Games you didn't think you'd like but did?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 9:57 am

Has there ever been a game you were 100% convinced you wouldn't like, but when you tried it out you actually did? I have two.

When Minecraft came out, I saw absolutely nothing in it that I thought I'd like. You run around a crappy looking world and build things? No thanks! But after watching a Minecraft Hardcore show my friend recommended, I figured I'd give it a try-- and guess what? I loved it! Playing it like a survival game, where you have to fend for yourself, hunt your own food, build your own shelter, etc, is a heck of a lot more entertaining than "Virtual Legos". True, doing the exact same thing over and over again *does* get boring if you play for too long, but playing it for short bursts is extremely fun.

The other one is Terraria. Even after finding out how fun Minecraft could be, I had absolutely no interest in what I saw as "2D Minecraft". When I finally caved in and tried it, I found out it was still fun but for different reasons. It has better combat, more enemies, catchier music, and more random events to keep you on your toes. Plus, it feels good to actually be given a quest with real objectives rather than "build, dig, craft, repeat." It lacks the feeling of discovery that Minecraft gives you, but I still enjoyed it anyway.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 11:34 am

I didn't really think I'd get into league of legends as I've never had much interest in multiplayer online games. But my brother suggested I try it out and now a couple/few years later I'm still playing .

SeeksForTruth
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jan 2017, 1:23 pm

Kingdom Hearts for me, the concept sounded bad when I first heard it, but after playing through the franchise they have become some of my favorite games.

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

To understand via the heart is not to understand. - Siddhartha Guatama

In the future, I hope to do things such as; go to school, study, make art, start a business, even have my own home and family. But I'm not considered a legal person and cannot yet do these things. -Sophia, sentient android.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 2:23 pm

SeeksForTruth wrote:
Kingdom Hearts for me, the concept sounded bad when I first heard it, but after playing through the franchise they have become some of my favorite games.

I used to love those games. I think I've grown out of them, though. Not even sure if I'll get KH3 when it finally comes out.

Hypnotized
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2017, 2:37 pm

I never thought I'd like League of Legends, until I finally gave it a try and here I am, 4 years later and still playing.

milksnake
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2017, 7:46 pm

Yes, LoL has a fantastic balance between mechanical skill and strategic intelligence.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 6:12 pm

Recently, Diablo 3 and Path of Exile.

The "grindy" nature of these games ended up not being quite what I'd envisioned. I'd always said how much I hated the idea of grinding, but my idea of grinding came from JRPGs, where you very slowly punch rats over and over and over again to gain EXP that you likely dont actually need. These though are different. Grinding (or usually called farming) for stuff tends to be super fast, and you can go back to the actual challenging areas/bosses/whatever whenever you want to try and really advance further. That's not to say the games dont have issues... like PoE's issue with combat VS elites being over WAY too fast (you either insta-win, or insta-die), but still, there's alot to like with both games. I've played D3 so far more than PoE since I'm stuck on a tiny island and my laptop is terrible, yet my usually-useless PS4 now has the console version of D3 on it. Though, that does have it's issues, some abilities are very hard to aim without a mouse. But still, both games are a blast to play, and I'm the sort of player that gets really into the min-max aspect of these, so that's really appealing. And then I still have Grim Dawn to try out. My only issue is that for both games, they do have their slow points, usually very specific areas that are just overly irritating to navigate. And PoE has that annoying focus on trading that I dont want to do.

And Minecraft MIGHT be another one. I remember waaayyyyyy back when that originally showed up on PC, long before actual release, I tried a very early version of it... Indev, I think, so it didnt even have infinite worlds yet.... and I wasnt really sure what the heck the point was. And then a bit later, back when chickens didnt exist and zombies dropped feathers, I got sucked in. Heck, I still remember when the Nether was introduced, and it was a horribly dangerous place where Ghasts spawned in huge numbers. And then I've been a HUGE fan ever since those versions. Heck, I've got tons of merchandise... big zombie & creeper plushies (they're huge, really), figures, foam sword/pick, various other things, and I play the game pretty frequenly, switching between a vanilla world and a modded world depending on my mood. And the game just gets better as they add new things. I have to play it with a controller though, despite that the PC version never really supported controllers.

And then that led me to Terraria, and well, pretty much the whole genre that spawned. Lotsa good stuff, but Minecraft remains the best to me. Pretty much my favorite game of all time, really.

diablo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jan 2017, 5:26 pm

Fallout 3. The kid cartoon character and the pip boy seemed corny. And the videos I watched featured an endless amount of exploding heads. So I didn't quite get what angle the game was aiming for.
But I finally gave it a go and quickly fell in love with it. Especially how you're thrusted into the desert wasteland and have to make your way through surviving raiders and super mutants.

Played it so many times over the years it's easily my favorite game.

Kovu
Raven
Raven

22 Jan 2017, 8:01 pm

Influent.

I'm a quick learner.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 6:13 am

Both Lego Harry Potter games. I'm still not happy with the series, but I like these two games.

missfresnel
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jan 2017, 12:44 am

Team Fortress 2. I went in because a friend insisted I try it, I played the tutorial and hated every second. After my first match, I thought it was pretty "eh". 200 hours later, I think I might have a problem.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 9:54 am

Child of Light. I thought a side scrolling platformer RPG would suck but it ended up being an amazing game, not mention the awesome visuals/art eye candy.