Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

LinuxWizzerd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jan 2017, 4:49 am

I am 21 years old, and is a college dropout. I've tried searching for jobs online constantly so I can pay off my college debt, but on the rare occasion I do get an interview, I seem to absolutely suck at it, and don't get the job. Despite these efforts, my father consistently screams at me for not being able to get a job, and dislikes me searching for jobs on my computer "because you'll play video games on it anyway" even though the only way to get a job in my area is to apply online. Because of this "unwillingness" to get a job, he's planning on trying to get me into a community college here, even though I have college debt and have said to him before the main reason for dropping out in the first place was due to lack of motivation and poor grades.

He also loses his mind over the stupidest of things. One time, I forgot about some rotten bananas on the counter, and without even giving me a chance to say anything in my defense, he kept going on about how big of an idiot I was, and when I finally got the chance to say that I just forgot about them, he then accused me of lying to his face about forgetting them, even though I was explaining the situation to him. He also gets mad whenever I ask to turn down the volume on the TV when it's too loud, and I can't even watch certain episodes of shows around him that remind him of situations in my own life without him getting pissed off about it.

I've also been suspicious about whether I'm on the autism spectrum since I was 14, but up until a month ago, they've refused to take me to a person to take a look at me, and that was only due to my mom watching a documentary about autistic kids (I can't remember the name of it), and they still refuse to take me, even though I've talked to them about it.

What should I do? I'm not entirely sure how loans work when paying them off, and I very much doubt my parents will continue to pay them if I do leave. I also have very little money to pay off these debts.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 6:22 am

College is far more over-rated than people realise. You still have plenty of other options.
You can learn a lot from You-Tube (probably more than you will ever learn in college).
For example, you have issues with being able to handle interviews, why not learn how to overcome the deficit?

Before the advent of You-Tube, I would have just gone to the public-libraries (and I did), borrowing the books about finance, entrepreneurship, increasing your productivity, financial-discipline, etc. I used to fail a lot of interviews myself but, once I had enough experience going through a couple dozen or so interviews, I noticed that interview-questions tended to have a pattern, and most employers always tend to ask the same questions.

Once you recognise the pattern, and you keep records of your experiences to review your experiences/activities, then you can take that knowledge/experience, and use your notes to prepare even better for the next interview. That is what I did. Organised record-keeping is extremely important for you young adults if you want to out-perform your competition.

LinuxWizzerd wrote:
I am 21 years old, and is a college dropout. I've tried searching for jobs online constantly so I can pay off my college debt, but on the rare occasion I do get an interview, I seem to absolutely suck at it, and don't get the job. Despite these efforts, my father consistently screams at me for not being able to get a job, and dislikes me searching for jobs on my computer "because you'll play video games on it anyway" even though the only way to get a job in my area is to apply online. Because of this "unwillingness" to get a job, he's planning on trying to get me into a community college here, even though I have college debt and have said to him before the main reason for dropping out in the first place was due to lack of motivation and poor grades.

He also loses his mind over the stupidest of things. One time, I forgot about some rotten bananas on the counter, and without even giving me a chance to say anything in my defense, he kept going on about how big of an idiot I was, and when I finally got the chance to say that I just forgot about them, he then accused me of lying to his face about forgetting them, even though I was explaining the situation to him. He also gets mad whenever I ask to turn down the volume on the TV when it's too loud, and I can't even watch certain episodes of shows around him that remind him of situations in my own life without him getting pissed off about it.

I've also been suspicious about whether I'm on the autism spectrum since I was 14, but up until a month ago, they've refused to take me to a person to take a look at me, and that was only due to my mom watching a documentary about autistic kids (I can't remember the name of it), and they still refuse to take me, even though I've talked to them about it.

What should I do? I'm not entirely sure how loans work when paying them off, and I very much doubt my parents will continue to pay them if I do leave. I also have very little money to pay off these debts.