Is Windows sabotaging browsers to try and force Edge?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

DinoMongoosePenguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jan 2017, 1:35 am

I may have had problems with Chrome in the past every now and then, but I seem to be getting too many after I got Windows 10. Now, it seems that the display is horrible, almost like it's designed for mobile and since I have a laptop, it doesn't fully work (that's the best way I can explain it).

I wouldn't have suspected Microsoft of being responsible, had I not sometimes gotten messages, from Windows itself, suggesting that I switch from Chrome to Edge because Edge is 20% faster (supposedly).

You don't think the new Windows 10 is sabotaging rival browsers to try and force people onto theirs, do you?

I mean, Windows is already acting suspicious, cutting off support for all previous ones, thus trying to force everyone onto Windows 10.

I kept refusing to go to Windows 10 as it just didn't seem right. My family was upset that I didn't and whined that now I had to buy it instead of the free upgrade. (Though, ironically, I had the last laugh when Windows 10, while doing a regular update, somehow powered off, and resulted in a massive registry error forcing a complete reinstall of the operating system and then some.)

However, when my other laptop again got problems with the hinges (HP laptops are notorious for that), I HAD to get a new one, and thanks to the Big Brother Microsoft, it had to be a Windows 10.

Other than the speed, though, and maybe, to some degree, Cortana, I miss Windows 7.

madscientist132
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Jan 2017, 8:36 am

Microsoft has a long history of thwarting any sort of competitor software.

There is an opensource Windows called ReactOS but it's still Alpha quality software, what means, not yet fit for common users and i personally think that aspies as community we should support it and other OS substitutes that could be developed..

Quiet Water
Raven
Raven

27 Jan 2017, 8:57 am

I (have to) use Win10 at work; most in that office use either Chrome or Explorer rather than Edge.

I have no plans to put Win10 on my home machine, ever.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 9:21 am

Quiet Water wrote:
I have no plans to put Win10 on my home machine, ever.

Same here, but it is actually possible to tame Windows 10 and either remove or disable its undesirable features. The problem, however, is that it can take a lot of time and patience to get that done and few people would even know where to begin.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 5:29 pm

I became a full time Linux user largely because I was sick of Micro$oft's BS, and because Windows had a bad habit of locking up momentarily at random on my desktop. It isn't always easy, especially with friends who want me to play Windows-only games online with them, but I get by.

I like having control over my computer, and Linux gives me that.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 6:04 am

I have largely tamed win10 to stop it complaining, and i get few real problems with chrome.

It doesn't feel like microsoft is actively sabotaging chrome, but it remains a fact that chrome is quite hungry for RAM, which might be the reason, win10 appears to have some methods of distributing the RAM more "fairly", which inadvertedly hurts chrome.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 7:48 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I became a full time Linux user largely because I was sick of Micro$oft's BS, and because Windows had a bad habit of locking up momentarily at random on my desktop. It isn't always easy, especially with friends who want me to play Windows-only games online with them, but I get by.

I agree as well. If the OP isn't a gamer, Linux would be the way to go. I've used it off and from 1999 to 2011, when I got a system that had WinVista on it, and went Linux exclusive because of that.

flownawy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Feb 2017, 9:07 am

i got a very new nice huawei matebook with win 10

i deleted corona and disabled any update or microsoft server communication through hosts file editing and firewall blocking (tinywall)

i am using yandex browser without any issues and the OS is stable and do it job now

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

17 Feb 2017, 8:31 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I've made the switch too, not regretting it. Windows has become unusable for me in the last year or so, Linux functions a lot better at what I use my computer for.