Can you code a Wordpress.org type site even if not hosted?

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

DinoMongoosePenguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jan 2017, 11:46 pm

I have this dilemma. I am trying to get this job and I can do some of the stuff and they have said they are willing to train me, so it's not crucial that I know EVERYTHING. Nonetheless, I do think I should know SOME things about coding Wordpress and I know the background (I know PHP, etc) and learning an API isn't that hard.

Problem is, I think you have to post it online, and that costs money, and my folks absolutely REFUSE to let me have a credit card (even though I have the money). So I can't get online hosting (Not that I'd need it at the moment, as I already have a Wordpress.com blog.). It's more for the practice.

What I mean is, is there a way via localhost I can see the PHP, etc stuff even if it's not online just like you can with a regular non-online site that is seen on localhost or does Wordpress HAVE to be online to display properly?

(I know you can download the Wordpress stuff without getting a site, but can you at least see a preview of what your stuff would look like BEFORE you upload it?)