Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 1:42 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
hvtitan08 wrote:
Would a person who is Pentecostal classify the Pentecostal denomination as Protestant?

Yes. My second-eldest sister's husband was a Pentecostal preacher----and, my sister owned a Faith radio station----and, they both thought of themselves, as protestant.

Also, I agree that there are many, if not most, Christian denominations that have, for centuries, believed individuals participated in their salvation, as I've been in alot of different kinds of churches. Basically, if they believe in following The Bible, and love their neighbor, and don't kill anyone, and don't steal, etc., they are participating in their salvation.

With the Protestant Reformation, Protestant theologians had always stressed salvation was always the work of God in us, rather than based on our cooperation with God, be it Luther's emphasis on grace, or Calvin's doctrine of predestination. Now, that hardly means there isn't a place for good works and good behavior, as the Reformation's fathers, and their mainline theological descendants, believe good works are the fruits of faith, which is worked in us by the Holy Spirit. Or in other words, real Christians will automatically do good works and love their neighbor just because it's the Christian thing to do.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 2:01 pm

So that's the way Lutherans see it? According to the others, while Grace is unearned, faith without works is dead.

Methodists for example are a bit different than Lutherans in emphasis:

Quote:
United Methodists insist that faith and good works belong together. What we believe must be confirmed by what we do. Personal salvation must be expressed in ministry and mission in the world. We believe that Christian doctrine and Christian ethics are inseparable, that faith should inspire service. The integration of personal piety and social holiness has been a hallmark of our tradition. We affirm the biblical precept that "faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead” (James 2:17)

http://www.umc.org/what-we-believe/our- ... n-heritage

Then again, some of Wesley's views on bringing up children are indistinguishable from child abuse, so there you are. All have fallen short, and so on.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 3:51 pm

Adamantium wrote:
Pentecost is Greek for Shavuot, the "Festival of Weeks", so it can be used to describe either the Jewish Holy Day or the particular Shavuot following the Ascension...

That is what does not seem right to me, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by leejosepho on 19 Jan 2017, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 4:33 pm

Adamantium wrote:
So that's the way Lutherans see it? According to the others, while Grace is unearned, faith without works is dead.

Methodists for example are a bit different than Lutherans in emphasis:

Quote:
United Methodists insist that faith and good works belong together. What we believe must be confirmed by what we do. Personal salvation must be expressed in ministry and mission in the world. We believe that Christian doctrine and Christian ethics are inseparable, that faith should inspire service. The integration of personal piety and social holiness has been a hallmark of our tradition. We affirm the biblical precept that "faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead” (James 2:17)

http://www.umc.org/what-we-believe/our- ... n-heritage

Then again, some of Wesley's views on bringing up children are indistinguishable from child abuse, so there you are. All have fallen short, and so on.

For faith to be real, it must produce good works, but we don't believe it earns us salvation.