng given out as a current diagnoses and probably will be for awhile and unlike Aspergers at least Autism in the name Autism Spectrum Disorder. As we are discussing in the other thread no naming system is going to be fair until the current hot mess of disagreements is resolved and more is understood.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 4:56 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
iliketrees wrote:

• Have ASD - Diagnosed
  • Have ASD - Undiagnosed
  • Family member with ASD
  • Neurotypical

If not, why?

My thoughts on the whole is Aspergers Autism debate is in this thread viewtopic.php?t=335688&start=15. I would keep Aspergers because of it is still occasionaly bieng given out as a current diagnoses and probably will be for awhile and unlike Aspergers at least Autism in the name Autism Spectrum Disorder. No naming system is going to be fair until the current hot mess of disagreements is resolved.

I see your point to keep it up there in some form, it goes against my opinion but that doesn't matter to be honest, but I don't see why you want to separate it out - why, precisely, do you want:

"Diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder" AND "Diagnosed with Aspergers"

Instead of:

"Diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder/Aspergers"

I don't get it, so please can you explain? Thanks.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Jan 2017, 9:27 am

Would definitely support replacing "Aspergers" with a more inclusive term. I suspect it is unlikely to happen due to technical issues.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 7:13 pm

iliketrees wrote:

"Diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder" AND "Diagnosed with Aspergers"

Instead of:

"Diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder/Aspergers"

I don't get it, so please can you explain? Thanks.

Like I wrote I would have no problem with "Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder/Aspergers"

But there is a large enought segment of the WP membership that is diagnosed with "Aspergers" and describes themselves as Aspergers or Aspie without mentioning autism. And Aspergers is still used a lot in the media. Similar my reasoning for replacing "Have Aspergers - Undiagnosed" with 'Self Diagnosed/Identified"

WoW_Wow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jan 2017, 9:03 pm

How about a category for people who have a mental/neurological disorder but not an ASD?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 12:58 am

^ that would be great to have.

we have a subforum dedicated to other non ASD psychological conditions, but they aren't represented as a diagnosis choice in the profiles. i find that dissonance a bit odd.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.