The downfall of the Washington establishment

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 6:34 am

As you know, the United States has had several intractable problems and they include:

* Failure to adopt truly universal health care
* Failure to metricate
* Failure to ensure true equality for minority groups
* Failure to provide for and fund adequate defense for the vast majority of criminal defendants
* Parts of the country keeping large numbers of people in jail for months or even years without charge because they can't get them defense attorneys
* Turning the police into virtual paramilitary forces
* The massive surveillance state
* The overseas interventions and bombings which have left a swath of death and destruction across large parts of the world

And most importantly:

* Failure of adequate response to global warming, or even of large portions of the establishment to admit the problem even exists

Even with all these, I was willing to go along with it, in the hopes that the system was improving, but then I discovered the way the Washington establishment is treating our expats that live abroad, by imposing an extraordinary tax regime on them (in addition to the tax regime of their resident countries), which was originally passed because many Americans hate Americans who choose to settle abroad, and then by stepping it up because they didn't have the fortitude to raise taxes to pay for necessary programs at home by passing FATCA, which unilaterally imposes requirements on the rest of the world. Now many U.S. expats can't open bank or retirement accounts and are placed at a disadvantage compared to other expats in the same country of residence. And they cry out to their politicians, who promptly ignore them, which is just evil. In my opinion, what is going on here shows just how dysfunctional on so many levels the Washington establishment is.

Even with the potentially harmful policies of Donald Trump, I am happy that the Washington establishment is now finally getting its comeuppance. As they say, you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. I am glad to see that with the election of the odious, trash-talking Donald Trump and a total of 14 candidates receiving electoral votes this past election (7 for president and 7 for vice president), the U.S. political system is finally being shown for the joke it is.