Page 150 of 214 [ 3415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153 ... 214  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 8:33 am

sly279 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
I don't like Trump and I'm neither illogical or irrational.

Are you claiming his annex nazi working for the Russians and should be impeached as he's doomed the world to death by pulling out of the Paris accord ? If not then your not the issue. I've always see no you as reasonable but, confusing

Confusing?If he gets impeached it wouldn't bother me one iota.Yeah,it bothers me he pulled out of the Paris Accord.
We should be leading the world in clean energy,more jobs there than in coal.
I vote climate.

Everything I've seen shows were are doing better then most other nations. Why should we give money to china who plans to do nothing and who's economy will soon overtake us? We don't need a meaningless Paris accords that no one who signs has to do anything to be greener.

It's the same with the Un arms control treaty we didn't sign. We already met all the requirements and then some of tracking our exported arms. Meanwhile other signers like Iran, Russia , china provide untracked arms to anyone who asks. There's no point in treaties if the other major nations have no plans of complying with them.

Want to save the earth get India and China to majorly cut down on their polluting , it's only getting worse as their industry grows as they become world powers. But then you're have a hard time convincing them not to join the 1st world as their striving to.

I'm in favor of cutting all aid to any nations that aren't hit by some natural disaster. Our nation is going into the poops and we need to fix our self first. I'd rather that money go to getting every single American off the streets into housing and getting them food then given to North Korea, china and Iran

China and India didn't pull out of the accord,we did.So now they are doing more to combat pullution than us.China has a building that's completely solar powered,we should be leading the world in that area.When Carter put the solar panels on the whitehouse back in the day,that's when we should have started leading the world in green energy.Reagan pulled them down when he went in.Even the defense department wil agree we need to be reliant on our own energy sources than say Saudi oil.
Aid to other countries should be based on their need,like as you mentioned,natural disasters.The other wealthy countries should pull their own weight and we should not try and be the worlds police force.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 8:38 am

EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Isn't more sophisticated cleaner energy and transportation likely to occur as we progress into the 21st century anyways? The stuff people are worrying about is way old fashioned and I think old fashioned is gonna get replaced, climate change crusade or not.

Wanting clean energy isn't old fashioned,if people weren't concerned we wouldn't be seeing the advances in clean energy that are happening now.New green industries will help the planet and the beings that live on it,and provide new jobs.A win win for all.
You are blessed living where you do,one of the cleaner, more progressive areas in the world.Be thankful you don't reside in a large city in China.Air so thick you can cut it with a knife.

No I meant dirty energy is old fashioned and outdated. When I see pictures of the plants and factories etc that are a problem, they look like something built a very long time ago, very primitive. I'm figuring it's all going to be replaced by what's more sophisticated and cleaner simply as a result of industrial progress. And the same with automobiles with cars like Tesla puts out becoming more of the norm rather than unique.

Yes indeed. Some of the old coal plants are being retired,and they are really old and decrepit looking.Probably dangerous for the workers at some of those archaic structures.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 9:54 am

Misslizard wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Isn't more sophisticated cleaner energy and transportation likely to occur as we progress into the 21st century anyways? The stuff people are worrying about is way old fashioned and I think old fashioned is gonna get replaced, climate change crusade or not.

Wanting clean energy isn't old fashioned,if people weren't concerned we wouldn't be seeing the advances in clean energy that are happening now.New green industries will help the planet and the beings that live on it,and provide new jobs.A win win for all.
You are blessed living where you do,one of the cleaner, more progressive areas in the world.Be thankful you don't reside in a large city in China.Air so thick you can cut it with a knife.

No I meant dirty energy is old fashioned and outdated. When I see pictures of the plants and factories etc that are a problem, they look like something built a very long time ago, very primitive. I'm figuring it's all going to be replaced by what's more sophisticated and cleaner simply as a result of industrial progress. And the same with automobiles with cars like Tesla puts out becoming more of the norm rather than unique.

Yes indeed. Some of the old coal plants are being retired,and they are really old and decrepit looking.Probably dangerous for the workers at some of those archaic structures.

There is nothing automatic about reducing pollution in newer factories. Shareholders will want profit. Unless polluting is more expensive than not polluting, pollution will go on, just with fancier machines.

On this topic, read Ibsen: "An Enemy of the People". It was published in 1882, and not much has changed since then.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 2:29 am

underwater wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
EzraS wrote:

There is nothing automatic about reducing pollution in newer factories. Shareholders will want profit. Unless polluting is more expensive than not polluting, pollution will go on, just with fancier machines.

On this topic, read Ibsen: "An Enemy of the People". It was published in 1882, and not much has changed since then.

Polluting may be cheaper but it's not as profitable as the vast fortune that will be made by the company that creates a practical form of green power.

It's true that many companies want to keep things as they are but they must innovate or die.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 8:42 pm

The Left is in love with assassination:

Johnny Depp slams Donald Trump at Glastonbury and asks: 'When was the last time an actor assassinated a president?'

In a year that he would like to forget, which included his acrimonious divorce to Amber Heard, Johnny Depp appeared at a Q&A at the new Cinemageddon stage at Glastonbury.

Introducing his 2004 film The Libertine, about a 17th-century poet who notoriously drank himself to an early death, the 54-year-old chose to discuss American politics.

"I think [Donald] Trump needs help," he said. "There are a lot of dark places he could go."

He added: "I'm not insinuating anything - by the way this will be in the press and it will be horrible - but when was the last time an actor assassinated a president?"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-t ... ime-actor/

There Are Four Lights!

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jun 2017, 11:52 pm

This president is certainly weird.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-fumes- ... 46956.html

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 4:33 am

Darmok wrote:
The Left is in love with assassination:

Johnny Depp slams Donald Trump at Glastonbury and asks: 'When was the last time an actor assassinated a president?'

In a year that he would like to forget, which included his acrimonious divorce to Amber Heard, Johnny Depp appeared at a Q&A at the new Cinemageddon stage at Glastonbury.

Introducing his 2004 film The Libertine, about a 17th-century poet who notoriously drank himself to an early death, the 54-year-old chose to discuss American politics.

"I think [Donald] Trump needs help," he said. "There are a lot of dark places he could go."

He added: "I'm not insinuating anything - by the way this will be in the press and it will be horrible - but when was the last time an actor assassinated a president?"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-t ... ime-actor/

This Johnny Depp?

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jun 2017, 9:30 am

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jun 2017, 9:44 am

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jun 2017, 9:54 am

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 11:11 am

I grew up on welfare. In 1988 or 1989 we somehow found out what the poverty line amount was then and our cash income at that time was under half of that. I remember the amount. We lived on $4,800/year, not counting food stamps or WIC. I remember that about $50 of our actual cash money every month went to buy marijuana.

My mom is one of the smartest people I've ever met. Unpleasant, but brilliant. She has taken many college classes and could have easily gotten a degree in anything. She didn't work because it wasn't interesting to her. She is welcome to her choices, but I will not take care of a person like that. Not directly and not through my taxes. Of which I pay a LOT.

I do not feel sorry for people on drugs receiving welfare. Go buy food. If you're buying drugs you're not hungry. If you're letting your kids go hungry so you can get high, you shouldn't have your kids.

President Trump lost his brother to alcohol abuse. Like many of us, he has been a sober person watching an addicted loved one throw their life away because they could not stop a destructive habit. I'm so glad he is addressing this very serious problem, specifically how it keeps people chained to intergenerational cycles of poverty.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 11:38 am

I believe in "breaking the cycle of welfare" as well.

Like you said, the "welfare mentality" is passed from generation to generation. Yes, I've seen it with my own eyes.

Actually, over the past 10-15 years or so, there have been attempts to lower the welfare rolls--and, by and large, it succeeded.

One, I believe, should take people on public assistance on a case-by-case basis, though, rather than generalize them as a "class of people" because they are on public assistance.

I'm not saying you're doing so. Sometimes, people who are Trump advocates do make these generalizations, though.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 2:20 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
I grew up on welfare. In 1988 or 1989 we somehow found out what the poverty line amount was then and our cash income at that time was under half of that. I remember the amount. We lived on $4,800/year, not counting food stamps or WIC. I remember that about $50 of our actual cash money every month went to buy marijuana.

My mom is one of the smartest people I've ever met. Unpleasant, but brilliant. She has taken many college classes and could have easily gotten a degree in anything. She didn't work because it wasn't interesting to her. She is welcome to her choices, but I will not take care of a person like that. Not directly and not through my taxes. Of which I pay a LOT.

I do not feel sorry for people on drugs receiving welfare. Go buy food. If you're buying drugs you're not hungry. If you're letting your kids go hungry so you can get high, you shouldn't have your kids.

President Trump lost his brother to alcohol abuse. Like many of us, he has been a sober person watching an addicted loved one throw their life away because they could not stop a destructive habit. I'm so glad he is addressing this very serious problem, specifically how it keeps people chained to intergenerational cycles of poverty.

I always hate people like that. "I won't work because there is nothing around here I like." "I didn't go to college to bag groceries." "I got bored with work so I quit." "I will not work jobs that is below my intelligence." Unacceptable.

As for drugs, I can understand it's an addiction but they should be forced to get treatment for it to get off them than be enabled or else they will keep on being drug addicts. Kids are hungry anyway so it's not like denying the parents food stamps will starve them because they are being starved anyway by their parents selfishness. I think the kids should be removed from home and the only way the parents can get them back is to get rid of their addiction.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 5:59 pm

Determinism.

Trump has dominated most other threads in this section, and I've seen evidence that he's contaminated other forums.

Stugots
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN19E2A1

It's probably stupid to mess with prosecutors.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 2:03 pm

Fake news? What fake news?

A big Trump-Russia story, retracted on a Friday just before midnight.

(Oh, that fake news.)

There Are Four Lights!