Puppet states why the Big Bang Theory isn't a good show.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Datalis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2017, 11:17 pm

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 8:21 pm

Well, the puppet, and the person attached to the hand inside him, is welcome to that opinion. But the fact of the matter is, I resemble, or at least at one time, had resembled, the nerd check list he ranted about. Also, I don't recall the matter of Asperger's being mentioned, which would explain not only Sheldon, but all the characters save Penny.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 6:07 am

Actually, the writers have confirmed that they did not mean to portray aspergers (or any ASD for that matter) in that show.

Indeed, the puppet is welcome to his opinion, and i agree with it (him) on some points.
However, i find the earlier seasons of the show to be entertaining, so it isn't too bad, in my own opinion

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 6:21 am

izzeme wrote:
Actually, the writers have confirmed that they did not mean to portray aspergers (or any ASD for that matter) in that show.

Indeed, the puppet is welcome to his opinion, and i agree with it (him) on some points.
However, i find the earlier seasons of the show to be entertaining, so it isn't too bad, in my own opinion

I think the writers are just saying that to avoid the charge that they are making fun of Aspies.

FragMichNichtWiesMirGeht
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jan 2017, 9:37 am

It's one of those shows that I enjoy, but it's nothing worthwhile. A bit like Friends. It's funny, but I wouldn't watch it all at once.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 9:48 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
izzeme wrote:

I think the writers are just saying that to avoid the charge that they are making fun of Aspies.

That, and the idea that, by not "pathologizing" the characters, the series' writers are able to "go off the plantation" occasionally when, say, Sheldon is expected to say or do something profound, not nerdy. The producers want their cake and eat it, too.

My biggest gripe about the series is that it has been turned into a nerdy, gay, version of The Love Boat with its cast of thousands.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 1:08 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
izzeme wrote:

That, and the idea that, by not "pathologizing" the characters, the series' writers are able to "go off the plantation" occasionally when, say, Sheldon is expected to say or do something profound, not nerdy. The producers want their cake and eat it, too.

My biggest gripe about the series is that it has been turned into a nerdy, gay, version of The Love Boat with its cast of thousands.

I think you're right on that last point - - they were too eager to normalize the characters and give them the regular lives of NTs.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 1:16 pm

^ I hate that too. They were a lot more relatable at the beginning.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 1:33 pm

smudge wrote:

While I can understand Aspies eventually achieving a happy, normal life - I did in fact, get married and have a child, myself - these are after all fictional characters who have lost something by becoming too NT.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 2:37 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
smudge wrote:

While I can understand Aspies eventually achieving a happy, normal life - I did in fact, get married and have a child, myself - these are after all fictional characters who have lost something by becoming too NT.

That's what I mean. They were awkward and I preferred them that way.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 11:45 pm

Big Bang Theory isn't all bad. It's fun to watch when you're high on Valium.

They got boring when they all got girlfriends, though. Howard being in space was mildly amusing but that was about it.

I disagree with the puppet on one thing: how is devoting your life to fandom not having a life? Not having a life would be not doing anything worthwhile. Most people who are that devoted to fandoms are not merely consumers; they're content creators who make careers out of fanart, reviews, etc.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 11:53 pm

rats_and_cats wrote:
Big Bang Theory isn't all bad. It's fun to watch when you're high on Valium.

They got boring when they all got girlfriends, though. Howard being in space was mildly amusing but that was about it.

Maybe I am going to watch the video later. But I have to so that Howard in space was funny when they played up the fact that he is obviously not qualified to be up there. However the episode where they made other astronauts bullies just made my eyes roll. And when he was back on earth with the writers attempt to make fun of the lack of public interest in the American space program. I stopped watching it a few episodes after that one

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

03 Feb 2017, 1:31 am

I'm not a fan of TBBT for the simple fact that it's not my type of humor. However, I think this is a dumb video. It basically comes up with a bunch of irrelevant criticisms of the show, without ever actually addressing any real weaknesses in its humor, structure, or anything else actually relevant to quality.

First it claims that the show stereotypes geeks, and even compares it to "geek blackface." This is an absurd comparison. Yes, the characters exaggerate geeky qualities, but as a geeky person on the spectrum, it's actually nice to see behaviors like social awkwardness and fringe interests get some representation. Blackface is bad because it perpetuates negative stereotypes of an entire ethnicity - the characters act stupid and clownish. The geeks in TBBT do have exaggerated geeky behavior, but the negative connotations are minimal, and the characters are consistently shown as intelligent and successful. The video also harps on "wish fulfillment," which makes me think the video maker is really confused because first he's saying the show portrays the characters negatively, and now he's complaining when something good happens to them. And for the record, I have known geeky people who've wound up married to stunning people, because even though they may be geeky, they're successful and reasonably attractive.
Another big problem with all of this is that the video creator seems to believe that we should be offended by this show for the above reasons, and I find that dishonest, but also ridiculous. I don't believe the person who made the video has bothered to address the real reason he doesn't like the show, and with good reason: it comes down to taste.

I don't like TBBT because the jokes leave me flat. It's the humor of absurd statements. The most effective YouTube videos that highlight this are the ones that simply show TBBT without the laugh track. But I can't claim that I don't like the show because it's dumb, because I do like How I Met Your Mother, which certainly isn't any smarter. I also can't claim I'm bothered by the portrayal of the geeks as this video does, because I love the exaggerated geeks in Freaks and Geeks. The fact is, it just comes down to taste. This isn't my taste.

I think the reason critical videos never accept differences in taste, and so often come up with absurd criticisms like this video does, is that when people don't like something they feel the need to be confrontational with anyone who disagrees with them. As if people with other tastes are WRONG. I think this urge to pit yourself against anyone who likes something you don't is really unhealthy.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 2:43 pm

I haven't watched big bang theory in a while. I did see a few episodes and it was entertaining as a pastime but I do see some of the points the video makes. I guess that's probably why I never stuck with it. Though instead I used to watch another show that eventually went on to actually get canceled, King of the Nerds. Who remembers that one???

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 9:09 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
izzeme wrote:

I know I've seen claims on here before that they originally said that Sheldon was based on someone with Asperger's, but that they later denied this. I find it hard to believe he's not, as I relate to him so much despite all the differences between me and the fictional character. He's the one there I can relate to.

I actually strangely haven't minded that they all started seeing people. I say strangely because I usually hate it in fiction as it changes them from the characters I like to something I like less. I have always hated the Penny character and have always been disgusted by how the guys minus Sheldon apparently would have sold their family to get with a female I find utterly despicable.
Yet somehow I thought the romance worked in BBT, and strangely particularly between Sheldon and Amy (even though it also reminds me of all the reasons I'm not into romance :lol: ).

What I personally dislike about the show:
-Penny (everything I dislike about regular people in general)
-how despite everyone being made fun of at times, they are all 'against' Sheldon; I like a show where it's everybody against everybody and not one comic relief figure no ones is supposed to like
-Sheldon is only there to look the other nerds look good to the NT public
-anyone who pays attention, know the laughter is aimed to laugh at the characters and not with them or at things they say.

That said, I still think it's a very funny show, so the things I dislike about it doesn't keep me from watching it, and I also think they've been doing the Sheldon character with a bit more sensitivity lately. All in all I think it's a very good show.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 9:16 am

I don't like Big Bang Theory either. It's got nothing to do with Sheldon having-not-having Asperger's, I just don't like the show.