Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 1:24 pm

Why would a guy not have as much of an issue dating a woman taller than himself compared to a tall woman having an issue dating a shorter man?

Is it because women are judged more for there social status? Is a short man and tall woman perhaps the most frowned upon couple stereotype in society? :scratch:

I am 3 inches under average at 5ft7 for a young person in England and i wouldn't really have that much of a problem dating a taller woman I think?

Luhluhluh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 1:53 pm

I'm not sure it's "society" that looks down upon it, it's coming from the women.

Being tall is like a physical signal of masculinity and strength and health. Women (on a purely biological level) are looking for a strong man to protect her and her future offspring. It's the same reason men prefer women who are young looking and have attractive features - it shows fertility and health.

Now before you say why can't shorter men be masculine - I know that - and they are. But some people really have a difficult time thinking outside of what has been driven into their mindset all their lives and what they are attracted to. It's not right or wrong - it just is.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 2:36 pm

Luhluhluh wrote:
I'm not sure it's "society" that looks down upon it, it's coming from the women.

Being tall is like a physical signal of masculinity and strength and health. Women (on a purely biological level) are looking for a strong man to protect her and her future offspring. It's the same reason men prefer women who are young looking and have attractive features - it shows fertility and health.

Now before you say why can't shorter men be masculine - I know that - and they are. But some people really have a difficult time thinking outside of what has been driven into their mindset all their lives and what they are attracted to. It's not right or wrong - it just is.

Could you also argue as well that being a short woman is a physical signal of femininity and delicacy and health? And that men (on a biological level) are looking for a short woman to make them feel dominant and macho?

Luhluhluh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 2:43 pm

Jamesy wrote:

Could you also argue as well that being a short woman is a physical signal of femininity and delicacy and health? And that men (on a biological level) are looking for a short woman to make them feel dominant and macho?

Yep. It's the same drive.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 2:59 pm

I'm a short man (5 foot 4.75 inches; 164 cms). And I've dated taller women.

There are some women who care about height; most, however, don't.

There are a few men who care about height; most, however, don't.

When you make love with somebody lying down, you're basically the same height. The difference is only in the legs.

Luhluhluh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 3:12 pm

I agree, I'm about 5'6" and have dated taller and shorter and same height. Tall is not a requirement for me.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 3:23 pm

Luhluhluh wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Yep. It's the same drive.

So why are short men ridiculed more by the media compared to tall women? :?

Luhluhluh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 3:31 pm

Jamesy wrote:

So why are short men ridiculed more by the media compared to tall women? :?

Short men are ridiculed by the media? Could you cite an example?

Tall women aren't ridiculed as long as they are attractive.

I would imagine though that short men probably endure as much ridicule as overweight women. Neither fit the standard of what is considered conventionally attractive.

Once again, I'm not saying it's right or wrong - it just is, and individuals have their own personal preferences.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 4:38 pm

I personally see plenty of couple where they are either the same height or the woman is taller. Personally, I married one of the tallest people I dated (5'5") and what I would much rather her be slightly taller than have our height difference.

I also hated being tall growing up as I was constantly bullied for it. The two most popular kids in school were also the two shortest boys, one by a significant margin. Both have much taller wives today.