Page 189 of 214 [ 3415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192 ... 214  Next

ConquestofBread
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Nov 2017, 9:53 pm

We should just have universal free healthcare.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 10:00 pm

ConquestofBread wrote:

What I don't get is, my aunt's employer was able to provide free healthcare to thousands of basically minimum wage employees. It's something they elected to do and were proud of. And the founder/ceo is considered to be a total miser in most respects. So why can't the United States just provide the same thing for all of its citizens? Other countries do.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 10:08 pm

because our economic system is buttressed by the systematic scapegoating of the lower classes, in order to provide "negative reinforcement" for the middle classes to keep their collective noses to the grindstone and make more money for their upper-class masters.

ConquestofBread
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Nov 2017, 10:57 pm

The magic of capitalism.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 4:35 am

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 7:47 am

EzraS wrote:
ConquestofBread wrote:

What I don't get is, my aunt's employer was able to provide free healthcare to thousands of basically minimum wage employees. It's something they elected to do and were proud of. And the founder/ceo is considered to be a total miser in most respects. So why can't the United States just provide the same thing for all of its citizens? Other countries do.

Poor people get free government health care.

"74,305,276 individuals were enrolled in Medicaid and CHIP in the 51 states reporting August 2017 data".
https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid/progr ... index.html

That CEO is likely not doing them any favors. He could of increased their pay instead, and they could of signed up for Medicaid.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 12:16 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
EzraS wrote:
ConquestofBread wrote:

"74,305,276 individuals were enrolled in Medicaid and CHIP in the 51 states reporting August 2017 data".

That CEO is likely not doing them any favors. He could of increased their pay instead, and they could of signed up for Medicaid.

I don't think he pays them so little that they qualify for medicaid. I know my aunt doesn't qualify for a subsidy.

What's the max income allowed to qualify?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 1:40 pm

EzraS wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
EzraS wrote:
ConquestofBread wrote:

I don't think he pays them so little that they qualify for medicaid. I know my aunt doesn't qualify for a subsidy.

What's the max income allowed to qualify?

That's a complaint against Walmart .... that the pay is so low that the workers get Medicaid.

Eligibility
1. It's based on your state.
2. The income it looks at is your modified adjusted gross income, which is less than your actual income. It's your income after the personal exemption, standard deduction, and some further adjustments.
3. Typically if your modified adjusted gross income is less than 138% of the FPL (federal poverty level) ... which is based on the number of family members in your house ...then you qualify

Medicaid eligibility based on 138% FPL ...
https://www.zanebenefits.com/blog/2017- ... guidelines

For example, with 3 family members (mom and two kids say) .. you can make $28,000 + $4000 (personal exemption) + $6000 (standard deduction), so $38,000 and still qualify.

However, circumventing all this is the ACA rule that if you qualify for ACA, then you're ineligible for Medicaid. So, then you have to look up the ACA charts to see if you qualify for the ACA subsidies....
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/health/ ... ssistance/

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 2:01 pm

The House passes their tax cut bill!

The House voted to 227 to 205
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/16/us/p ... -bill.html

The US stock markets are up huge today.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 9:31 pm

So one day of raised stock values is worth how many years of degrading infrastructure?

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 9:41 pm

cberg wrote:
So one day of raised stock values is worth how many years of degrading infrastructure?

Don't know, ask Detroit.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 7:06 am

Nope, not tired of winning yet.

Crackdown on MS-13 gang nets more than 200 arrests
More than 200 MS-13 gang members were arrested in a major sweep called "Operation Raging Bull," the Trump administration announced Thursday.

Underscoring its promise earlier this year to crack down on a brutal gang, the Trump adminstration on Thursday announced the arrests of dozens of members of MS-13.

“Operation Raging Bull,” conducted Oct. 8-Nov. 11 across the United States, resulted in 214 arrests, officials said.

The operation was led by the Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) unit of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), in conjunction with local and federal officials.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/17/cr ... rests.html

There Are Four Lights!

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 12:41 am

present tax cut proposals :

The Senate proposal is shockingly better for the middle class ($0-$150000)

http://www.businessinsider.com/tax-brac ... on-2017-11

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 8:08 pm

Conrad Black: Trump is already the most successful U.S. president since Ronald Reagan

It is distressing to read and listen to the nonsense in the Canadian media about Donald Trump. It is too early to predict whether he will be a successful president or not. But no one relying on the Canadian media would be aware that he has more than doubled the economic growth rate, reduced illegal immigration by about 80 per cent, withdrawn from the insane Paris Climate accord, helped add trillions to U.S. stock market values, created nearly two million new jobs, led the rout of ISIL, and gained full Chinese adherence to the unacceptability of North Korean nuclear military capability. He will probably pass the greatest tax cuts and reforms since Reagan, if not Lyndon Johnson, by Christmas, and may throw out the most unpopular feature of Obamacare, the coercive mandate, with it.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/conrad- ... ald-reagan

There Are Four Lights!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 8:55 pm

Anyone here doing much better based on their stock and bond holdings?