Setting the stage for removing Trump via 25th Amendment?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 1:57 am

25th Amendment Article 4

Quote:
Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty-eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty-one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty-one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two-thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.

Trump Aides Keep Leaking Embarrassing Stories About How He Can’t Handle Embarrassment

Quote:
Nearly a dozen of Trump’s closest confidantes helped plant an embarrassing news story about how their boss can’t handle embarrassing news stories. Which is to say: A president who prizes loyalty in his subordinates has already been betrayed by a huge swath of his inner circle.

My feeling is that this was the Plan B for the Never Trump Republicans from the get go. They never believed Trump would act "Presidential". Except for Bannon and Conway most of the appointments are Pence type movement conservatives rather than populists. The flaw in the plan if that is what it is, Would enough Democrats go along? I would think they would want a politically inexperienced and crippled Trump as POTUS rather then politically astute Pence.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 12:34 pm

“I Hate Everyone in the White House!”: Trump Seethes as Advisers Fear the President Is “Unraveling” In recent days, I’ve spoken with a half dozen prominent Republicans and Trump advisers, and they all describe a White House in crisis as advisers struggle to contain a president that seems to be increasingly unfocused and consumed by dark moods.

Quote:
It first it sounded like hyperbole, the escalation of a Twitter war. But now it’s clear that Bob Corker’s remarkable New York Times interview—in which the Republican senator described the White House as “adult day care” and warned Trump could start World War III—was an inflection point in the Trump presidency. It brought into the open what several people close to the president have recently told me in private: that Trump is “unstable,” “losing a step,” and “unraveling.”

The conversation among some of the president’s longtime confidantes, along with the character of some of the leaks emerging from the White House has shifted. There’s a new level of concern. NBC News published a report that Trump shocked his national security team when he called for a nearly tenfold increase in the country’s nuclear arsenal during a briefing this summer. One Trump adviser confirmed to me it was after this meeting disbanded that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson called Trump a “moron.”

In recent days, I spoke with a half dozen prominent Republicans and Trump advisers, and they all describe a White House in crisis as advisers struggle to contain a president who seems to be increasingly unfocused and consumed by dark moods. Trump’s ire is being fueled by his stalled legislative agenda and, to a surprising degree, by his decision last month to back the losing candidate Luther Strange in the Alabama Republican primary. “Alabama was a huge blow to his psyche,” a person close to Trump said. “He saw the cult of personality was broken.”

According to two sources familiar with the conversation, Trump vented to his longtime security chief, Keith Schiller, “I hate everyone in the White House! There are a few exceptions, but I hate them!” (A White House official denies this.) Two senior Republican officials said Chief of Staff John Kelly is miserable in his job and is remaining out of a sense of duty to keep Trump from making some sort of disastrous decision.

While Kelly can’t control Trump’s tweets, he is doing his best to physically sequester the president—much to Trump’s frustration. One major G.O.P. donor told me access to Trump has been cut off, and his outside calls to the White House switchboard aren’t put through to the Oval Office. Earlier this week, I reported on Kelly’s plans to prevent Trump from mingling with guests at Mar-a-Lago later this month

Even before Corker’s remarks, some West Wing advisers were worried that Trump’s behavior could cause the Cabinet to take extraordinary Constitutional measures to remove him from office. Several months ago, according to two sources with knowledge of the conversation, former chief strategist Steve Bannon told Trump that the risk to his presidency wasn’t impeachment, but the 25th Amendment—the provision by which a majority of the Cabinet can vote to remove the president. When Bannon mentioned the 25th Amendment, Trump said, “What’s that?” According to a source, Bannon has told people he thinks Trump has only a 30 percent chance of making it the full term.

All of this is anonymous sources. If people think the guy is losing it and a danger to start WW3 it is time to go public with it or better yet act. Bob Corker only went public after he decided to not run for reelection. It looks like a guy trying to regain some dignity after Trump successfully bullied him out of running for reelection.

I understand the reluctance to use it and Charles Krauthhammer makes a compelling case of the dangerous precedent that would be set
https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/politics/charles-krauthammer-its-dangerous-if-you-hear-politicians-discuss-it/2017/05/17/ba0e5470-3b2b-11e7-a59b-26e0451a96fd_video.html?utm_term=.fecfbd8340e9

But saving hundreds of thousands or millions of lives is more important.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 1:31 pm

More anonymous sources eh. Who exactly is Trump going to start WW3 with?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 1:41 pm

Trump aint going nowhere

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 3:06 pm

25th amendment
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-fi ... nstitution

ASPartOfMe wrote:
25th Amendment Article 4
Quote:
Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office.

1. He can simply tell them, "I'm OK".
2. They have to prove he is unable to discharge his duties (no proof of that).

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 3:13 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Would enough Democrats go along? I would think they would want a politically inexperienced and crippled Trump as POTUS rather then politically astute Pence.

Only if Trump's removal hobbles Pence and the 2019 Congress. I may regret that if we get WWIII as a bonus.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Oct 2017, 6:33 pm

Why would they use the 25th when the impeachment process is much easier?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 8:10 pm

What about the Mueller investigation? Isn't that supposed to be going in for the kill to oust Trump?

And who is Trump going to start WWIII with again? Russia? China? Who?

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 8:58 pm

Raptor wrote:
Trump aint going nowhere

Nor is his agenda. First 4 year lame-duck that's been elected.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 2:14 am

EzraS wrote:
What about the Mueller investigation? Isn't that supposed to be going in for the kill to oust Trump?

Whomever he feels like.

There are several scenarios that couldend in disaster.
He can start a limited nuclear war and it could spiral out of control with others getting involved.

Others might conclude he is trigger happy so if a software error occurs showing an attack unlike in 1983 the Russians might conclude its real.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 9:43 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Whomever he feels like.

There are several scenarios that couldend in disaster.
He can start a limited nuclear war and it could spiral out of control with others getting involved.

Others might conclude he is trigger happy so if a software error occurs showing an attack unlike in 1983 the Russians might conclude its real.

So there's no realistic scenario.

As usual I googled Obama in palace of Trump and got the expected results:

WORLD WAR III? Obama Just Put Troops Along Lithuania's Border ...

Barack Obama literally tried to start World War III with Russia before ...

World War 3? Barack Obama Could Take A Major Step Toward War ...

Plenty of those. I won't bother doing the same with W and so on, because I already know what the result will be.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 9:53 am

The thing is: there are people in his OWN PARTY who are saying there are real problems with him. Real problems of "basic governing," rather than mere political differences. And Trump is denouncing Republicans, perhaps more vociferously than he's denouncing Democrats.

This is really rather unprecedented in recent history.

I've never liked people who have syncophantic entourages----"yes people."

And the guy just doesn't act Presidential. Especially in his tweets. In his tweets, he acts like some sort of schoolyard bully.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 10:19 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The thing is: there are people in his OWN PARTY who are saying there are real problems with him. Real problems of "basic governing," rather than mere political differences. And Trump is denouncing Republicans, perhaps more vociferously than he's denouncing Democrats.

This is really rather unprecedented in recent history.

I've never liked people who have syncophantic entourages----"yes people."

And the guy just doesn't act Presidential. Especially in his tweets. In his tweets, he acts like some sort of schoolyard bully.

Most congressentities don't really care if he insults them. That's what they say, and success as a politician seems like it demands a very thick hide indeed, so I pretty much believe it. The problem with the insults and attacks is what they demonstrate about Trump's ability to get things done, and beyond that a volatile temperament which should worry any reasonable person. They don't care about being attacked; they care about what the attacks signify.

It won't do them much good to publicly admit that they're "up to their eyeballs in sh** with this guy," but that's exactly what they're saying privately. At some point, they'll risk looking like complete fools by not admitting it publicly.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 12:32 pm

Trump is embarrassing Republicans....and they want to embarrass him back.

I don't see a good ending to the "Trump situation."

I wish Trump would go "quietly into the good night." But he won't.

And we will suffer as a nation.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 4:44 pm

EzraS wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Whomever he feels like.

There are several scenarios that could end in disaster.

So there's no realistic scenario.

As usual I googled Obama in palace of Trump and got the expected results:

WORLD WAR III? Obama Just Put Troops Along Lithuania's Border ...

Barack Obama literally tried to start World War III with Russia before ...

World War 3? Barack Obama Could Take A Major Step Toward War ...

Plenty of those. I won't bother doing the same with W and so on, because I already know what the result will be.

More realistic then if there were a mature person in control.

Wars go in ways unplanned often. That in part is why the phrase "The Fog of War" was coined. What was meant to be a small thing cascades into a disaster all the time.