Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 10:18 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Darmok wrote:
Never had a nose ring, but I did I have a bolt through my neck for a while. It started to interfere with Wi-Fi reception, though, so I had to take it out.

You're full of crap, Mr. Darmok. :mrgreen:

Yes, well, I wouldn't expect a mere nurse to be familiar with advanced medical technology.

There Are Four Lights!

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 10:20 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Howdy. I'm having a quandary. For the most part, I am very conservative and old fashioned, however, at times I have a "I feel like breaking the rules" side to me. THE PROBLEM: I want a nose piercing, but what has stopped me is work because it is against the rules (and I am a big rule follower). It has taken me over a month to find a decent place who will do the piercing and I have figured out that I can cover it up at work with some sort of bandaid or makeup. Also, several night shift co-workers have them and they also have tattoos which are against the rules.

I am not in my 20's anymore. My question is: What are your thoughts on adult women having a nose ring? Is it attractive or looked down upon (especially for someone who is wanting to continue with their education and become a nurse practitioner)? I hate for my job to dictate how I can live my life, however, I do find people with a lot of tattoos to look very unprofessional. Is a nose ring in the same category?

Don't
Too old.
Just NO.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 11:00 pm

QuillAlba wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
Howdy. I'm having a quandary. For the most part, I am very conservative and old fashioned, however, at times I have a "I feel like breaking the rules" side to me. THE PROBLEM: I want a nose piercing, but what has stopped me is work because it is against the rules (and I am a big rule follower). It has taken me over a month to find a decent place who will do the piercing and I have figured out that I can cover it up at work with some sort of bandaid or makeup. Also, several night shift co-workers have them and they also have tattoos which are against the rules.

I am not in my 20's anymore. My question is: What are your thoughts on adult women having a nose ring? Is it attractive or looked down upon (especially for someone who is wanting to continue with their education and become a nurse practitioner)? I hate for my job to dictate how I can live my life, however, I do find people with a lot of tattoos to look very unprofessional. Is a nose ring in the same category?

Don't
Too old.
Just NO.

Really? Even though I look like I'm in my 30's? I feel like I'm in my 20's. Am I really going to let my age hinder me?

Question: why can men go through a midlife crisis, but women can't? I can't afford a red corvette, but I can afford a nose ring.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

qaz123
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jan 2017, 11:33 pm

I work in a hospital (clinical pharmacist) and got my nose pierced 6 yrs ago. MANY of the RNs have nose studs. When I got mine done we had to cover them. You can't take them out for work or they close up. The patients hated them being covered as it looks strange, much worse than a little stud. Because of the patient push back we don't cover them anymore. I do think it is still in the dress code that they are to be covered.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 11:36 pm

qaz123 wrote:
I work in a hospital (clinical pharmacist) and got my nose pierced 6 yrs ago. MANY of the RNs have nose studs. When I got mine done we had to cover them. You can't take them out for work or they close up. The patients hated them being covered as it looks strange, much worse than a little stud. Because of the patient push back we don't cover them anymore. I do think it is still in the dress code that they are to be covered.

Well, I must say seeing your age and your job, I think I'm going to do it! If I may ask, what did you cover them with in case I have to do that?

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 11:38 pm

qaz123 wrote:

You just made my day! My Ma is not going to like this, but who knows? Maybe she'll love it! The nose piercing guy comes back next week they said. I must plan! :mrgreen:

Btw, are there any "rules" as to which side one should have pierced? Which side did you do?

Darn, I flunked.

qaz123
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jan 2017, 12:04 am

No rule for side that I could find. Mine is on the left. I know straits and not that have either side pierced. To cover it I cut one of the "dot" band-aids in 1/4 so the little corner of pad was over the stud. Oh and I used the mostly clear ones. Some RNs just put a little piece of tape over it. Yup I'm not young but wanted to get my nose pierced since I was in high school. It did hurt quite a bit and I have a very high pain tolerance.

Make sure you get it done by someone very experienced and good. A nose is a bad place for something to go wrong and it takes a long time to heal. My only issue I should have anticipated. I have metal intolerances. My stud is platinum so now have no issues. The original was surgical steel and was red and swollen until I changed it out. Luckily I rarely scar so didn't get a keloid.

The one I have in most often:

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 12:35 am

qaz123 wrote:
No rule for side that I could find. Mine is on the left. I know straits and not that have either side pierced. To cover it I cut one of the "dot" band-aids in 1/4 so the little corner of pad was over the stud. Oh and I used the mostly clear ones. Some RNs just put a little piece of tape over it. Yup I'm not young but wanted to get my nose pierced since I was in high school. It did hurt quite a bit and I have a very high pain tolerance.

Make sure you get it done by someone very experienced and good. A nose is a bad place for something to go wrong and it takes a long time to heal. My only issue I should have anticipated. I have metal intolerances. My stud is platinum so now have no issues. The original was surgical steel and was red and swollen until I changed it out. Luckily I rarely scar so didn't get a keloid.

The one I have in most often:

Crap. Now I'm on the fence again because I have problems with metal and my ears actually never did heal - I had to just let them close up. Maybe it's not a good idea. I don't want my nose to fall off.

Darn, I flunked.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 7:14 pm

I thought about a snakebite in my lip to see if it would stop my dumb habit of biting it.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Datalis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2017, 7:17 pm

One ring to rule them all! One ring to bind them! One ring...wait, what?

Incendax
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2017, 6:20 am

It can definitely be considered unprofessional in many workplaces, but nursing is not necessarily one of those. Many hospitals have rules and regulations that prevent nose piercings from being allowed (or requiring them to be covered up), but many nurses are able to show theirs without issue. It just depends on how much of a stickler your particular hospital or clinic is.

As for being attractive? I've seen many that look good, many that look bad, and many that didn't matter in the slightest. It will attract attention to your nose, and people will stare at your nose, but if you are not self conscious about your nose then there should be no issue.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 6:26 am

Incendax wrote:
It can definitely be considered unprofessional in many workplaces, but nursing is not necessarily one of those. Many hospitals have rules and regulations that prevent nose piercings from being allowed (or requiring them to be covered up), but many nurses are able to show theirs without issue. It just depends on how much of a stickler your particular hospital or clinic is.

As for being attractive? I've seen many that look good, many that look bad, and many that didn't matter in the slightest. It will attract attention to your nose, and people will stare at your nose, but if you are not self conscious about your nose then there should be no issue.

Let's just be frank. I'm worried about snot and boogers. Will I be able to blow my nose somewhat normally? Will it be a place for boogers to congregate and party? Will someone answer that please who has one?

Darn, I flunked.

Datalis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2017, 9:51 am

nurseangela wrote:
Incendax wrote:

Let's just be frank. I'm worried about snot and boogers. Will I be able to blow my nose somewhat normally? Will it be a place for boogers to congregate and party? Will someone answer that please who has one?

You need to worry about airflow too and if it might obstruct your breathing.

milksnake
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2017, 11:02 am

Get a clip on or magnetic one and see how people react, if you like it, go for it!

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jan 2017, 11:06 am

I say go ahead and do it. If you find you don't like it, you can always remove it.

qaz123
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jan 2017, 6:58 pm

Yes it attracts boogers, mine does NOT obstruct airflow. I would not get it done if you are not pretty sure you will keep it. While the inside closes up very quickly the outside does not. Looks like a giant zit scar or blackhead. I take mine out every day to clean it. More often if I have a cold or allergies are acting up. Another pain in the beginning because you should leave it alone then. I can blow my nose just fine with the kind I have. There are other ones that didn't work for me, that was one of the reasons.

There are risks and downsides (pain among others). If you are wavering you can always just wait and talk to people in person to get first hand info. Or just wait to see if you still care in a few months.