Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Ffffuuuu
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jan 2017, 5:24 am

I've been prescribed fluoxetine (Prozac) for my "weird thoughts". My doctor seems to think it's OCD. My question is, what if it's something more (ie delusions)? Could fluoxetine actually make it worse? Since SSRIs mess with neuronal plasticity, could they actually make you believe some things more?

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 10:18 am

Usually the only way an antidepressant is going to cause any psychosis is if the patient is bipolar and the antidepressant triggers mania which can include psychotic symptoms. Otherwise the two have nothing to do with one another. As long as you keep your doctor up to date with whatever is bothering you, you can let them determine what is OCD and what is not.

Fluoxetine is one of the few antidepressants with no withdrawal syndrome so give it a try for a couple months and if it doesn't work out, no harm done, and it is easy to stop.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 4:51 pm

Fluoxetine was the first antidepressant I was ever prescribed, never did anything except generate consistent, low-grade headaches, though. :/ There seems to be a great deal of bad press regarding this particular drug, though there must be some success stories out there.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Jan 2017, 2:23 am

An antipsychotic would be better if it really is delusions & might help with OCD too. However It may not be possible to know if it's delusions or not until your OCD is helped. Prozac is safer than trying antipsychotics & antidepressants in general likely won't make delusions worse unless your bipolar or suffering from something like a psychotic depression; I went through a psychotic depression & it got worse when I started Lexapro by itself. You would have other symptoms besides delusions if you were bipolar or having a psychotic depression.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition