Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 3:23 am

liveandrew wrote:
[Ah, schadenfreude. So rather that the usual definition of laughing at someone's misfortune, we're supposed to laugh at his stupidity, which is a type of misfortune, I guess (the misfortune of being born stupid)?

Thanks so much for explaining it to me and now I can safely say that Norm MacDonald probably isn't for me. Yes, humour is most definitely subjective :)

Another point about humour. I find that I don't like most "comedy" films for two main reasons:

1) I think that humour seems to work best over a shorter period than 1.5 hours, possibly because I find longer comedies tiring, so I like TV comedy series with 30 minute episodes more than the usual film comedy. A case in point, The Inbetweeners TV series was so much better than either of the films.
2) Most comedy films that come out nowadays, at least American ones, seem to have a juvenile, lads together, fart type humour which I don't find funny. A friend told me to watch "The Hangover" and "Superbad" - I hated both of them.

This isn't to say I don't like comedy films but they have to be something special (Life of Brian, Withnail & I, Spinal Tap, Young Frankenstein, Four Lions, Gregory's Girl).

well, i suppose both laugh at his stupidity and laugh at the stupid things he says as a result. and probably at the foolishness of the guy who spilled the coffee all over the incredibly expensive macbook (hope it was just a prop...! :lol: )

hey, you're welcome. i too prefer other comedians, but i'm not much of a comedy guy to begin with. that clip was just something that helped me smile a bit when i was going through an anxiety attack.

i agree with your points on comedy movies. "juvenile, lads together, fart type humour" sounds like the "buddy film" genre, which has a lot of overlap with the perhaps larger comedy film genre. they're not for me, would much rather spend my time watching an animated film or documentary.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 10:03 am

Most of today's comedians are filthy and not at all funny. Every second word needs to be bleeped.

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jan 2017, 4:42 am

My favourite comedian is Dave Gorman. He is a wizard with a powerpoint presentation, and he can do very funny things with graphs. He, like me, gets annoyed at the incorrect use of apostraphes and his information is always accurate. It's funnier than it sounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcMTHr3TqA0

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 5:53 am

I love the late Chris Farley, which may signify a lack of intellect on my part.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2017, 7:36 am

Goth Fairy wrote:
My favourite comedian is Dave Gorman. He is a wizard with a powerpoint presentation, and he can do very funny things with graphs. He, like me, gets annoyed at the incorrect use of apostraphes and his information is always accurate. It's funnier than it sounds.

I like Dave Gorman as well... or at least one of them :)

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jan 2017, 7:49 am

liveandrew wrote:
Goth Fairy wrote:

lol

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2017, 9:01 am

Goth Fairy wrote:
liveandrew wrote:
Goth Fairy wrote:

lol

I'm glad you got the joke. I was worried it would fall flat :)

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.