Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Secretalien
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jan 2017, 10:15 pm

Feminism just means you believe that women are equal to men and deserve the same rights, opportunities, respect, safety, etc as men.

If you believe those things, you are a feminist. If you don't, you're not.

There are different schools of thought of feminism, just like most every other movement. You don't have to agree with every school of feminist thought - and in fact probably *can't*, because they don't all agree with each other.

But if you seriously really believe in gender equality, then yes, you're a feminist.

Secretalien

23 Jan 2017, 10:51 pm

Oh, and since fascism was brought up, let's have a little chat about what fascism is, since it's often used a synonym for "politics I don't like".

Fascism is a form of oppressive authoritarian government that was quite popular in the first half of the 20th century, when many people in Europe felt that democracy was a failure.

One of the most prominent features of a fascist regime is that it promotes a very strong degree of nationalism and populism.

Fascist leaders always run on a campaign of "[our country] first" and "return our country to its past greatness". They also will always call for protectionist economic policies in order (they say) to bring back jobs from the last generation's economy; these policies will feature things like canceling international trade agreements and enacting high tariffs. They'll also generally call for cracking down on critical media outlets and for arresting their opponents.

Once elected or otherwise put into power, the fascist leader will usually appoint a lot of generals and business leaders to high government positions. They'll continue to antagonize the free press, until they can eventually get rid of it. They also, usually, will have originally allied themselves with the country's main conservative party, but after getting into power, they'll start to split with them. And of course, they'll lie and lie and lie and change policies all the time, until the population no longer knows who or what to believe and is throughly gaslighted.

Eventually the free press is shut down, the right to protest is shut down, and free elections are shut down.

(Most of the "usually", "generally", etc in my comments are because the Khmer Rouge, being communist revolutionaries, didn't appoint business leaders or ally themselves with a conservative party. But otherwise they're pretty classic fascists.)

Just a little information that might explain the concerns that many people, even on the right, have at the moment.

tick

25 Jan 2017, 1:55 pm

nurseangela wrote:
I just saw a sign calling the new President a p****. Sounds really productive. So far, they wouldn't win me to their side. If they want their message to get across, then cut the crap and get serious. There were even signs and chants with the "F" word and children around! Wth?!

Have you never seen or heard what Trump says and tweets? If the signs and chants at the march bothered you than I would hope Trump would bother you more. As for men at the march, I marched in the city I live in with my boyfriend and a lot of other men who respect women. That's why the men show up, out of respect and to offer support. They also realize no matter how they might feel about abortion a uterus is a personal thing and only the owner has jurisdiction. Lots of feminist don't like abortions, they just don't want to make that decision for others. It's just way too personal.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 7:00 pm

There Are Four Lights!

tick

25 Jan 2017, 7:56 pm

Darmok wrote:

So it's ok for Trump to demean women and everyone else but not ok for women to use strong, frank language to fight back? Guess us women should know our place and remember strong language is only for men to use. We need to learn to be polite and lady like and submissive and let the men in DC tell us what is good for us. :x

Women have the right to tell the men who are disrespectful towards them and want to control their bodies exactly how they feel with any language they choose. The little girls out there don't need to be protected from the language of the women's march, they need protected from Trump and the GOP.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 5:31 pm

Women’s March Featured Speaker Who Kidnapped And Tortured A Man

The Women’s March on Washington last week featured as a speaker convicted felon Donna Hylton who, along with several others, kidnapped a man and then tortured him to death.

Hylton’s name is listed on the Women’s March website alongside prominent liberals like Planned Parenthood president Cecile Richards, actress Gloria Steinem, filmmaker Michael Moore and CNN commentator Van Jones.

Hylton, along with three men and three other women, kidnapped 62-year-old real-estate broker Thomas Vigliarolo and held him for ransom, before eventually killing him. As noted in a 1995 Psychology Today article, when asked about forcibly sodomizing the victim with a three foot steel pole, one of Hylton’s accomplices replied: “He was a homo anyway.”

Speaking about Hylton, New York City Detective William Spurling told Psychology Today: “I couldn’t believe this girl who was so intelligent and nice-looking could be so unemotional about what she was telling me she and her friends had done. They’d squeezed the victim’s testicles with a pair of pliers, beat him, burned him.”

According to that same article, Hylton delivered a ransom note to a friend of Vigliarolo’s asking for more than $400,000, even though the victim was already dead by that point. A 1985 article in The New York Times, which misspelled Donna’s last name as “Hilton,” put the ransom demand at $435,000. For her participation in the murder, according to Psychology Today, Hylton was sentenced to 25 years in prison.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/26/women ... red-a-man/

There Are Four Lights!

tick

27 Jan 2017, 6:17 pm

Darmok wrote:

The Women’s March on Washington last week featured as a speaker convicted felon Donna Hylton who, along with several others, kidnapped a man and then tortured him to death.

Hylton’s name is listed on the Women’s March website alongside prominent liberals like Planned Parenthood president Cecile Richards, actress Gloria Steinem, filmmaker Michael Moore and CNN commentator Van Jones.

Hylton, along with three men and three other women, kidnapped 62-year-old real-estate broker Thomas Vigliarolo and held him for ransom, before eventually killing him. As noted in a 1995 Psychology Today article, when asked about forcibly sodomizing the victim with a three foot steel pole, one of Hylton’s accomplices replied: “He was a homo anyway.”

Speaking about Hylton, New York City Detective William Spurling told Psychology Today: “I couldn’t believe this girl who was so intelligent and nice-looking could be so unemotional about what she was telling me she and her friends had done. They’d squeezed the victim’s testicles with a pair of pliers, beat him, burned him.”

According to that same article, Hylton delivered a ransom note to a friend of Vigliarolo’s asking for more than $400,000, even though the victim was already dead by that point. A 1985 article in The New York Times, which misspelled Donna’s last name as “Hilton,” put the ransom demand at $435,000. For her participation in the murder, according to Psychology Today, Hylton was sentenced to 25 years in prison.

I can't find a legitimate news source to confirm this. Oddly only alt-right leaning internet sites are saying this. That and a place that tracks conspiracy theory trends. The Daily Caller is an extremely questionable place to get news. It has Ann Coulter writing for them. No reason to trust to the Daily Caller about anything.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 6:27 pm

tick wrote:
Darmok wrote:

I can't find a legitimate news source to confirm this. Oddly only alt-right leaning internet sites are saying this. That and a place that tracks conspiracy theory trends. The Daily Caller is an extremely questionable place to get news. It has Ann Coulter writing for them. No reason to trust to the Daily Caller about anything.

Um, the Daily Caller's report, as it says right above you, links to the website of the Women's March itself, which lists this torturer-murderer right there on the featured speakers list, five names below Ashley Judd:
https://www.womensmarch.com/speakers/

(Arguing the source rather than the substance is a familiar fallacy.)

There Are Four Lights!

tick

27 Jan 2017, 6:40 pm

Darmok wrote:
tick wrote:
Darmok wrote:

Um, the Daily Caller's report, as it says right above you, links to the website of the Women's March itself, which lists this torturer-murderer right there on the featured speakers list, five names below Ashley Judd:

Ok, let's say this is true. Does it make the need for women to march any less? Does it have anything to do with why women like myself marched? I marched where I live because I don't believe Trump, the GOP, or anyone else has a right to tell me what to do with my body. I marched against Trump and the GOP because of all the people in this country that still are not treated right. I marched for women, POC, people with disabilities, and refugees.

I had to march because my uterus is my business and mine alone. I marched because people with disabilities deserve to be treated as full humans with exactly the same rights as everyone else. I marched because cops shoot innocent African American children and get by with it. I marched because some conservatives want to split up families who came to this country out of desperation. I marched to honor all the hard work of all the women who fought for equal rights long before I was born.

tick

27 Jan 2017, 7:05 pm

Donna Hylton
Formally Incarcerated, Criminal Justice Reform Activist

Yes, she did speak but her incarceration was mentioned in the listing just like what I pasted above from the list. Apparently there is no reason to treat the information as a shocking revelation because it wasn't being hid. Her past is unsettling, though I noticed most sites didn't give a very accurate account. But it's still disturbing. I don't know why they chose her to speak but it doesn't really matter. As I said before, the mistakes one of the speakers has made has nothing to do with why women marched. The Right is using Hylton as a distraction from the Republican agenda. I do agree it may have been a poor selection for a speaker, but I guess who ever choose her felt this women had a perspective that was worth sharing.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 7:21 pm

tick wrote:
Darmok wrote:
tick wrote:
Darmok wrote:

Ok, let's say this is true. Does it make the need for women to march any less? Does it have anything to do with why women like myself marched? I marched where I live because I don't believe Trump, the GOP, or anyone else has a right to tell me what to do with my body. I marched against Trump and the GOP because of all the people in this country that still are not treated right. I marched for women, POC, people with disabilities, and refugees.

I had to march because my uterus is my business and mine alone. I marched because people with disabilities deserve to be treated as full humans with exactly the same rights as everyone else. I marched because cops shoot innocent African American children and get by with it. I marched because some conservatives want to split up families who came to this country out of desperation. I marched to honor all the hard work of all the women who fought for equal rights long before I was born.

You can do whatever you want to your body, as long as my hard-earned dollars do not pay for it.

That's why I do hope the States get full control over abortion. Then each person can go live in a State that supports what they believe in.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

tick

27 Jan 2017, 7:46 pm

nurseangela wrote:
tick wrote:
Darmok wrote:
tick wrote:
Darmok wrote:

You can do whatever you want to your body, as long as my hard-earned dollars do not pay for it.

That's why I do hope the States get full control over abortion. Then each person can go live in a State that supports what they believe in.

Why should anyone in the United States have to move to another state and leave their friends and family to exercise their rights? I have as much freedom of religion as anyone else where ever I live in this country and my religious believes allow for abortion. And birth control. And your tax dollars support wars and in some states the death penalty, so how is abortion an issue? And what about all the fetuses killed by pollution? And healthcare for people already born? Why is abortion such an issue? If my sister loses her medicaid who will pay for her cancer treatments? Where is all the religious outrage over unequal healthcare in this country? I am asking myself why I am arguing with you. And I think I'll just leave it at this post. I got on this site to talk to other autistics about stimming and medication and how the current political could hurt people with disabilities, not argue. And here I am, just like FB all over again. :shaking: Somebody else get in here and argue for me so I'll quit! Please. I seem to have no willpower. :pale:

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 8:28 pm

tick wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
tick wrote:
Darmok wrote:
tick wrote:
Darmok wrote:

Why should anyone in the United States have to move to another state and leave their friends and family to exercise their rights? I have as much freedom of religion as anyone else where ever I live in this country and my religious believes allow for abortion. And birth control. And your tax dollars support wars and in some states the death penalty, so how is abortion an issue? And what about all the fetuses killed by pollution? And healthcare for people already born? Why is abortion such an issue? If my sister loses her medicaid who will pay for her cancer treatments? Where is all the religious outrage over unequal healthcare in this country? I am asking myself why I am arguing with you. And I think I'll just leave it at this post. I got on this site to talk to other autistics about stimming and medication and how the current political could hurt people with disabilities, not argue. And here I am, just like FB all over again. :shaking: Somebody else get in here and argue for me so I'll quit! Please. I seem to have no willpower. :pale:

I only read half of your reply. Your "abortion rights" are trampling over my "religious rights" You want an abortion? You pay for it.

I use to work for a Catholic hospital and they refused to pay for birth control through insurance - which is their right. That right should also extend to my religious rights regarding abortions.

I just read the rest of your post. Are you serious? You actually need someone else to "fight" for you? Just forget it. If you don't want to discuss this topic with me - an NT, then don't post in this thread. Simple as that.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

tick

27 Jan 2017, 8:38 pm

nurseangela wrote:
tick wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
tick wrote:
Darmok wrote:
tick wrote:
Darmok wrote:

I only read half of your reply. Your "abortion rights" are trampling over my "religious rights" You want an abortion? You pay for it.

I use to work for a Catholic hospital and they refused to pay for birth control through insurance - which is their right. That right should also extend to my religious rights regarding abortions.

I just read the rest of your post. Are you serious? You actually need someone else to "fight" for you? Just forget it. If you don't want to discuss this topic with me - an NT, then don't post in this thread. Simple as that.

Oh, so sorry, you are an NT. What does that have to do with anything? Because I went to an autism site looking for autistics and your not? That is why a lot of us are here, we sorta need this space. And hey, my attempt at humor involving my lack of will power was a joke. But I was serious about the arguing. I do need to quit, so I'm not commenting further.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 9:26 pm

tick wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
tick wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
tick wrote:
Darmok wrote:
tick wrote:
Darmok wrote:

Oh, so sorry, you are an NT. What does that have to do with anything? Because I went to an autism site looking for autistics and your not? That is why a lot of us are here, we sorta need this space. And hey, my attempt at humor involving my lack of will power was a joke. But I was serious about the arguing. I do need to quit, so I'm not commenting further.

Well, I'm not done. Neurology came into it because you mentioned you got on this site to talk to other autistic about stimming and medication. What that had to do with the subject, I have no idea. And you really don't have to try to have any sympathy for me, I'm just peachy keen with who I am. Now I'm done.

Darn, I flunked.

Secretalien

28 Jan 2017, 7:44 pm

nurseangela wrote:

Then I'm sure you'll be happy to know that the only way to get an abortion in the US is to pay for it. In compliance with the Hyde amendment, no federal funds go towards abortion unless the mother's life is in danger.