Page 5 of 20 [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next

Andyllama
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jan 2017, 11:02 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Actually I have a lot of respect for transgender people. Both for the huge commitment they make and for the crap they put up with from both sides of the political spectrum.

The conservatives are ridiculous about the whole thing. Why can't they just let them use the bathroom associated with their identity? They say if a person of the wrong sex goes in to the bathroom it will cause a mass panic. What they forgot is that trans people dress in accordance with their gender identity, not in accordance with the sex they were born with.

i.e. A male to female transsexual wouldn't be dressed like Al Borland from Home Improvement. A male to female transsexual would be dressed like a woman. If someone wearing a dress and long hair goes into the lady's room, it will not cause a mass panic.

The proposed right wing legislation forcing people to use the bathroom of their sex of birth would have the opposite effect. Let's say there's a female to male transsexual who has made himself look convincingly like a man. If you forced him to use the lady's room because he was born female, that would cause precisely the sort of mass panic the conservatives are trying to avoid.

And the idea that transsexuals using the bathroom associated with their gender are actually pedophiles trying to kidnap kids is not only insulting, it's stupid. The idea that a pedo is going to wear a dress and makeup as part of a harebrained scheme is literally like something out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Some of those sickos like little boys and they already have access to the men's room. As for the sickos who are after little girls, remember that unlike the men's room, the ladies room has every toilet divided into stalls. Anyone running out the lady's room with a child under their arm will be seen as an obvious kidnapper and be stopped by mob justice. Anyway, the male to female sex reassignment effectively requires the patent to be castrated. So if some pedo was foolish enough to get a sex change that would be a good thing.

I used to be skeptical of the idea until I spoke to some trans people on another forum. They explained to me that they felt like the outwards sex they were born as was a biological mistake of nature and they had a mind that is biologically hardwired to be the other sex.

Then the SJWs think they're "helping" the transsexuals by saying "sex is nonbiological anyway" when the transsexuals argument rests on the premise that sex is biological.

It's not doing the transsexuals any favours. Some SJWs have claimed that male/female behaviors are 100% learned from culture. This is not true. Look at the David Reimder case. The scientists of the day thought of they gave him an involuntary sex change during infancy, he would grow up learning culturally girlish behaviours and get totally used to it, thus never suspecting that he was once a boy. It failed. He knew that he was really a boy the whole time. He died from suicide.

Preventing a transsexual from getting a sex change would be just as bad. It would have the same effect. It would cause just as much depression and anguish if someone with a female mind was forced to live as a male just because she was born with a penis.

And yet the SJWs say there is no sex difference in the mind. They say male/female behaviours are totally learned from culture. If that was true than transsexuals would have no problem behaving in the way of their birth sex. But clearly they do have a problem with this.

The SJWs make it sound like being transsexual is a choice. It's not a choice. It's a need. They don't just choose to get a sex change on a whim.

We know that being gay is not a choice. Why is it so hard for them to understand that being gay isn't a choice either?

I think it's ridiculous making transsexuals weight until they're 18 to get sex reassignment surgery and hormone treatment. Why wait until after puberty when their body has irreversibly taken on a male appearance? On the other hand it's ridiculous to give this choice to four year olds because at that age they're used to playing pretend.

So if you tell 4 year olds they can be the other sex, and they think this is an opportunity to pretend to be the other sex and then their teacher sees them "identifying" as the opposite sex, tells their left-leaning parents, who take their son to get a surgical procedure which results in his penis and testicles being amputated when really he was a cisgender boy all along. The minimum age should be 10 or 12.

Another problem from some SJWs is this idea that you should ask what someone identifies as. Like the conservatives the SJWs forgot that transsexuals tend to dress as their identified gender. i.e. male to female transsexuals tend to have long hair and female clothing. If you see a guy with a beard and a flannelette shirt it's safe to assume he's not a female to male transsexual so it's ok to use "he" and "him" (and if he just happens to be a female to male transsexual, than "he" and "him" would be appropriate for their gender identity).

I know that sometimes sex reassignment surgery isn't quite perfect and that a male to female transsexual may still have a mannish looking face. This can understandably be very depressing for them. So if you follow the SJW advice and ask if she's a "he" or a "her" this will only reinforce the depressing idea that she's not a real woman. But if you just go with "she" this will reassure her that she is a real woman, even if she wasn't born female.

I really feel for transsexuals because they've put up with BS from both sides. From one side they get accused of being pedophiles and from the other side they get their lifelong struggles trivialised.

I am a transgender male and a conservative libertarian. I see the issue from many perspectives as a result. From the transgender side, I would personally like to be able to use the bathroom that corresponds with my gender identity, of course. But from the conservative's point of view, I also do worry about the possibility of dangers related to allowing a bill that would make it legal for transgender people to us the bathroom of their choice.

For starters, this new law allowing such a thing WILL be taken advantage of by those who are not even transgender to start with. There have already been cases of sexual assault where i am from, Charlotte NC, after the introduction of HB1 and its counter, HB2.

One of my biggest issues is that Charlotte, being only a city, not a state within itself, was not even supposed to be making laws regarding these things in the first pace. Before such drama was started, transgender people, such as myself, used whatever bathroom we pleased all the time without so much as an odd look. Now, because of one city's actions, it has become a major issue.

One solution I believe would help with concerns about people abusing such a law would be cards that one can carry signed by a licensed psychiatrist that is proof that a person is, in fact, transgender and that card would allow them to continue to enter the bathroom they were going into in the case of being questioned. (remember. Most of these people are not transphobic, they are simply afraid of the person simply having intentions other that using the restroom s a trans person, such as sexual assault.)

I believe that one should have also had proper sex change before going into a bathroom or changing room of the opposite sex. Not just for the safety o others, but the potential safety of themselves.

"Autism is not a disability, it's a different ability."
~Stuart Duncan

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 11:37 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Actually I have a lot of respect for transgender people. Both for the huge commitment they make and for the crap they put up with from both sides of the political spectrum.

The conservatives are ridiculous about the whole thing. Why can't they just let them use the bathroom associated with their identity? They say if a person of the wrong sex goes in to the bathroom it will cause a mass panic. What they forgot is that trans people dress in accordance with their gender identity, not in accordance with the sex they were born with.

i.e. A male to female transsexual wouldn't be dressed like Al Borland from Home Improvement. A male to female transsexual would be dressed like a woman. If someone wearing a dress and long hair goes into the lady's room, it will not cause a mass panic.

The proposed right wing legislation forcing people to use the bathroom of their sex of birth would have the opposite effect. Let's say there's a female to male transsexual who has made himself look convincingly like a man. If you forced him to use the lady's room because he was born female, that would cause precisely the sort of mass panic the conservatives are trying to avoid.

And the idea that transsexuals using the bathroom associated with their gender are actually pedophiles trying to kidnap kids is not only insulting, it's stupid. The idea that a pedo is going to wear a dress and makeup as part of a harebrained scheme is literally like something out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Some of those sickos like little boys and they already have access to the men's room. As for the sickos who are after little girls, remember that unlike the men's room, the ladies room has every toilet divided into stalls. Anyone running out the lady's room with a child under their arm will be seen as an obvious kidnapper and be stopped by mob justice. Anyway, the male to female sex reassignment effectively requires the patent to be castrated. So if some pedo was foolish enough to get a sex change that would be a good thing.

I used to be skeptical of the idea until I spoke to some trans people on another forum. They explained to me that they felt like the outwards sex they were born as was a biological mistake of nature and they had a mind that is biologically hardwired to be the other sex.

Then the SJWs think they're "helping" the transsexuals by saying "sex is nonbiological anyway" when the transsexuals argument rests on the premise that sex is biological.

It's not doing the transsexuals any favours. Some SJWs have claimed that male/female behaviors are 100% learned from culture. This is not true. Look at the David Reimder case. The scientists of the day thought of they gave him an involuntary sex change during infancy, he would grow up learning culturally girlish behaviours and get totally used to it, thus never suspecting that he was once a boy. It failed. He knew that he was really a boy the whole time. He died from suicide.

Preventing a transsexual from getting a sex change would be just as bad. It would have the same effect. It would cause just as much depression and anguish if someone with a female mind was forced to live as a male just because she was born with a penis.

And yet the SJWs say there is no sex difference in the mind. They say male/female behaviours are totally learned from culture. If that was true than transsexuals would have no problem behaving in the way of their birth sex. But clearly they do have a problem with this.

The SJWs make it sound like being transsexual is a choice. It's not a choice. It's a need. They don't just choose to get a sex change on a whim.

We know that being gay is not a choice. Why is it so hard for them to understand that being gay isn't a choice either?

I think it's ridiculous making transsexuals weight until they're 18 to get sex reassignment surgery and hormone treatment. Why wait until after puberty when their body has irreversibly taken on a male appearance? On the other hand it's ridiculous to give this choice to four year olds because at that age they're used to playing pretend.

So if you tell 4 year olds they can be the other sex, and they think this is an opportunity to pretend to be the other sex and then their teacher sees them "identifying" as the opposite sex, tells their left-leaning parents, who take their son to get a surgical procedure which results in his penis and testicles being amputated when really he was a cisgender boy all along. The minimum age should be 10 or 12.

Another problem from some SJWs is this idea that you should ask what someone identifies as. Like the conservatives the SJWs forgot that transsexuals tend to dress as their identified gender. i.e. male to female transsexuals tend to have long hair and female clothing. If you see a guy with a beard and a flannelette shirt it's safe to assume he's not a female to male transsexual so it's ok to use "he" and "him" (and if he just happens to be a female to male transsexual, than "he" and "him" would be appropriate for their gender identity).

I know that sometimes sex reassignment surgery isn't quite perfect and that a male to female transsexual may still have a mannish looking face. This can understandably be very depressing for them. So if you follow the SJW advice and ask if she's a "he" or a "her" this will only reinforce the depressing idea that she's not a real woman. But if you just go with "she" this will reassure her that she is a real woman, even if she wasn't born female.

I really feel for transsexuals because they've put up with BS from both sides. From one side they get accused of being pedophiles and from the other side they get their lifelong struggles trivialised.

A few things I need to point out. First, not all transgender people physically transition, for a variety of reasons. To insist they be castrated is a human rights abuse. Second, while SEX is biological, GENDER is cultural. Gender identity is a result of the interplay between biological and cultural factors, it's not simply one or the other, and culture being an influence doesn't make it any more of a choice. Finally, gender, and technically even sex under every definition except the gamete one, are non-binary. It's further complicated by the fact there is a wide range of dress people wear. Many cisgender women dress like men, and there is even plenty of cisgender men who cross-dress. So while gender can be assumed in most situations (at least in person), there is still value in asking it in some (and of course some people would get offended if you ask the question, but in those cases it should be pretty obvious).

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 12:17 am

Andyllama wrote:
I am a transgender male and a conservative libertarian.
I know there are a lot of conservatives libertarian people out there but I can't think of very many libertarians in government. It seems like most of the conservative politicians are less the type of conservativewho are libertarian and more the type of conservative who get their moral guidance from the Old Testament.
Andyllama wrote:
One solution I believe would help with concerns about people abusing such a law would be cards that one can carry signed by a licensed psychiatrist that is proof that a person is, in fact, transgender and that card would allow them to continue to enter the bathroom they were going into in the case of being questioned.
Yeah, that would work.
Ganondox wrote:
A few things I need to point out. First, not all transgender people physically transition, for a variety of reasons. To insist they be castrated is a human rights abuse.
I didn't insist they be castrated.
Ganondox wrote:
Second, while SEX is biological, GENDER is cultural.
Who told you that?
Ganondox wrote:
Gender identity is a result of the interplay between biological and cultural factors, it's not simply one or the other, and culture being an influence doesn't make it any more of a choice.
How is one's gender identity altered by culture?
Ganondox wrote:
Finally, gender, and technically even sex under every definition except the gamete one, are non-binary.
What do you mean by "non-binary"? To transition from one sex to the other still requires no more than two sexes, right?

I accept that a male to female transsexual should be thought of as a real woman. Are you saying they should be thought as a member of a third sex?
Ganondox wrote:
It's further complicated by the fact there is a wide range of dress people wear. Many cisgender women dress like men
If you think that a woman wearing jeans is dressed like a man than you need know that it's not the 1950s anymore.
Ganondox wrote:
and there is even plenty of cisgender men who cross-dress.
There certainly are cisgender men who cross-dress but what does that have to do with guessing which pronouns to use?

Even if I met a cisgender man who was crossdressing, I'd still use "she" and "her" because I wouldn't want to be a jerk and break their character.

Imagine if you appeared on a talk show with Barry Humphries while he's in his Dame Edna character. It would still be correct to use "she" and "her". If you used "he" and "his" that would be as dumb as yelling "it's not real magic" at a stage magician.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 1:28 am

Mass panic? I've seen men in the female toilets many times as cleaners, as I have seen women walk into the male toilets as cleaners. And then there's kids - you see boys with their mothers in the female toilets, right? And I've been in the male one too. I don't see why it'd be a big deal even if you view them as their birth sex, not that you should but just saying.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 1:43 am

iliketrees wrote:
Mass panic? I've seen men in the female toilets many times as cleaners, as I have seen women walk into the male toilets as cleaners. And then there's kids - you see boys with their mothers in the female toilets, right? And I've been in the male one too. I don't see why it'd be a big deal even if you view them as their birth sex, not that you should but just saying.

Yup. In the past people used the bathroom they were most comfortable with, and it was no biggie.

Whenever someone makes a huge affair about something like this, I always wonder what they are trying to distract us from. Corruption? Human rights abuses? Pollution?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 1:48 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
A few things I need to point out. First, not all transgender people physically transition, for a variety of reasons. To insist they be castrated is a human rights abuse.
I didn't insist they be castrated.
Ganondox wrote:
Second, while SEX is biological, GENDER is cultural.
Who told you that?
Ganondox wrote:
Gender identity is a result of the interplay between biological and cultural factors, it's not simply one or the other, and culture being an influence doesn't make it any more of a choice.
How is one's gender identity altered by culture?
Ganondox wrote:
Finally, gender, and technically even sex under every definition except the gamete one, are non-binary.
What do you mean by "non-binary"? To transition from one sex to the other still requires no more than two sexes, right?

I accept that a male to female transsexual should be thought of as a real woman. Are you saying they should be thought as a member of a third sex?
Ganondox wrote:
It's further complicated by the fact there is a wide range of dress people wear. Many cisgender women dress like men
If you think that a woman wearing jeans is dressed like a man than you need know that it's not the 1950s anymore.
Ganondox wrote:
and there is even plenty of cisgender men who cross-dress.
There certainly are cisgender men who cross-dress but what does that have to do with guessing which pronouns to use?

Even if I met a cisgender man who was crossdressing, I'd still use "she" and "her" because I wouldn't want to be a jerk and break their character.

Imagine if you appeared on a talk show with Barry Humphries while he's in his Dame Edna character. It would still be correct to use "she" and "her". If you used "he" and "his" that would be as dumb as yelling "it's not real magic" at a stage magician.

No, you didn't insist they be castrated, but you mentioned that going through the transsexual procedure is akin to castration, most don't actually do that. More often they just take hormones, some don't even do that much. So one wouldn't have to be castrated just to use the other restroom.

With the sex and gender thing, literally everyone who knows anything about biology that I know says that, including my college biology professor (and mind you, I even go to a fairly conservative university) and my father, who used to be a director of education for a health museum. If you disagree, you're just wrong, gender literally isn't a biological term. Rather it's used in cultural anthropology and linguistics, of which I've studied the former a bit. Likewise, if you think sex isn't biological, you're also just wrong. Sex and gender simply aren't the same thing, even though they are often used interchangeably in common speech.

One's gender identity is literally an aspect of culture, how could it NOT be influenced by culture? Even if you try to equate gender with sex, gender identity would STILL be cultural as any sort of identity is cultural.

Binary doesn't mean there is two extremes, it means there is only two categories, period. That's not the case because sex is either a spectrum or has addition categories beyond male and female in any definition other than the gamete one (which refers ONLY to cells, not the entire organism, and just says the larger cell is female while the smaller one is male). Also, sex more complicated than two extremes, it's not just a linear spectrum because there is multiple different sex characteristics which can be expressed independently, and gender goes beyond the bounds of biological sex, it could potentially be anything if the culture accepts it as long as it fits into the same scheme which includes ideas about sex roles.

"To transition from one sex to the other still requires no more than two sexes, right?" No. I have no idea how you could have come to such a conclusion. It just means there is AT LEAST two sexes. I guess the issue is your use of the word other, which is just loading the question. It's not transitioning to the OTHER sex, it's transitioning to the OPPOSITE sex.

No, I'm not saying a transsexual is third sex, they were just a different sex in the past, I'm saying third genders exist, which is something separate entirely, so you're misinterpreting the "SJW" argument.

With women dressing like men, the point I was making is that you couldn't necessary tell the difference between a transgender man and a cisgender women if they are both wearing the same sort of clothes.

As for the cross-dressing men, there are crossdressing men who don't have a character, there is a wide variety of reasons people cross-dress, but I guess it applies more to "man-skirts" from other cultures which people might not realize aren't women clothes because you're right, it would be a pretty rare instance.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 3:22 am

underwater wrote:
Whenever someone makes a huge affair about something like this, I always wonder what they are trying to distract us from. Corruption? Human rights abuses? Pollution?
Very true.
Ganondox wrote:
No, you didn't insist they be castrated, but you mentioned that going through the transsexual procedure is akin to castration, most don't actually do that. More often they just take hormones, some don't even do that much.
I didn't know that. I just thought it was a thing they did.
Ganondox wrote:
So one wouldn't have to be castrated just to use the other restroom.
I guess they wouldn't.
Ganondox wrote:
With the sex and gender thing, literally everyone who knows anything about biology that I know says that
Who?

I was trying to make that one easy for you. This was the part were you were supposed to link to some academic source. Not say "everyone knows that".

If anyone who knows anything about biology knows that, there must have been someone who originated the idea. There must have been some scientific evidence that someone found at some point. There must have been some reason why someone inferred this conclusion based on the data.

It's great that your college biology professor says there's a difference but why does he say there's a difference? According to him, what is the difference and why is there a difference?

Has your professor published any papers you could link to? Has anyone else published something you could link to? Did you already cite something in your work that would be applicable here?

The best answer to these questions would be something scientific but if you want to do it the lazy way you could just argue semantics. I'll accept an argument based solely on the definition of the word "gender" but it would be much more interesting if you shared what you know about the science behind this rather than just focusing on the definition.
Ganondox wrote:
If you disagree, you're just wrong
That's the best argument I've ever read /sarcasm
Ganondox wrote:
gender literally isn't a biological term.
It doesn't have to be a scientific term to have a specific meaning. Where it comes from says nothing about what it means.
Ganondox wrote:
Rather it's used in cultural anthropology and linguistics
Used for what?
Ganondox wrote:
One's gender identity is literally an aspect of culture, how could it NOT be influenced by culture?
How can I accept that argument when it's based on an unproven premise.

If one's gender identity is literally an aspect of culture then one's gender identity would be influenced by culture. If.

If A, then B. First you must prove A.

Is gender influenced by culture or is culture influenced by gender?
Ganondox wrote:
Even if you try to equate gender with sex, gender identity would STILL be cultural as any sort of identity is cultural.
Again, do people's identities come from culture or does the culture result from people's identities?
Ganondox wrote:
Binary doesn't mean there is two extremes, it means there is only two categories, period.
I never said binary means there are two extremes.
Ganondox wrote:
That's not the case because sex is either a spectrum
How is it a spectrum? Are you saying that a ciswoman is more female than a transwoman? Is a ciswoman on the extreme end of your spectrum while a transwomen is somewhere in between?
Ganondox wrote:
or has addition categories beyond male and female in any definition other than the gamete one
And they are?

Why talk about these extra categories if you're not going to mention what they are?
Ganondox wrote:
Also, sex more complicated than two extremes, it's not just a linear spectrum because there is multiple different sex characteristics which can be expressed independently, and gender goes beyond the bounds of biological sex
I'm listening.

What is your complicated system? What are your multiple different sex characteristics?

How do you expect me to agree with you if I don't know what I'm agreeing with? I can't agree with a system if I don't know what that system is.

Since you've studied college level biology and linguistics explaining this should be very easy for you.[/quote]it could potentially be anything if the culture accepts it as long as it fits into the same scheme which includes ideas about sex roles.[/quote]That's a little vague. That doesn't sound like a precisely defined system.

If it's anything culture accepts, does that mean if culture accepted my system I'd be right?
Ganondox wrote:
"To transition from one sex to the other still requires no more than two sexes, right?" No. I have no idea how you could have come to such a conclusion. It just means there is AT LEAST two sexes.
:roll: Isn't that what I just said?

"requires no more than two" means the same thing as "at least two".

It's like if a boat requires at least two people to sail it, it doesn't mean there could be three or four people on the boat.

To transition from one sex to another requires a minimum of two sexes. That doesn't preclude the existence of a third sex. It just doesn't necessitate one.

There might be a third sex but people transitioning from male to female and vice versa wouldn't indicate the existence of a third sex. If there was a third sex it would exist for a totally different reason.

Now before I can believe in the existence of a third sex or a fourth sex or a fifth sex, I'd have to know what these sexes actually are. There's male and there's female and there's _____ and there's _____ and there's _____ and there's...

I'll let you fill in the blanks.
Ganondox wrote:
I guess the issue is your use of the word other, which is just loading the question. It's not transitioning to the OTHER sex, it's transitioning to the OPPOSITE sex.
If sex is a linear spectrum then saying "the other sex" would be wrong and saying "the opposite sex" would be correct to refer to the other extreme end of the linear spectrum. If.

But first you must prove that sex is a linear spectrum. If A, then B doesn't work until after you've proven A.

Before you said sex isn't a linear spectrum. If that's true than I guess "the opposite sex" is also wrong. "Opposite" implies linearity.
Ganondox wrote:
No, I'm not saying a transsexual is third sex
Well that's a relief.
Ganondox wrote:
they were just a different sex in the past, I'm saying third genders exist, which is something separate entirely, so you're misinterpreting the "SJW" argument.
So what is the third sex? I'm not saying there isn't one. I'm just asking what it is?

I'm sure to someone as knowledgeable on biology as you are, this will be a simple question.
Ganondox wrote:
With women dressing like men, the point I was making is that you couldn't necessary tell the difference between a transgender man and a cisgender women if they are both wearing the same sort of clothes.
No you can't tell the difference. My point is there's no need for you to tell the difference.

For both a male to female transsexual and for cisgender women, the appropriate pronouns would be "she" and "her". That's why there's no need to ask them if they identify as male or female. And yes, some SJWs have said we should ask.
Ganondox wrote:
As for the cross-dressing men, there are crossdressing men who don't have a character
Granted but I'd still call them she if was some kind of role-play. Some guys like to wear ladies clothes in private. I won't address them as "he" or "she" because if they do it in private, I won't be around to address them.

I'm not sure how many other scenarios there are. You already said that a kilt or a fustanella doesn't count as cross dressing. I guess if a guy had to wear a dress as a dare it would still be correct to address him by "he". It would be pretty obvious if this was the case.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 1:34 pm

iliketrees wrote:

I do not know what it is like today but I often saw women in the men's facilities when the line/queue for the women's facilities were long.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 1:44 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

We're talking about people who believe there are 300 genders, some of which are "cat", "fire" and "swamp".

LOL, hey, I'm a fire swamp cat, and my pronouns are meow, meows, and meowing! Don't oppress me! :lol:

I identify myself, although i want anyone who hasn't had previous contact with me HAVE TO address me by my pronouns "ret*d, ret*ds and retardself"

PS. There are many autistic people on tumblr who are against using terms such as "dumb, stupid, idiot" saying that they are "ableist".
I am not joking, which is the sad part.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 1:48 pm

TheAP wrote:
^How is it undermining the condition?

Sweetleaf wrote:
If someone on the internet claims to have autism how would you know if they have traits or not? Also most people I've observed who are at the self diagnoses stage are well aware that isn't the same thing as getting a professional evaluation and diagnoses.

I agree with this.

I just know what they write and post about.
And many of the posts say "a professional and self-dx are JUST as valid" (that there is NO difference between them)

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 5:36 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
iliketrees wrote:

I do not know what it is like today but I often saw women in the men's facilities when the line/queue for the women's facilities were long.

Ok maybe not mass panic lol

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 6:36 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:

:wtg:

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 8:38 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
underwater wrote:
Very true.
Ganondox wrote:
No, you didn't insist they be castrated, but you mentioned that going through the transsexual procedure is akin to castration, most don't actually do that. More often they just take hormones, some don't even do that much.
I didn't know that. I just thought it was a thing they did.
Ganondox wrote:
So one wouldn't have to be castrated just to use the other restroom.
I guess they wouldn't.
Ganondox wrote:
With the sex and gender thing, literally everyone who knows anything about biology that I know says that
Who?

I was trying to make that one easy for you. This was the part were you were supposed to link to some academic source. Not say "everyone knows that".

If anyone who knows anything about biology knows that, there must have been someone who originated the idea. There must have been some scientific evidence that someone found at some point. There must have been some reason why someone inferred this conclusion based on the data.

It's great that your college biology professor says there's a difference but why does he say there's a difference? According to him, what is the difference and why is there a difference?

Has your professor published any papers you could link to? Has anyone else published something you could link to? Did you already cite something in your work that would be applicable here?

The best answer to these questions would be something scientific but if you want to do it the lazy way you could just argue semantics. I'll accept an argument based solely on the definition of the word "gender" but it would be much more interesting if you shared what you know about the science behind this rather than just focusing on the definition.
Ganondox wrote:
If you disagree, you're just wrong
That's the best argument I've ever read /sarcasm
Ganondox wrote:
gender literally isn't a biological term.
It doesn't have to be a scientific term to have a specific meaning. Where it comes from says nothing about what it means.
Ganondox wrote:
Rather it's used in cultural anthropology and linguistics
Used for what?
Ganondox wrote:
One's gender identity is literally an aspect of culture, how could it NOT be influenced by culture?
How can I accept that argument when it's based on an unproven premise.

If one's gender identity is literally an aspect of culture then one's gender identity would be influenced by culture. If.

If A, then B. First you must prove A.

Is gender influenced by culture or is culture influenced by gender?
Ganondox wrote:
Even if you try to equate gender with sex, gender identity would STILL be cultural as any sort of identity is cultural.
Again, do people's identities come from culture or does the culture result from people's identities?
Ganondox wrote:
Binary doesn't mean there is two extremes, it means there is only two categories, period.
I never said binary means there are two extremes.
Ganondox wrote:
That's not the case because sex is either a spectrum
How is it a spectrum? Are you saying that a ciswoman is more female than a transwoman? Is a ciswoman on the extreme end of your spectrum while a transwomen is somewhere in between?
Ganondox wrote:
or has addition categories beyond male and female in any definition other than the gamete one
And they are?

Why talk about these extra categories if you're not going to mention what they are?
Ganondox wrote:
Also, sex more complicated than two extremes, it's not just a linear spectrum because there is multiple different sex characteristics which can be expressed independently, and gender goes beyond the bounds of biological sex
I'm listening.

What is your complicated system? What are your multiple different sex characteristics?

How do you expect me to agree with you if I don't know what I'm agreeing with? I can't agree with a system if I don't know what that system is.

Since you've studied college level biology and linguistics explaining this should be very easy for you.
it could potentially be anything if the culture accepts it as long as it fits into the same scheme which includes ideas about sex roles.[/quote]That's a little vague. That doesn't sound like a precisely defined system.

If it's anything culture accepts, does that mean if culture accepted my system I'd be right?
Ganondox wrote:
"To transition from one sex to the other still requires no more than two sexes, right?" No. I have no idea how you could have come to such a conclusion. It just means there is AT LEAST two sexes.
:roll: Isn't that what I just said?

"requires no more than two" means the same thing as "at least two".

It's like if a boat requires at least two people to sail it, it doesn't mean there could be three or four people on the boat.

To transition from one sex to another requires a minimum of two sexes. That doesn't preclude the existence of a third sex. It just doesn't necessitate one.

There might be a third sex but people transitioning from male to female and vice versa wouldn't indicate the existence of a third sex. If there was a third sex it would exist for a totally different reason.

Now before I can believe in the existence of a third sex or a fourth sex or a fifth sex, I'd have to know what these sexes actually are. There's male and there's female and there's _____ and there's _____ and there's _____ and there's...

I'll let you fill in the blanks.
Ganondox wrote:
I guess the issue is your use of the word other, which is just loading the question. It's not transitioning to the OTHER sex, it's transitioning to the OPPOSITE sex.
If sex is a linear spectrum then saying "the other sex" would be wrong and saying "the opposite sex" would be correct to refer to the other extreme end of the linear spectrum. If.

But first you must prove that sex is a linear spectrum. If A, then B doesn't work until after you've proven A.

Before you said sex isn't a linear spectrum. If that's true than I guess "the opposite sex" is also wrong. "Opposite" implies linearity.
Ganondox wrote:
No, I'm not saying a transsexual is third sex
Well that's a relief.
Ganondox wrote:
they were just a different sex in the past, I'm saying third genders exist, which is something separate entirely, so you're misinterpreting the "SJW" argument.
So what is the third sex? I'm not saying there isn't one. I'm just asking what it is?

I'm sure to someone as knowledgeable on biology as you are, this will be a simple question.
Ganondox wrote:
No you can't tell the difference. My point is there's no need for you to tell the difference.

For both a male to female transsexual and for cisgender women, the appropriate pronouns would be "she" and "her". That's why there's no need to ask them if they identify as male or female. And yes, some SJWs have said we should ask.
Ganondox wrote:
As for the cross-dressing men, there are crossdressing men who don't have a character
Granted but I'd still call them she if was some kind of role-play. Some guys like to wear ladies clothes in private. I won't address them as "he" or "she" because if they do it in private, I won't be around to address them.

I'm not sure how many other scenarios there are. You already said that a kilt or a fustanella doesn't count as cross dressing. I guess if a guy had to wear a dress as a dare it would still be correct to address him by "he". It would be pretty obvious if this was the case.[/quote]

If you want an academic source, here you go: http://www.med.monash.edu.au/gendermed/ ... ender.html
You aren’t going to find many papers for two reasons: the terms are from two different fields (only anthropology uses both because it has both a biological and cultural element) and it’s already common knowledge in all the relevant fields. While sex is under debate, the difference between sex and gender is not. Educating people about the difference is for the public, not the experts. The main problem is you are coming into something you know NOTHING about with ignorant assumptions. It’s not a matter of theory, it’s a matter of terminology. In fact, historically sex and gender NEVER meant the same thing. Gender originally was a synonym for kind, and it got adopted by linguistics to refer to the grammar is different for different kinds of words. The association with sex started because in Indo-European languages different sexes usually have different genders, and then anthology came up with the concept of gender before it entered common speech. While gender and sex are used as a synonym by lay people, biologists, anthropologists, and linguistics would NEVER conflate the two.

Since you asked for the actual definitions, here they are:
Sex: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sex
It should be noted this is a vast simplification because the terms are still under debate in their respective fields, and it includes the layman synonym because the definitions of words reflect how people use them. The linguistic definition is still the primary definition of gender though. In any sort of academic context, saying sex is the same thing as gender is as wrong as saying cats are the same things as dogs, it’s simply not how they are defined and you are just simply wrong.

By asking the question of whether identity influences culture or visa versa makes it clear you don’t quite understand what culture even is and you really should take a basic anthropology class. In very basic terms, culture is the sum of all the non-biological elements of people, and that includes identify because identity isn’t the person, but the conception of oneself. As identity is part of culture, your question doesn’t even make sense.

The spectrum concept of sex has nothing to do with transsexuality, it has to do intersexuality. Here is a beginners guide: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex Anyway, exactly what the spectrum is depends on what definition of sex you are using. I’m use the genital definition as an example. There is actually a continuous spectrum of genitalia, with the structure including the penis and scrotum at one extreme, and the vulva at the other (technically speaking it goes beyond those extremes as well because there are larger and smaller penises and whatnot). When we refer to transsexual people, typically it’s using the genital definition, because that’s what can actually be changed. The bathroom debate isn’t about transsexual people though, it’s about transgender people, precisely for all the reasons you listed about presenting. Unlike most transgender people, transsexual people present as their desired sex while nude, which is something that occurs in bathrooms, but they would still be oppressed by the bathroom bill as they are also transgender.

Any extra categories also depends on the particular definition of sex being used. If you use the fertility definition, which is based on what gametes are capable of being produced, there is two additional categories: hermaphrodite (capable of producing both eggs and sperm) and sterile. This definition is relevant to human sex because there are many sterile humans. Of course, this definition is extremely unpopular for human sex, because most people wouldn’t say someone is third gender just because they are sterile.

It’s not my complicated system, if you knew anything about biology you’d know about sex characteristics. These includes everything from primary characteristics like chromosomes, gonads, and genitalia, to secondary characteristics like functional mammary glands, and other sexual dimorphism like that in height or even that in the brain. Without the last aspect, the idea of being transsexual not being a choice is incoherent. Yes, it is extremely complicated, and it would help if you bothered to do some research rather than relying on me to educate you.

(I’ve only actually taken a college biology course, though my brother has taken college linguistic courses, and my father has masters in anthropology and has done some work towards PhD. I’ve also take high school anthology and language classes, and they all covered the difference between sex and gender. Hell, even my MIDDLE SCHOOL French class went over the distinction. )

Yes, the definition of gender is pretty vague, but it’s pretty obvious what the genders in a given culture are. There are many cultures with more than two genders, an example of such is the hijra is South Asian culture. Western culture as a whole currently only has two, but that may change because the idea of a third gender is gaining popularity, and there are plenty of subcultures with third genders. For example, even beyond LGBT culture and tumblr’s bastardized appropriation of it by teens who don’t know what they are talking about, many places like Germany now except accept intersex as a gender.

And no, your system wouldn’t be accepted because it isn’t even a coherent system, it’s just ignorance about what sex means.

“No more” and “at least” mean completely different things. While they aren’t quite exact opposites, it’s the difference between less or equal and greater or equal, so you basically said the opposite of what you supposedly meant.
Anyway, having a defined opposite does NOT imply linearity, it just implies that all the subtraits have a defined opposites. This could be because the subtrait is binary, or it could be a a linear trait, in which case a neutral reference point must be defined for the opposite to be defined. This is because mathematically, the opposite is either defined as reflection around zero, or inverting Boolean values.

“My point is there's no need for you to tell the difference. “ Um, yes there is, as a transgender man is ftm, not mtf, so they would want to be referred to be by opposite pronoun. Also, regarding the bathroom debate, I don’t think most men would appreciate a cisgender woman watching them pee. I think the ideal solution is just to do away with gendered bathrooms and increase privacy.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2017, 12:18 am

Ganondox wrote:
If you want an academic source, here you go: http://www.med.monash.edu.au/gendermed/ ... ender.html
That's your source? It doesn't even cite any scientific studies. :roll:
Ganondox wrote:
You aren’t going to find many papers for two reasons: the terms are from two different fields
So how can there be a distinct difference if they're from two different fields?
Ganondox wrote:
and it’s already common knowledge in all the relevant fields.
How many times do I have to tell you "everyone just knows it" is not an argument.
Ganondox wrote:
While sex is under debate, the difference between sex and gender is not. Educating people about the difference is for the public, not the experts.
No it's not for the experts but shouldn't it be done by the experts?
Ganondox wrote:
The main problem is you are coming into something you know NOTHING about with ignorant assumptions.
What did I assume?
Ganondox wrote:
It’s not a matter of theory, it’s a matter of terminology. In fact, historically sex and gender NEVER meant the same thing. Gender originally was a synonym for kind, and it got adopted by linguistics to refer to the grammar is different for different kinds of words. The association with sex started because in Indo-European languages different sexes usually have different genders, and then anthology came up with the concept of gender before it entered common speech. While gender and sex are used as a synonym by lay people, biologists, anthropologists, and linguistics would NEVER conflate the two.

So you went for the low hanging fruit and just went for dictionary definitions? That's acceptable.

Remember that the dictionary does not dictate reality. Neither do words. Words exist to describe reality, reality does not exist to conform to the dictionary.

I notice the link to the Merriam Webster dictionary you provided has "a subclass within a grammatical class" as the first definition.

I also looked up gender in the ofxord dictionary
Quote:
Notice how the first definition defines gender as the difference between sex, male and female?

Your definition is included lower down. I suppose it makes sense that the most commonly used definition would be at the top. You may say it's wrong but remember language is determined by the people, not by lexicographers. It is there role to document language, not create it.

Also your idea that gender is primarily a grammatical subclass seems strangely irrelevant for modern day English. While it's true that medieval English defined gender as meaning "type" and also included gendered nouns and while it's true there are many other languages that still use gendered nouns, they're not used in present day English.

You wouldn't expect Oxford Dictionary to put this medieval definition at the top would you?

However, I'm not going to just go with Oxford's definition just for convenience's sake. That would be cherry picking and intellectual dishonesty.

Since you're learned in academia, tell me, when two dictionaries disagree on a definition, how do we determine which one is right and which one is wrong?
Ganondox wrote:
It should be noted this is a vast simplification because the terms are still under debate in their respective fields
Yes I can see the terms are still under debate. How can we be so sure what the terms mean when they're still under debate.
Ganondox wrote:
and it includes the layman synonym because the definitions of words reflect how people use them.
Don't you mean the layman definition? Synonym means "one of two or more words or expressions of the same language that have the same or nearly the same meaning in some or all senses"

No where in either the Merriam Webster definition of gender or in the Oxford definition of gender did say the definition of gender as the difference between sexes is for layman.

What is your source that this is the "layman definition"? Or are you just going to say "everyone knows it is" again?
Ganondox wrote:
The linguistic definition is still the primary definition of gender though.
Not according to Oxford. They put the sex difference as the first definition.
Ganondox wrote:
In any sort of academic context, saying sex is the same thing as gender is as wrong as saying cats are the same things as dogs, it’s simply not how they are defined
When did I say I was talking about academic contexts? I was talking about the world in general.

Of course in academia a zoologist could list all the differences between cats and dogs and describe how they're related both evolutionary and taxonomically. A zoologist wouldn't just say cats and dogs are different because the dictionary says so. A zoologist could prove cats and dogs are different scientifically.

Are you sure there's no scientific difference between sex and gender? If you say the only difference is in the Merriam Webster dictionary that's rather like saying the map shapes the territory rather than the territory shapes the map.
Ganondox wrote:
and you are just simply wrong.
Another brilliant argument from Ganondox.

That was sarcasm in case you couldn't tell.
Ganondox wrote:
By asking the question of whether identity influences culture or visa versa makes it clear you don’t quite understand what culture even is
Not an argument.
Ganondox wrote:
and you really should take a basic anthropology class.
Are you going to pay for it?

Remember that I work full time. I can't take five classes at once. My career is in IT. Any classes I take will be IT classes with the aim of advancing my career. I'm not going to spend any time or money on classes that don't pertain to my career.
Ganondox wrote:
In very basic terms, culture is the sum of all the non-biological elements of people, and that includes identify because identity isn’t the person, but the conception of oneself.
I never said identity is the person I said identity is influenced by the person.
Ganondox wrote:
As identity is part of culture, your question doesn’t even make sense.
Are you saying a thing can't be influenced by one of it's components? That's like saying the direction of a car can't be influenced by the steering wheel.
Ganondox wrote:
The spectrum concept of sex has nothing to do with transsexuality, it has to do intersexuality.
I never claimed it had anything to do with transexuality.
Ganondox wrote:
Here is a beginners guide: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex
So intersex is a combinition of male and female? How does it contain elements of a third sex then?
Ganondox wrote:
Anyway, exactly what the spectrum is depends on what definition of sex you are using.
Well if we can pick and choose our definitions that means we can prove anything is right.
Ganondox wrote:
I’m use the genital definition as an example.
I'm sure that's as good as any.
Ganondox wrote:
There is actually a continuous spectrum of genitalia, with the structure including the penis and scrotum at one extreme, and the vulva at the other (technically speaking it goes beyond those extremes as well because there are larger and smaller penises and whatnot).
Again, a combinition of male and female. Where is the third sex in this?

Before you said sex is not just a linear spectrum between male and female. Are you recanting that statement?
Ganondox wrote:
When we refer to transsexual people, typically it’s using the genital definition, because that’s what can actually be changed. The bathroom debate isn’t about transsexual people though, it’s about transgender people
Honestly I don't care who uses which bathroom but even if they don't have surgury you still haven't proven there's any difference between transgender and transexual.

I'm not saying there is no difference, I'm simply awaiting proof.
Ganondox wrote:
precisely for all the reasons you listed about presenting.
Not that kind of proof. Circular arguments don't count.

Saying "your disbelief in A is proof that A is true" is not a sensible argument.
Ganondox wrote:
Unlike most transgender people, transsexual people present as their desired sex while nude, which is something that occurs in bathrooms
They won't present as anything if they're in the cubicle.

Remember the ladies room doesn't have a urinal so they'll be a cubicle. No one is going to see what their genitals look like while they're alone in a cubicle.
Ganondox wrote:
but they would still be oppressed by the bathroom bill as they are also transgender.
What oppresive thing did the bathroom bill say?
Ganondox wrote:
It’s not my complicated system, if you knew anything about biology you’d know about sex characteristics. These includes everything from primary characteristics like chromosomes, gonads, and genitalia, to secondary characteristics like functional mammary glands, and other sexual dimorphism like that in height or even that in the brain.
Without the last aspect, the idea of being transsexual not being a choice is incoherent.
So you think I've never heard of chromosomes, gonads, genitalia, mammary glands and sexual dimorphism? You must have a very low opinion of me.

The SJW claim that there is no sexual dimorphism in the brain is one of the reasons why I think the SJW movement is harmful to transexuals.[/quote]Yes, it is extremely complicated, and it would help if you bothered to do some research rather than relying on me to educate you.[/quote]I'm not relying you to educate me, I was giving you an opportunity to prove your claims. It's called being a good sport.
Ganondox wrote:
Hell, even my MIDDLE SCHOOL French class went over the distinction.
Yes and in France they learn about that as toddlers but the reason why it isn't taught in English is because English doesn't have gendered nouns.
Ganondox wrote:
Yes, the definition of gender is pretty vague
But that doesn't stop you from making specific claims about it.
Ganondox wrote:
but it’s pretty obvious what the genders in a given culture are.
"It's pretty obvious that my claims are right" is not an argument.

Since we're telling each other which classes to take I suggest you take a class on rhetoric.
Ganondox wrote:
There are many cultures with more than two genders, an example of such is the hijra is South Asian culture.
Do the Hijra believe in a third gender or do they believe in a third sex?
Ganondox wrote:
tumblr’s bastardized appropriation of it by teens who don’t know what they are talking about
What did the TumbLr teens say to bastardize LBGT?
Ganondox wrote:
many places like Germany now except accept intersex as a gender.
If intersex is a third gender in Germany it still seems like the Germans' definition of this third gender is based on sex. I.e. the definition of intersex is a combination of male and female genitals and intersex is the third gender.

This does not support the idea the sex and gender are separate.
Ganondox wrote:
And no, your system wouldn’t be accepted because it isn’t even a coherent system, it’s just ignorance about what sex means.
How is my system incoherent? How is it just ignorance about what sex means?

How can we have a clear idea of what sex means when there are competing definitions?
Ganondox wrote:
“No more” and “at least” mean completely different things. While they aren’t quite exact opposites, it’s the difference between less or equal and greater or equal, so you basically said the opposite of what you supposedly meant.
I said it would "require no more than two". The key word there is require. There may be more than two but the minimum requirement is two.

Didn't I already explain this?
Ganondox wrote:
Anyway, having a defined opposite does NOT imply linearity, it just implies that all the subtraits have a defined opposites. This could be because the subtrait is binary, or it could be a a linear trait, in which case a neutral reference point must be defined for the opposite to be defined. This is because mathematically, the opposite is either defined as reflection around zero, or inverting Boolean values.
At last an actual argument from Ganondox. You deserve full points for this one.

For sex to be nonlinear wouldn't there need to be more than one pair of opposites?

So far we have a single pair of opposites, male and female. What is the second pair of opposites? Is there a third?
Ganondox wrote:
“My point is there's no need for you to tell the difference. “ Um, yes there is, as a transgender man is ftm, not mtf, so they would want to be referred to be by opposite pronoun.
Where's the need?

True that a transgender man is ftm, I never said otherwise. So if he maintains the appearance of a male he's either an ftm transexual or a cisgender male. Either way you can safely use "he" and "his". So there's still no need to know the difference (you could ask but it would be a rather personal question).

I never said a transgender man is mtf.
Ganondox wrote:
Also, regarding the bathroom debate, I don’t think most men would appreciate a cisgender woman watching them pee.
I'd be very surprised to see a cisgender woman peeing next to me at the urinal. Why would she do that?

I can't think of any scenario in which a ciswoman would want to use the men's room. It's the trans people who want to use the other bathroom. Why are you basing your argument on a fanciful scenario.
Ganondox wrote:
I think the ideal solution is just to do away with gendered bathrooms and increase privacy.
It wouldn't effect me either way. So long as I have a bathroom to use I don't really care what form it takes.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2017, 4:36 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
That's your source? It doesn't even cite any scientific studies. :roll:
Ganondox wrote:
You aren’t going to find many papers for two reasons: the terms are from two different fields
So how can there be a distinct difference if they're from two different fields?
Ganondox wrote:
and it’s already common knowledge in all the relevant fields.
How many times do I have to tell you "everyone just knows it" is not an argument.
Ganondox wrote:
While sex is under debate, the difference between sex and gender is not. Educating people about the difference is for the public, not the experts.
No it's not for the experts but shouldn't it be done by the experts?
Ganondox wrote:
The main problem is you are coming into something you know NOTHING about with ignorant assumptions.
What did I assume?
Ganondox wrote:
It’s not a matter of theory, it’s a matter of terminology. In fact, historically sex and gender NEVER meant the same thing. Gender originally was a synonym for kind, and it got adopted by linguistics to refer to the grammar is different for different kinds of words. The association with sex started because in Indo-European languages different sexes usually have different genders, and then anthology came up with the concept of gender before it entered common speech. While gender and sex are used as a synonym by lay people, biologists, anthropologists, and linguistics would NEVER conflate the two.

So you went for the low hanging fruit and just went for dictionary definitions? That's acceptable.

Remember that the dictionary does not dictate reality. Neither do words. Words exist to describe reality, reality does not exist to conform to the dictionary.

I notice the link to the Merriam Webster dictionary you provided has "a subclass within a grammatical class" as the first definition.

I also looked up gender in the ofxord dictionary
Quote:
Notice how the first definition defines gender as the difference between sex, male and female?

Your definition is included lower down. I suppose it makes sense that the most commonly used definition would be at the top. You may say it's wrong but remember language is determined by the people, not by lexicographers. It is there role to document language, not create it.

Also your idea that gender is primarily a grammatical subclass seems strangely irrelevant for modern day English. While it's true that medieval English defined gender as meaning "type" and also included gendered nouns and while it's true there are many other languages that still use gendered nouns, they're not used in present day English.

You wouldn't expect Oxford Dictionary to put this medieval definition at the top would you?

However, I'm not going to just go with Oxford's definition just for convenience's sake. That would be cherry picking and intellectual dishonesty.

Since you're learned in academia, tell me, when two dictionaries disagree on a definition, how do we determine which one is right and which one is wrong?
Ganondox wrote:
It should be noted this is a vast simplification because the terms are still under debate in their respective fields
Yes I can see the terms are still under debate. How can we be so sure what the terms mean when they're still under debate.
Ganondox wrote:
and it includes the layman synonym because the definitions of words reflect how people use them.
Don't you mean the layman definition? Synonym means "one of two or more words or expressions of the same language that have the same or nearly the same meaning in some or all senses"

No where in either the Merriam Webster definition of gender or in the Oxford definition of gender did say the definition of gender as the difference between sexes is for layman.

What is your source that this is the "layman definition"? Or are you just going to say "everyone knows it is" again?
Ganondox wrote:
The linguistic definition is still the primary definition of gender though.
Not according to Oxford. They put the sex difference as the first definition.
Ganondox wrote:
In any sort of academic context, saying sex is the same thing as gender is as wrong as saying cats are the same things as dogs, it’s simply not how they are defined
When did I say I was talking about academic contexts? I was talking about the world in general.

Of course in academia a zoologist could list all the differences between cats and dogs and describe how they're related both evolutionary and taxonomically. A zoologist wouldn't just say cats and dogs are different because the dictionary says so. A zoologist could prove cats and dogs are different scientifically.

Are you sure there's no scientific difference between sex and gender? If you say the only difference is in the Merriam Webster dictionary that's rather like saying the map shapes the territory rather than the territory shapes the map.
Ganondox wrote:
and you are just simply wrong.
Another brilliant argument from Ganondox.

That was sarcasm in case you couldn't tell.
Ganondox wrote:
By asking the question of whether identity influences culture or visa versa makes it clear you don’t quite understand what culture even is
Not an argument.
Ganondox wrote:
and you really should take a basic anthropology class.
Are you going to pay for it?

Remember that I work full time. I can't take five classes at once. My career is in IT. Any classes I take will be IT classes with the aim of advancing my career. I'm not going to spend any time or money on classes that don't pertain to my career.
Ganondox wrote:
In very basic terms, culture is the sum of all the non-biological elements of people, and that includes identify because identity isn’t the person, but the conception of oneself.
I never said identity is the person I said identity is influenced by the person.
Ganondox wrote:
As identity is part of culture, your question doesn’t even make sense.
Are you saying a thing can't be influenced by one of it's components? That's like saying the direction of a car can't be influenced by the steering wheel.
Ganondox wrote:
The spectrum concept of sex has nothing to do with transsexuality, it has to do intersexuality.
I never claimed it had anything to do with transexuality.
Ganondox wrote:
Here is a beginners guide: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex
So intersex is a combinition of male and female? How does it contain elements of a third sex then?
Ganondox wrote:
Anyway, exactly what the spectrum is depends on what definition of sex you are using.
Well if we can pick and choose our definitions that means we can prove anything is right.
Ganondox wrote:
I’m use the genital definition as an example.
I'm sure that's as good as any.
Ganondox wrote:
There is actually a continuous spectrum of genitalia, with the structure including the penis and scrotum at one extreme, and the vulva at the other (technically speaking it goes beyond those extremes as well because there are larger and smaller penises and whatnot).
Again, a combinition of male and female. Where is the third sex in this?

Before you said sex is not just a linear spectrum between male and female. Are you recanting that statement?
Ganondox wrote:
When we refer to transsexual people, typically it’s using the genital definition, because that’s what can actually be changed. The bathroom debate isn’t about transsexual people though, it’s about transgender people
Honestly I don't care who uses which bathroom but even if they don't have surgury you still haven't proven there's any difference between transgender and transexual.

I'm not saying there is no difference, I'm simply awaiting proof.
Ganondox wrote:
precisely for all the reasons you listed about presenting.
Not that kind of proof. Circular arguments don't count.

Saying "your disbelief in A is proof that A is true" is not a sensible argument.
Ganondox wrote:
Unlike most transgender people, transsexual people present as their desired sex while nude, which is something that occurs in bathrooms
They won't present as anything if they're in the cubicle.

Remember the ladies room doesn't have a urinal so they'll be a cubicle. No one is going to see what their genitals look like while they're alone in a cubicle.
Ganondox wrote:
but they would still be oppressed by the bathroom bill as they are also transgender.
What oppresive thing did the bathroom bill say?
Ganondox wrote:
It’s not my complicated system, if you knew anything about biology you’d know about sex characteristics. These includes everything from primary characteristics like chromosomes, gonads, and genitalia, to secondary characteristics like functional mammary glands, and other sexual dimorphism like that in height or even that in the brain.
Without the last aspect, the idea of being transsexual not being a choice is incoherent.
So you think I've never heard of chromosomes, gonads, genitalia, mammary glands and sexual dimorphism? You must have a very low opinion of me.

The SJW claim that there is no sexual dimorphism in the brain is one of the reasons why I think the SJW movement is harmful to transexuals.
Yes, it is extremely complicated, and it would help if you bothered to do some research rather than relying on me to educate you.[/quote]I'm not relying you to educate me, I was giving you an opportunity to prove your claims. It's called being a good sport.
Ganondox wrote:
Hell, even my MIDDLE SCHOOL French class went over the distinction.
Yes and in France they learn about that as toddlers but the reason why it isn't taught in English is because English doesn't have gendered nouns.
Ganondox wrote:
Yes, the definition of gender is pretty vague
But that doesn't stop you from making specific claims about it.
Ganondox wrote:
but it’s pretty obvious what the genders in a given culture are.
"It's pretty obvious that my claims are right" is not an argument.

Since we're telling each other which classes to take I suggest you take a class on rhetoric.
Ganondox wrote:
There are many cultures with more than two genders, an example of such is the hijra is South Asian culture.
Do the Hijra believe in a third gender or do they believe in a third sex?
Ganondox wrote:
tumblr’s bastardized appropriation of it by teens who don’t know what they are talking about
What did the TumbLr teens say to bastardize LBGT?
Ganondox wrote:
many places like Germany now except accept intersex as a gender.
If intersex is a third gender in Germany it still seems like the Germans' definition of this third gender is based on sex. I.e. the definition of intersex is a combination of male and female genitals and intersex is the third gender.

This does not support the idea the sex and gender are separate.
Ganondox wrote:
How is my system incoherent? How is it just ignorance about what sex means?

How can we have a clear idea of what sex means when there are competing definitions?
Ganondox wrote:
I said it would "require no more than two". The key word there is require. There may be more than two but the minimum requirement is two.

Didn't I already explain this?
Ganondox wrote:
At last an actual argument from Ganondox. You deserve full points for this one.

For sex to be nonlinear wouldn't there need to be more than one pair of opposites?

So far we have a single pair of opposites, male and female. What is the second pair of opposites? Is there a third?
Ganondox wrote:
“My point is there's no need for you to tell the difference. “ Um, yes there is, as a transgender man is ftm, not mtf, so they would want to be referred to be by opposite pronoun.
Where's the need?

True that a transgender man is ftm, I never said otherwise. So if he maintains the appearance of a male he's either an ftm transexual or a cisgender male. Either way you can safely use "he" and "his". So there's still no need to know the difference (you could ask but it would be a rather personal question).

I never said a transgender man is mtf.
Ganondox wrote:
Also, regarding the bathroom debate, I don’t think most men would appreciate a cisgender woman watching them pee.
I'd be very surprised to see a cisgender woman peeing next to me at the urinal. Why would she do that?

I can't think of any scenario in which a ciswoman would want to use the men's room. It's the trans people who want to use the other bathroom. Why are you basing your argument on a fanciful scenario.
Ganondox wrote:
I think the ideal solution is just to do away with gendered bathrooms and increase privacy.
It wouldn't effect me either way. So long as I have a bathroom to use I don't really care what form it takes.[/quote]

No, it's not my source, again my actual source is a life time of involvement with this subject, I'm just giving you something because you asked for one, and it is from an academic source, did you not see the edu? Of course it doesn't cite any studies, as studies are completely irrelevant to the question, that's what you don't seem to get. Your insistence there must be scientific difference between sex and gender is frankly a nonsensical concept because it's literally semantics, and it shows a general lack of understanding about science in general. You're so off the mark you can't even comprehend what the mark is. I'm not going to continue this conversation because you're just being stubborn and making a pedantic non-argument because you think you know more than you actually do and have *awful* reading comprehension (maybe it would be better if you stopped taking every PHRASE out of context!). The information is all there and extremely easy to get, you're just wasting my time. I already answered most your questions anyway (I'll address the ones I didn't, for the rest just reread what I already wrote and try thinking about it a little harder), and the sources you brought up on your own actually confirmed what I was saying (for example the Oxford dictionary had the same definitions as the Merriam Webster dictionary, just phrased differently and in a different order, again there is literally no debate that gender is culture while sex is biology).

PS: Do you know what a layman even is? It's someone who isn't an expert. By default, the definitions of words are for layman unless it's specialized terminology.

PSS: There is several definitions of sex WITHIN the scientific community, but they all relate back to the gamete definition of sex in one way or another and relate to the problem that the gamete definition can't be extended beyond the cellular level. You can't just make up your own definition of sex because the scientific community would have to accept as being valid in some manner. Again, the main problem is that you don't have the basic level of context to even be a part of this conversation, and I can't just give that to you here. Of course you're just going to say that's a non-argument, but that's because you're coming from the position of ignorance, you don't even know what you don't know. From where I stand, it's extremely obvious what's going on.

PSSS: The bathroom bill is the one that required people to use the bathrooms of their birth gender.

PSSSS: When you hear people talking about genders like star, that's an example of bastardization of LGBT culture, as it's not a real third gender by any stretch. That's just one example, there is countless others.

PSSSSS: With the "requires no more than two" thing, the issue was parsing, giving it the opposite meaning that you intended, especially with all the unneeded qualifiers like "still". What you should have written was "it doesn't require more than two sexes".

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2017, 6:29 am

I realise you're not going to respond to this. That's your prerogative. I'll respond anyway because I really enjoy these discussions.

Ganondox wrote:
No, it's not my source, again my actual source is a life time of involvement with this subject, I'm just giving you something because you asked for one
So you had a decent source and you gave me that instead?

Maybe your source is only available in a text book but you said your sources were "easily available".
Ganondox wrote:
and it is from an academic source, did you not see the edu?
I saw that it was intended for nursing students. Now I have a great deal of respect for nurses. I know many of them are specialists in their field but your source was not specialist knowladge. It breifly stated what but it didn't state why.
Ganondox wrote:
Of course it doesn't cite any studies, as studies are completely irrelevant to the question, that's what you don't seem to get.
Why are studies completely irrelevant to this question?

You keep on making baseless claims such as "studies are completely irrelevant to this question" without providing any reason for them.

You do realise in rhetoric you don't just make a statement out of the blue with no reason, don't you?
Ganondox wrote:
Your insistence there must be scientific difference between sex and gender is frankly a nonsensical concept because it's literally semantics
You want to go with semantics? That's fine. We can go with semantics if you want but I still think it's a little dissapointing that your proof gender exists as a separate thing is that there's a seperate word for it. There's a word for dragon and yes, it's in the dictionary but that doesn't prove dragons really exist, does it.

You can't prove everything using semantics because a million different things existed before language even developed. Those things were no less real just because they didn't have names.
Ganondox wrote:
You're so off the mark you can't even comprehend what the mark is.
There's no need for insults. Please be mature about this.
Ganondox wrote:
I'm not going to continue this conversation
That's fine by me.
Ganondox wrote:
you're just being stubborn and making a pedantic non-argument
I could say the same for you. Most of your so-called arguments were just "everyone just knows it so it must be true" and "sex is something totally different" without saying what it is and "it's pretty obvious that I'm right" and "you can't even comprehend what the mark is, therefor I'm right"
Ganondox wrote:
because you think you know more than you actually do
Please don't project your own problems on to me.

You speak as though you think you're a scientist and yet you don't know how to back up your claims or even how to describe the system of sex that you claim is the correct one.

I never said that your system of sex is the wrong one, I just said you hadn't actually described it.
Ganondox wrote:
and have *awful* reading comprehension
Where did I have aweful reading comprehension.
Ganondox wrote:
(maybe it would be better if you stopped taking every PHRASE out of context!).
Which phrases did I take out of context?
Ganondox wrote:
The information is all there and extremely easy to get
And yet you seem to have a hard time getting it. If it's so easy to get you could provide me with a link describing why sex and gender are different in a matter of seconds.

Remember that thing for nursing students said nothing about why they're different. It was little more than a glossary.
Ganondox wrote:
you're just wasting my time.
No one can waste your time but you.
Ganondox wrote:
I already answered most your questions anyway (I'll address the ones I didn't, for the rest just reread what I already wrote and try thinking about it a little harder), and the sources you brought up on your own actually confirmed what I was saying (for example the Oxford dictionary had the same definitions as the Merriam Webster dictionary, just phrased differently and in a different order, again there is literally no debate that gender is culture while sex is biology).
That's right. They both had the same definitions (plural) in a different order, including the biological definition of gender.
Ganondox wrote:
PS: Do you know what a layman even is?
Yes. It's a fairly common term. You must have quite a low opinion of me if you think I don't know common words.
Ganondox wrote:
It's someone who isn't an expert. By default, the definitions of words are for layman unless it's specialized terminology.
But gender isn't specialised terminolgy. It's also a common word.
Ganondox wrote:
PSS: There is several definitions of sex WITHIN the scientific community, but they all relate back to the gamete definition of sex in one way or another and relate to the problem that the gamete definition can't be extended beyond the cellular level.
When did I ever claim otherwise?
Ganondox wrote:
You can't just make up your own definition of sex
Of course I can't. I wasn't attempting to make up my own definition of sex. In fact at my point in my posts did I even define what sex is.
Ganondox wrote:
Again, the main problem is that you don't have the basic level of context to even be a part of this conversation, and I can't just give that to you here. Of course you're just going to say that's a non-argument, but that's because you're coming from the position of ignorance, you don't even know what you don't know. From where I stand, it's extremely obvious what's going on.
And of course you're going to say that I should simply major in biology but that's just not practical. I can't just quit my job to study full time in an unrelated field. I can't spend $50,000 to do that.

Sure I could Google all this stuff as you suggested but then you'd say it doesn't count because I'm not college educated.

The trouble with Googling stuff is that you can find stuff to support any position on Google. That's why I gave you the chance to provide sources, to make it fair for you.

Maybe you're right. Maybe I took on more than I could chew. Maybe I'm simply not smart enough to understand the science behind this. Not being smart enough is the story of my life.

I didn't even disagree with your claims, simply the way you presented them without proof. I'm sorry if I annoyed you. That was not my intention.
Ganondox wrote:
PSSSSS: With the "requires no more than two" thing, the issue was parsing, giving it the opposite meaning that you intended, especially with all the unneeded qualifiers like "still". What you should have written was "it doesn't require more than two sexes".
Well that clears that up.