Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 8:43 am

Here is an actual clip from a newsreel filmed in an actual courtroom in the year 1936.

Explain to me how these ladies could have known about the technology to "pixelize" images several decades before that technology was invented .....with out...time travel!

https://youtu.be/1T3_4zWMspo

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2017, 12:55 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Here is an actual clip from a newsreel filmed in an actual courtroom in the year 1936.

Explain to me how these ladies could have known about the technology to "pixelize" images several decades before that technology was invented .....with out...time travel!

https://youtu.be/1T3_4zWMspo

Not sure if you are being serious but I will reply anyway.

The women are saying pixilated not pixelated.

If you go to 1:18 in the unedited version of the film you will see that it is explained to the court what pixilated means.

Quote:
Pixelated vs. pixilated
Though pixelated is the standard spelling of the word meaning rendered with visible pixels, there’s a good reason that spell check does not catch pixilated. Pixilated is an old, seldom-used Americanism dating from the middle of the 19th century and peaking (in this use) in the middle 20th century. It meant (1) crazed, bewildered, or whimsical, or (2) intoxicated.1

Pixilated derives from the noun pixie, denoting the mythical, mischievous creature.2 One who is pixilated is under the sway of a figurative pixie or behaving in a pixielike manner. The word’s exact origins are not known, but it might have been a fanciful coinage influenced by other -ated words such as elated and titillated. The phrasal adjective pixie-led (which is listed in the OED, with the earliest example being from 1659) might also be a source.3

Whether anyone still uses pixilated this way is difficult to say. In historical Google News searches, most of the instances of pixilated used this way are from the 1930s and ’40s, with only a few scattered examples from after 1950. There are no easily found examples in recent sources, though there could be a few buried among the thousands of instances of pixilated used in place of pixelated.

In any case, pixilated very often appears in place of pixelated in writing from the last couple of decades, and many dictionaries list it as a variant. So to call pixilated a misspelling of pixelated would be unfair, even if the spelling is not exactly logical (pixel having an e in the second syllable).

Examples

There will be gadgets calculated to shame even the pixilated genius of Rube Goldberg. [Spokane Daily Chronicle (1937)]

The boys could catch up on chemistry and Sallust while a staff of pixilated publicity men made the welkin ring with news of their triumphs. [Youngstown Vindicator (1941)]

And I suggest that your dad have a talk with his pixilated sister and urge her to enlist the services of an accountant or an attorney. [Calgary Herald (1961)]

This small, pixilated cat was believed to ward off gremlins and goblins and even avert shipwrecks. [Milwaukee Journal (1967)]

Time was when anyone we thought was pixilated was merely called nuts, screwy, or wacky. [Kentucky New Era (1980)]

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 2:00 pm

Sorry to put you through all of that work.

It was just a joke.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 1:52 am

i'm just left wondering why a time traveler would go to 1936, of all years.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 10:26 pm

To get Cuban cigars.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 10:38 pm

i'd go back there If I was armed with knowledge of what defense companies were up and coming and would score big in ww2 and beyond, and buy some stock in those companies. i'd also take in a movie to see and hear what the A/V tech of the day looked and sounded like. also take a walk and smell the air and hear the winds and feel the sun on my skin and see what things looked like back then. 1936 is as good a year as any, better than some others, in fact.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 10:10 pm

Backward time travel would lead to a violation of the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Time goes one way. in the same direction as increasing entropy.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 10:14 pm

BaalChatzaf wrote:
Backward time travel would lead to a violation of the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Time goes one way. in the same direction as increasing entropy.

does that also preclude accelerated forward time travel? or does that violate some other law?

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 10:17 pm

auntblabby wrote:
BaalChatzaf wrote:

does that also preclude accelerated forward time travel? or does that violate some other law?

Just sitting still in one place you are traveling forward in time at the speed of light. You cannot go any faster.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 10:22 pm

BaalChatzaf wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
BaalChatzaf wrote:

Just sitting still in one place you are traveling forward in time at the speed of light. You cannot go any faster.

what a disappointment. out of curiosity, what law does forward accelerated [faster than real time] time travel violate?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 8:02 am

That's the theory. That entropy provides the "arrow of time". But thats just a theory. No one has really figured out what determines the arrow of time.

Einstein conjectured that future time travel was possible, but not backward time travel.

A commonly recognized problem with backward time travel is "the grandfather paradox". If you could go back in time you could shoot your granddad, thereby prevent your parent from being born, which would prevent you from being born, which would cause you to just vanish, which would prevent you making the trip back in time, which would prevent you from plugging your grandad, which would insure that you WOULD be born after all, which would mean you wouldnt vanish, and therefore would make the trip back in time....

But some say that if you shot your granddad it would just create a new timeline of events in the already infinite number of parallel universes. So no problema.

And that brings us to the subject of parallel universes.

Maybe time travel is possible not only forward and backward, but sideways as well!

Out there there is a parallel universe in which Hillary is president of the USA. And your time machine would only haft to go a short distance "sideways" to visit that universe (where events or only slightly different due to a recent event-the recent close election-going just slightly differently).

Go farther sideways and things get even more different.

Go farther out than that Hillary America and you arrive at the USA as it would be if France had won the Seven Years of the 18th Centurey (known in North America as the "French and Indian Wars") kicked England's ass and seized North America. This USA is French speaking, and mostly Roman Catholic instead of Protestant. A whole different culture.

Go still farther sideways and you arrive at the America in which that meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs in 65 million BC never hit the earth. The planet is dominated by intelligent six foot tall bipedal feathered dinosaurs who at this moment are spending time typing posts on a keyboard device hooked up to something like the Internet, and are yakking about subjects like time travel.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 4:07 am

^^^this is fun :mrgreen: :alien:

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 4:15 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
i'm just left wondering why a time traveler would go to 1936, of all years.

Come on just before WW2?

That is like the ideal place to time travel.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 3:25 am

^well, yeah, i guess there is that which i overlooked.

1936 is also the year the thylacine, or tasmanian tiger, went extinct in the hobart zoo. "benjamin" was the last specimen when he died on september 7, and there's a possibility that neglect was a factor in his early death. while 1936 may have already been too late to save the species, there's at least the opportunity to make sure ben's life was as comfortable as possible, and more effort/funding was put into research to make sure this didn't happen again.

i think helping prevent extinctions is among the more important things that backwards time travel can accomplish.

1936 was also the year stalin's great purge started, so...there's that.

naturalplastic wrote:
Go still farther sideways and you arrive at the America in which that meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs in 65 million BC never hit the earth. The planet is dominated by intelligent six foot tall bipedal feathered dinosaurs who at this moment are spending time typing posts on a keyboard device hooked up to something like the Internet, and are yakking about subjects like time travel.

go even farther sideways, and you may end up with organisms whose last universal common ancestor never made the switch from RNA to DNA, or evolved into a different nucleic acid entirely...oh, the implications. :skull:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 3:38 am

i'd bring history books and a brain doc and x-ray machine and full medical equipment/technology with me, and make a beeline to George Gershwin's place and tell him the straight dope and give him the therapy he needs to avoid that brain tumor that cause his cerebral hemorrhage the next year. then fix other people given enough time.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 3:52 am

watching the political fallout in britain leading to edward VIII's abdication in december might have been interesting.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.