Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

SonicMisaki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 10:57 pm

Hey, Health, Fitness, and Sports.

So I've been coming down with a cold since yesterday, and it's driving me crazy. Of course, I've been doing my absolute best to deal with it, what with blowing my nose, hot showers, Benadryl and all that, but having a virus isn't the whole story in my case. Where I live, there hasn't been a long enough cold snap since winter of 2016, and things have consequentially bloomed that shouldn't be blooming, bringing forth my seasonal allergies.

So, how can I cope with colds and their symptoms? They drive me crazy.

LjSpike
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jan 2017, 4:57 pm

SonicMisaki wrote:
Hey, Health, Fitness, and Sports.

So I've been coming down with a cold since yesterday, and it's driving me crazy. Of course, I've been doing my absolute best to deal with it, what with blowing my nose, hot showers, Benadryl and all that, but having a virus isn't the whole story in my case. Where I live, there hasn't been a long enough cold snap since winter of 2016, and things have consequentially bloomed that shouldn't be blooming, bringing forth my seasonal allergies.

So, how can I cope with colds and their symptoms? They drive me crazy.

Well if a runny nose or nasal drip or similar symptom is troubling you, I discovered a few years a truly spectacular medicine. It's called "Sudafed", it doesn't taste too bad, its nothing like that nasty thick chesty cough stuff (which I coughed up straight after having). I mean, its not tasty, but its alright, and it actually works. Thankfully most of my symptoms with a cold come from my nasal drip and from getting a real runny nose, so that's about as far as I have to go, although I do sympathise with your struggles greatly. When I get colds, its usually for over a month, normally about the entire winter, and I've had times where I've had a runny nose that won't stop, no matter what I do (genuinely, about 5 seconds after blowing my nose it'd be blocked again), and had horrible coughs which nearly knock you off your feet. Making a nice hot chocolate or cup of tea and breathing in the fumes through your nose and/or mouth can be quite nice (although don't do it with just boiling water, or you might scald yourself).

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 162 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 52 of 200
LINK: http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly10a.php?p1= ... =66&p10=74
-------------------
Score breakdown for RAADS-R
Total: 185.0 | Language: 17.0 | Social Relatedness: 90.0 | Sensory/Motor 45.0 | Circumscribed Interests: 33.0
LINK: http://www.aspietests.org/raads/questions.php

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Jan 2017, 3:47 pm

Nasel sprays like Flonase can help with the allergies you may be experiencing as well as antihistamines & both types of meds are available over the counter. Like LjSpike said, Sudafed can help with a runny nose. It's a controlled substance thou so you it's behind the pharmacy counter & you have to show ID & sign for it. Some antihistamines have versions that contain Sudafed in them & they have the letter D at the end like Allegra-D, Claritin-D & Zyrtec-D. They are controlled substances sense they contain Sudafed.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition