Churches aren't immune from social games

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 2:41 pm

I've moved around a lot so I've been to a few different churches. The demographic has varied in each place.

But what Phoenix days struck a chord. In some places being single seemed to short circuit others.

My friend once was having a conversation with her married friend who told her: "I don't know what to do with single people. Will they mind being invited to something with couples.?"

My friend was like, are you nuts. You don't just leave the single people out. They don't mind spending time with a mixed group. They're people the same as you are.

Not sure why single people are viewed with such suspicion.

I've move again. The last church I attended I did feel like I was the single pariah, but here I've been embraced at treated like it's perfectly normal for me to join in. I'm really taken aback actually. It's nice.

Don't be afraid to look around and find some where that suits you. Just because you have problems with people in a few places you've been doesn't mean you won't be able to find a home.

Keep going :)

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 7:07 pm

I have been to several different churches over the years. They all are full of cliques. You gotta have money if you want to fit in. My family has always lived pay check to pay check so we can't tithe as much as everyone else. People avoided us even more after my dad lost his job. People crapped all over us in our time of need. When one of the popular people needs something, everyone bends over backwards for them.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 8:25 pm

Amen to that.....if you don't have much $, they don't really roll out the welcome mat for you.