Page 151 of 214 [ 3415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154 ... 214  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 2:53 pm

The lawyer approved non-denial on Twitter deserves a closer reading.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_594db ... 78efd981c5

Saying I am unaware prepares one to say I forgot, later. I did not tape has huge, very large holes. Cross-examine him!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 6:56 pm

Darmok wrote:
Fake news? What fake news?

A big Trump-Russia story, retracted on a Friday just before midnight.

(Oh, that fake news.)

They have standards?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 7:52 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
I grew up on welfare. In 1988 or 1989 we somehow found out what the poverty line amount was then and our cash income at that time was under half of that. I remember the amount. We lived on $4,800/year
What? How? 8O Your whole family? I live on more than that per month by myself. I can't even imagine supporting a whole family on that amount per year.
SocOfAutism wrote:
I do not feel sorry for people on drugs receiving welfare. Go buy food. If you're buying drugs you're not hungry. If you're letting your kids go hungry so you can get high, you shouldn't have your kids.
I still feel sorry for them because quitting drugs isn't something you can do in a snap. It's almost like they're addictive or something. I agree these people shouldn't be having kids but cutting off their parents welfare isn't going to improve their access to food and the foster system isn't exactly paradise either. In my country we're solving the problem of drug addicted welfare recipients by paying their welfare into a debit card that can only be used for groceries, bills, clothing and other necessities.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 9:00 am

Food stamps are on an EBT card now,no way for the parents to buy drugs with it.Food only.

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 12:25 pm

It is absolutely mind-boggling how a political train-wreck like the current administration can exist. This presidency is an anti-intellectual monstrosity that feels more like a best-of episode of the early seasons of 'the Simpsons'. I am shocked. If it weren't for the dreadful immigration process and the thousands of dollars we invested to get me here, i would have stayed in Europe.

The politics in my country of origin are not even remotely close to being perfect, but compared to this abomination they seem to be stable!
I have been following the current administration since inauguration-day and this scatterbrained and disrespectful talk show-behavior can be considered a farce at best.

Or to quote the current president : SAD

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 8:39 pm

well I liked him better before he was president, he was better where he was in entertainment. All ideology and what not aside I just don't think hes cut out for it.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 1:32 am

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 11:46 am

What? How? 8O Your whole family? I live on more than that per month by myself. I can't even imagine supporting a whole family on that amount per year.[/quote]

Yeah, that was a family of one adult woman and three children. In current dollars it would be something like $10,000 a year now. Or 833 a month in cash, then I think we got something like $150-160 a month in food stamps in 1988, which would be about 300-350 now. You still might be able to make that work if you lived in the slums, but my mom insisted on buying a house, so we had a mortgage. That was $365 a month, or $760 in today's dollars of the cash. We rarely had a phone, often ran out of things like toilet paper and soap. Never had things like socks that one could do without. It was pretty miserable.

RetroGamer87 wrote:
In my country we're solving the problem of drug addicted welfare recipients by paying their welfare into a debit card that can only be used for groceries, bills, clothing and other necessities.

Misslizard wrote:
Food stamps are on an EBT card now,no way for the parents to buy drugs with it.Food only.

It used to be that way as well. Food stamps used to come in something that looked a lot like Monopoly money. Colorful, not mistakable for real cash. But then and now one could sell food stamps for a reduced amount on the dollar. 60 cents on the dollar, say. My mom didn't do that. What she did was use the cash money she got every month for drugs and the food stamps for food. When we ran out of food she'd beg people. Relatives, churches, or food banks.

There is also a scam that women can run on men where if you have multiple children by different men you can get benefits directly off the men either by child support, or from getting a portion of their state benefits. That's what happened with us- my dad died young and my mom got a check for us because we were his kids. These days a woman can have three or four different kids by different men, get three or four different child support payments for the different kids, and not work herself. This then takes such a chunk out of the men's income that they need welfare themselves to pay for the kids in their households or just to support themselves. Or they give up on working to get out of the payments, or they start doing illegal things to get more money.

See, the thing is, there really are systems in place for people who have problems and are have open hearts, ready to let people help them. Education, therapy, church fellowship, jobs, lots of stuff. But what do you do with the people who do not want to accept help? The Trump administration is now cutting off those able-bodied adults. That's hard for a lot of us to look at, and I'm sure it will create it's own problems, but maybe it's what has to be done. I hate saying this publicly because it seems unkind, but I'm pretty much okay with it.

My personal opinion is that we need to recreate homes for people who are seriously mentally unwell but put heavy regulations in place to make sure the people are abused by the workers or each other. And clean up the foster care system and child protection systems so that kids are better taken care of if they have to be removed from a home.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 5:40 pm

Would it possible to replace the entire welfare system with charity?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 5:54 pm

It wouldn't work. There are many charitable/philanthropic people--but they still don't raise enough money for all who need "charity."

Also: "Charity" implies a choice. One doesn't have to give to those whom they find "unworthy" under a system of "charity."

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 5:57 pm

Clement Atlee arrived at the same conclusion.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 6:07 pm

Also people exercise their in group preference with their charity giving. That will only perpetuate economic injustice.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 10:14 pm

Misslizard wrote:

That's not true. Anyone on FS, that needs cash, can go and get the cash, from some merchant who will illegally buy their FS. Let's say the FS recipient wants 25 dollars, the merchant runs their EBT card through the machine, and takes-off 50 dollars; then, the merchant gives them 25 dollars (thus, the FS recipient gets 50 cents, on the dollar----and they know the merchant is gonna do this----and, then they can buy ANYTHING, with it).