Page 151 of 214 [ 3415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154 ... 214  Next

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 10:14 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Food stamps are on an EBT card now,no way for the parents to buy drugs with it.Food only.

That's not true. Anyone on FS, that needs cash, can go and get the cash, from some merchant who will illegally buy their FS. Let's say the FS recipient wants 25 dollars, the merchant runs their EBT card through the machine, and takes-off 50 dollars; then, the merchant gives them 25 dollars (thus, the FS recipient gets 50 cents, on the dollar----and they know the merchant is gonna do this----and, then they can buy ANYTHING, with it).

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 11:20 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Food stamps are on an EBT card now,no way for the parents to buy drugs with it.Food only.

That's not true. Anyone on FS, that needs cash, can go and get the cash, from some merchant who will illegally buy their FS. Let's say the FS recipient wants 25 dollars, the merchant runs their EBT card through the machine, and takes-off 50 dollars; then, the merchant gives them 25 dollars (thus, the FS recipient gets 50 cents, on the dollar----and they know the merchant is gonna do this----and, then they can buy ANYTHING, with it).

It has to scan as a food item,look at the display that shows your total.At least that's how it works in major chain stores.Possibly a small business owner could scan it as food somehow and get away with it somehow.
Looked it up.It does seem the little Ma and Pa stores are the ones most likely to cheat.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 11:53 pm

EBT fraud steals millions in taxpayer dollars.
Scheme involves food stamp money fraud.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/local/ebt- ... er-dollars

Misslizard wrote:
It has to scan as a food item,look at the display that shows your total.At least that's how it works in major chain stores.Possibly a small business owner could scan it as food somehow and get away with it somehow.
Looked it up.It does seem the little Ma and Pa stores are the ones most likely to cheat.

Where I live there's always homeless type people congregating around the many convenience stores. I have always wondered why.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 11:03 am

Fake news is only fake if it harms Trump. The same news outlets and anonymous sources are real if they help Trump.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opin ... story.html

Quote:
Was the New York Times story that broke the news that Hillary Clinton used a private email account while serving as secretary of state fake news? No.

Was any of the coverage of Clinton's email server — coverage that dominated the latter part of the presidential campaign — fake news? Nope.

Was a recent Washington Post story detailing how the Obama administration handled Russia's attempts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election fake news? Not at all. In fact, Trump crowed about that story, tweeting: "Just out: The Obama Administration knew far in advance of November 8th about election meddling by Russia. Did nothing about it. WHY?"

And what about anonymous sources? Trump claims reporters just make up stories and cite sources that don't exist. But apparently that doesn't apply to the Washington Post story on Obama and Russia, which cited "interviews with more than three dozen current and former U.S. officials in senior positions in government," most of whom "agreed to speak only on the condition of anonymity."

Were those made-up sources? Or are those solid sources because it's a story Trump can use to shape his own narrative? I guess that story from the fake-news Washington Post is real news because Trump says so.

I don't hold out much hope that DJT's utter disregard for consistency and honesty will alienate his core supporters, since they share his attitude and often laud themselves for the moral rectitude of their incredibly cruel positions.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 11:16 am

EzraS wrote:
EBT fraud steals millions in taxpayer dollars.
Scheme involves food stamp money fraud.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/local/ebt- ... er-dollars

Misslizard wrote:

Where I live there's always homeless type people congregating around the many convenience stores. I have always wondered why.

They are also after spare change and cigarettes.My daughter remarked that the South is the only place she's seen people hanging around small stores that aren't homeless.They are the gossips of the area,the stores even have benches for them to sit.They are pretty handy at yelling out stuff like " your right tire needs air" when you pump gas.lol
The large store have cameras and are audited so it's harder for anyone to scam.
The store owner that scams the government is worse than the person with the EBT card in my opnion.They are just greedy while the person with the card is most likely desperate becuse of a drug or alcohol problem.Dosent make it right,but if the store owner creates this problem by being a greedy cheater.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 12:53 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

What has to scan, as a food item? There's no products, involved----and, yes, it's Mom-and-Pops, and I don't think I've ever been to a Mom-and-Pop's, that had a scanner; they just punch whatever into the cash register.

I heard the way some of them were getting caught (in Baltimore, anyway), was, like, a tobacco store seemingly selling 50 dollars worth of cakes and candy, and so-forth, to ONE customer, raised the red flag; if a place was called "Joe's Convenience Store", they might not get caught, as easily, that way, cuz there's all kinds of food products, in there (and thus, makes it seem like a justifiable purchase).

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 1:30 pm

Misslizard wrote:
The store owner that scams the government is worse than the person with the EBT card in my opnion.They are just greedy while the person with the card is most likely desperate becuse of a drug or alcohol problem.Dosent make it right,but if the store owner creates this problem by being a greedy cheater.

I definitely understand what you're sayin'----but, those Mom-and-Pops don't make that much, I don't think; even your linked article said they have very narrow profit margins (that's why they make you pay, like, $2.39 for a small bottle of ketchup - the prices are RIDICULOUS).

The people that *I* have more of a problem with, are large chains, that gouge customers, because of the store's location----like, around here, there's a store called "Save-a-Lot" that charges nearly the same thing, for a bottle of ketchup, and it's not even, friggin' name-brand!! One sure doesn't save JACK, there (and, I LOVE their sales [sarcasm] - because they charge, so MUCH, even when it goes on sale, it STILL costs more, than "normal" stores)! It's very common, I think, in major metropolitan areas----and, the stores get away with it, cuz it's not easy to get to the places that sell their stuff, at more reasonable prices (it takes me FIVE hours, on public transportation, to go grocery shopping, if I can go to "the good store"----and, I don't even live, down-town; I'm only going, about 4 miles [3 buses]).

Also, like your article said, people need things that FS won't cover (other than drugs and alcohol)----like that man that needed diapers, for his kid----the way I found-out, years ago, about people buying FS was cuz I was somewhere whining about running-out of toilet paper, and I didn't know what I was gonna do, and someone told me (I didn't sell mine, though, cuz I was scared-to-death, of getting caught).

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 2:14 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

What has to scan, as a food item? There's no products, involved----and, yes, it's Mom-and-Pops, and I don't think I've ever been to a Mom-and-Pop's, that had a scanner; they just punch whatever into the cash register.

I heard the way some of them were getting caught (in Baltimore, anyway), was, like, a tobacco store seemingly selling 50 dollars worth of cakes and candy, and so-forth, to ONE customer, raised the red flag; if a place was called "Joe's Convenience Store", they might not get caught, as easily, that way, cuz there's all kinds of food products, in there (and thus, makes it seem like a justifiable purchase).

The food item has to scan,no bar code,no food purchase.At my store anyway.You can just run an EBT card without a food purchase.The vegetable will have a code the clerk punches in,it separates non food from food and you pay cash for the non food items.A small store could have someone scan a jug of milk several times with no food purchase but a good audit would show this.The would be a discrepancy between the cash drawer and the electronic purchases.
No convenience stores here take EBT food cards,as far as I know.It may vary from state to state.The store is required to have refrigerator units,not just snack cakes,chips,and Cokes.A few mom and pop stores in the rural towns take them,they usually have limited produce.Like just taters and onions,Bologna,eggs,coffee,milk,flour,sugar, white bread.Just the basics.I don't like getting dry goods there,usually weevils in the flour becuse it is overpriced and has set there for three years.
When a store commits EBT fraud they are now longer able to take EBT.So that totally messes it up for honest people in that neighborhood that have to walk to the store.
There is an Aldis an hour from me and it has great produce deals.There was a Sav-a-lot in that area once,I wasn't impressed with it either.The store closest to me is a thirty minute drive,a pound of carrots is almost three dollars there,at Aldis it's .99¢They over charge the locals cause it's the only grocery store in the county.
Not sure if I'm thinking of the same Sav-a-lot store,but the owner was a serial killer and all sorts of bodies buried on his estate.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 4:37 pm

In some places, you can buy prepared food like deli salads or roasted chickens with SNAP. The linked article says they took fraud down to 1%. I guess Republicans want to throw the 99% under the bus, out of revulsion over the 1%?

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 5:51 pm

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 6:22 pm

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 2:05 pm

SH90 wrote:

Oh, is he working for Breitbart now? :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 4:17 pm

Ok kids. I'm taking a break from my depression to talk about something that I find to be just a little bit important - the upcoming nuclear war. What's happening right now with North Korea should be enough to scare anyone crapless.

In corner A, we have Little Hitler shooting bigger and bigger missiles (probably to make up for his smallness in some areas :mrgreen:). Little Hitler has warned the US that he has even bigger "gift packages" for our enjoyment. :mrgreen: In corner B, we have China. Lets put China in with Little Hitler as I'm pretty sure they are in this together. In corner B then, we have Russia who is presently getting their arsenal ready for what Putin says is going to be "a planetary catastrophe". In corner C, is the US who have military already stationed in S Korea ready to go, have been in touch with Japan where both have agreed to back the other if Little Hitler strikes, where the US says they are refusing to buy anymore of China's crappy goods and in return China said "that's unacceptable" which is another way of saying "we're going to let Little Hitler blow your ass up", and who have met with the United Nations saying that they will "annihilate" North Korea if necessary. And in corner D, we have Japan, Guam and South Korea where Japan is planning for a possible mass evacuation of the nearly 60,000 Japanese citizens currently living in or visiting South Korea, where Japan has already had a missile flying over their country to get this party started! (Just think of Pink as Little Hitler - short and full of attitude) :mrgreen:

What does all of this equal? ARMAGEDDON.

Now, ARMAGEDDON out of here and heading for cover! :mrgreen:

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 6:40 pm

Just in.....

China is telling the US to get back to the table with North Korea to solve this crisis, but no one is showing up, so the next step is military action.

Meanwhile, Little Hitler told the United Nations that he will never under any circumstances put his nuclear deterrence on the negotiating table.

The US is now sending a nuclear power aircraft carrier and more missile launchers to S Korea.

The US thinks that in the next couple of days Little Hitler is going to set off another ICBM overJapan and into the Pacific OR.........
OFF THE COAST OF CALIFORNIA.

In other words.... Get ready to meet your maker.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 6:44 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Just in.....

China is telling the US to get back to the table with North Korea to solve this crisis, but no one is showing up, so the next step is military action.

Meanwhile, Little Hitler told the United Nations that he will never under any circumstances put his nuclear deterrence on the negotiating table.

The US is now sending a nuclear power aircraft carrier and more missile launchers to S Korea.

The US thinks that in the next couple of days Little Hitler is going to set off another ICBM overJapan and into the Pacific OR.........
OFF THE COAST OF CALIFORNIA.

In other words.... Get ready to meet your maker.

^ Nice to have your cheerful self back with us. :mrgreen:

There Are Four Lights!