Can read, won't read, would like to read

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Thought Orbit
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Jan 2017, 7:14 pm

As a child my mother tried desperately for me to read books, and to this day I still will refuse to read books, regardless of the desperate nature of information of said book. My mother found a solution, I would let her read to me for hours, still enjoy it if anyone would dare (I never ask for the embarrassment) and in a way it is still the same, even with this forum or Internet research.

These days, I have found a modern version of my mother, where I just have my phone read it to me with an app. It works lol. For some reason when I read, I do not absorb one iota, and may as well not read at all. There is however a strange exception which also existed when I was a child. The books my mother could get me to read with things like dictionaries and encyclopaedias, but that was it! Today it's technical instructions and specifications, it seems the detail and not the story interests me. I'm just wondering if this is a relatively common thing?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 7:21 pm

If I had your ability, I would be a really good "fix-it man."

I hate reading technical specifications.

Thought Orbit
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Jan 2017, 7:32 pm

I do tend to be the MacGyver out of my friends, certainly on the More electronic and gadgety side 8)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 7:40 pm

The art of MacGyvering is a very useful art, indeed.

It is something I suck at.

I would cultivate this aspect of yourself, rather than criticizing your "weaknesses."

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 8:06 pm

I think that this characteristic of yours sounds very fascinating. 8) I did not have access to any form of this as a child, but now my favorite medium is Braille. :heart:

I too prefer the format of dictionaries, and encyclopedias, technical instructions, and specifications. :nerdy: I think it is because everything else looks like a "wall of text" (visually overwhelming). 8O

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

Thought Orbit
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Jan 2017, 8:30 pm

Possibly if I am learning something new it helps, just to know the facts about something maybe? The definitive statement with closure seems to certify for me the fact I have not wasted my time, like with "stories". I LOVE learning new things! But on the other hand, I love watching sci-fi movies so go figure *sigh*

Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jan 2017, 9:19 pm

I get to page 3 or 4 before I realize I have no idea what i'm reading...... I don't like books....

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 9:38 pm

It's the exact opposite for me. Dictionaries, encyclopedias, text books, technical instructions, and specifications are so dry and boring that I have a very hard time absorbing anything from them, and I can't if the subject is hard to understand in addition. Even at my most motivated (like when I read the rules of a game I really want to play), I start yawning almost immediately and have a hard time focusing on it.

I never have that problem with fiction (or I don't as long as it's my type of fiction anyway; most of the stuff they wanted us to read in school was a snooze), and I'm kind of a (selective) bookworm.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765