Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Pizzapastacoke
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jan 2017, 1:20 am

My dear partner is an aspie while I'm an NT. I'm wondering if these are Aspie Behaviors:

1. He would repeatedly tell me the same stories or excerpts from his life over and over. We've been dating for less than a year and I've heard certain stories for probably more than ten times now. It doesn't bother me, in fact I find it cute.

2. He would state an opinion about me or about us then would completely forget about this certain opinion a few weeks after. I haven't asked sooner so I'm not sure how long it lasts.

e.g.

Partner: We should improve our communication

Me: Okay

--A month after---

Me: What do you think about our communication now?

Partner: ?

Me: You said that we should work on our communication

Partner: I did? ---- ???

Last edited by Pizzapastacoke on 20 Jan 2017, 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 2:07 am

Pizzapastacoke wrote:
My dear partner is an aspie while I'm an NT. I'm wondering if these are Aspie Behaviors:

1. He would repeatedly tell me the same stories or excerpts from his life over and over. We've been dating for less than a year and I've heard certain stories for probably ten times now. It doesn't bother me, in fact I find it cute.

2. He would state an opinion about me or about us then would completely forget about this certain opinion a few weeks after. I haven't asked sooner so I'm not sure how long it lasts.

e.g.

Partner: We should improve our communication

Me: Okay

--A month after---

Me: What do you think about our communication now?

Partner: ?

Me: You said that we should work on our communication

Partner: I did? ---- ???

For number 1 the answer is repetitive behavoirs is a core autistic trait.

For number 2 I can not really answer because 2 weeks is a pretty long time IMHO

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 2:33 am

Yes

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 4:09 am

Biased of my three year correspondence with an internet friend, both of those sound just like what I do.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 5:10 am

1 comes off as aspielike behavior to me, a layman.

2, not as much. it could simply be that he is forgetful...or scatterbrained (in the kindest way possible).

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 3:11 pm

The first thing: maybe.

The second thing: almost makes me think that you're a bit autistic. Expecting other people to restart conversations that you had with them weeks before and to pick up the same thread is a very aspergian trait (I make that mistake sometimes).

There is a way to do it. You might say "several weeks before you suggested that we should learn to communicate better, well...what do think about that now?" so the person is given the context so they then have a fighting chance of remembering it.

But you kinda blindsided him, and put him on the spot. So its not surprising that his mind went blank on the subject. NTs, and anyone, might react that way.