Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

HarHer
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Jan 2017, 3:21 am

Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find a list of characteristics of AS for females? There is a strong history of autism in my family and, as a result, I have encountered professionals who suggest that I may also be on the spectrum, but they have never said what leads them to make such an assumption.

I am now living with my two older teenage sons (AS and PDA) and they need help with social integration and activities. However, I cannot help them due to my own social isolation and my strong fixation on my work related activities (online tutoring ).

I have a history of mental illness (eating disorder) for which I was hospitalised in my teens, so I don't really want to go down the medical route in case everything is interpreted as mental ill health (and questions about my ability to parent are raised), but I would like an online screen or a simple list of possible characteristics just to satisfy my curiosity,

I know this is a strange question, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 7:02 am

An online screening is the AQ 50, it's supposed to be done in a clinical setting (like all of the online ones with validity I think). A score above 32 means a possibility of ASD and they test you further.

http://aspergerstest.net/aq-test/

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 8:50 am

Girls and women who have Asperger’s syndrome by Dr. Tony Attwood

Aspienwomen: Moving towards an adult female profile of Autism/Asperger Syndrome by Tania A. Marshall, M.Sc.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Yulan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jan 2017, 9:09 am

Maybe this can help:

https://musingsofanaspie.com/essential-reading/

grts Yulan

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 2:58 am

Yulan wrote:

^My sister introduced me to her blog, and it is the best! She has an excellent resource section, in fact, and she's written a couple good books, herself.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 3:26 am

PDA is a massif cover up for those who pass, imo, but as it is, it's also a certain way to crash somewhere
http://strangeringodzone.blogspot.fr/20 ... ges_2.html
as i see it from this outpost it looks like heritairy (this isn't a word?) ways of coping?

HarHer
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Feb 2017, 3:12 am

Hello,

Thank you for the advice and links. The comments about PDA are very interesting. My youngest screens positively for autism both through online screening and initial assessment by a clinical psychologist, but he refuses to go for a formal diagnostic assessment. PDA is a profile that seems to capture his extremely avoidant and 'controlling' behaviour better than 'anxiety disorder' or 'social, emotional and behavioural' needs which are his current official diagnoses. However, it is a disputed condition where we live.

I am not pursuing a diagnosis for myself, rather, I am just exploring the possibility that some of the differences or difficulties that I have experienced in my life could be interpreted withing the context of autism. The indicators appear to be:

- difficulties with social interaction throughout childhood
- a profound eating disorder which required hospitalisation as a teenager and young woman
-difficulties understanding the 'rules' of friendship
- a preference for working alone
- a tendency to give far too much information, including the tendency to speak about sensitive topics irrespective of the audience
- obsessional interests and the inability to switch from something I am engrossed in to attend to other situations
- difficulties with awareness of risk
- having to learn conversational skills -mainly by imitation - I still have problems with turn taking and hate telephone conversations
- extreme emotional responses

However, the factors against include:

- the ability to appreciate the thoughts and feelings of other people,
- the ability to appreciate the thoughts and feelings of fictional characters (I am an avid reader of fiction)
- I would rather go to the theatre than visit a museum, although I love museums due to the stories the artefacts tell
- having a career that requires empathy and complex social interaction (teaching SEN) - although some of the 'indicators' complicate this
- no problems understanding figurative language or humour

I suppose, like many people who are going through a difficult time, I am trying to find an explanation that will help me understand things a little better.

Thank you again for the support.

alltheabove
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Feb 2017, 8:08 am

HarHer wrote:
Hello,

Thank you for the advice and links. The comments about PDA are very interesting. My youngest screens positively for autism both through online screening and initial assessment by a clinical psychologist, but he refuses to go for a formal diagnostic assessment. PDA is a profile that seems to capture his extremely avoidant and 'controlling' behaviour better than 'anxiety disorder' or 'social, emotional and behavioural' needs which are his current official diagnoses. However, it is a disputed condition where we live.

I am not pursuing a diagnosis for myself, rather, I am just exploring the possibility that some of the differences or difficulties that I have experienced in my life could be interpreted withing the context of autism. The indicators appear to be:

- a profound eating disorder which required hospitalisation as a teenager and young woman
- a tendency to give far too much information, including the tendency to speak about sensitive topics irrespective of the audience
- obsessional interests and the inability to switch from something I am engrossed in to attend to other situations
- having to learn conversational skills -mainly by imitation - I still have problems with turn taking and hate telephone conversations

- the ability to appreciate the thoughts and feelings of fictional characters (I am an avid reader of fiction)
- I would rather go to the theatre than visit a museum, although I love museums due to the stories the artefacts tell
- having a career that requires empathy and complex social interaction (teaching SEN) - although some of the 'indicators' complicate this

I suppose, like many people who are going through a difficult time, I am trying to find an explanation that will help me understand things a little better.

Well said! Thank you. I'm 31. I think an explanation would help me cope. Like you I understand the thoughts and feelings of others, but that's because I read a lot of self help books. I'm wondering if it's- my social awkwardness- is because of abuse or neglect. Ive learned the rules of engagement so I'm very entertaining. It's all acting though. Reading these forums and responding feels like I finally found my home.

MsV
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Feb 2017, 8:53 am

alltheabove wrote:
HarHer wrote:
Hello,

Well said! Thank you. I'm 31. I think an explanation would help me cope. Like you I understand the thoughts and feelings of others, but that's because I read a lot of self help books. I'm wondering if it's- my social awkwardness- is because of abuse or neglect. Ive learned the rules of engagement so I'm very entertaining. It's all acting though. Reading these forums and responding feels like I finally found my home.

Just remember there's no cookie cutter aspie and that there's a reason women fly under the radar longer. :wink:

Lucy521
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Feb 2017, 9:50 am

Females with Aspergers Non-Official Checklist

By Samantha Craft of Everyday Asperger’s, March 2012

This is a non-official checklist created by an adult female with Asperger’s Syndrome who has a son with Asperger’s Syndrome. Samantha Craft holds a Masters Degree in Education. Samantha Craft does not hold a doctorate in Psychiatry or Psychology. She has a life-credential as a result of being a female with Asperger’s Syndrome and being a parent of a child with Asperger’s Syndrome. She has created this list in an effort to assist mental health professionals in recognizing Asperger’s Syndrome in females.

Suggested Use: Check off all areas that strongly apply to the person. If each area has 75%-80% of the statements checked, or more, then you may want to consider that the female may have Asperger’s Syndrome.

Section A: Deep Thinkers

1. A deep thinker

2. A prolific writer drawn to poetry

3. Highly intelligent

4. Sees things at multiple levels including thinking processes.

5. Analyzes existence, the meaning of life, and everything continually.

6. Serious and matter-of-fact in nature.

7. Doesn’t take things for granted.

8. Doesn’t simplify.

9. Everything is complex.

10. Often gets lost in own thoughts and “checks out.” (blank stare)

Section B: Innocent

1. Naïve

2. Honest

3. Experiences trouble with lying.

4. Finds it difficult to understand manipulation and disloyalty.

5. Finds it difficult to understand vindictive behavior and retaliation.

6. Easily fooled and conned.

7. Feelings of confusion and being overwhelmed

8. Feelings of being misplaced and/or from another planet

9. Feelings of isolation

10. Abused or taken advantage of as a child but didn’t think to tell anyone.

Section C: Escape and Friendship

1. Survives overwhelming emotions and senses by escaping in thought or action.

2. Escapes regularly through fixations, obsessions, and over-interest in subjects.

3. Escapes routinely through imagination, fantasy, and daydreaming.

4. Escapes through mental processing.

5. Escapes through the rhythm of words.

6. Philosophizes continually.

7. Had imaginary friends in youth.

8. Imitates people on television or in movies.

9. Treated friends as “pawns” in youth, e.g., friends were “students,” “consumers,” “soldiers.”

10. Makes friends with older or younger females.

11. Imitates friends or peers in style, dress, and manner.

12. Obsessively collects and organizes objects.

13. Mastered imitation.

14. Escapes by playing the same music over and over.

15. Escapes through a relationship (imagined or real).

16. Numbers bring ease.

17. Escapes through counting, categorizing, organizing, rearranging.

18. Escapes into other rooms at parties.

19. Cannot relax or rest without many thoughts.

20. Everything has a purpose.

Section D: Comorbid Attributes

1. OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)

2. Sensory Issues (sight, sound, texture, smells, taste)

3. Generalized Anxiety

4. Sense of pending danger or doom

5. Feelings of polar extremes (depressed/over-joyed; inconsiderate/over-sensitive)

6. Poor muscle tone, double-jointed, and/or lack in coordination

7. Eating disorders, food obsessions, and/or worry about what is eaten.

8. Irritable bowel and/or intestinal issues

9. Chronic fatigue and/or immune challenges

10. Misdiagnosed or diagnosed with other mental illness and/or labeled hypochondriac.

11. Questions place in the world.

12. Often drops small objects

13. Wonders who she is and what is expected of her.

14. Searches for right and wrong.

15. Since puberty, has had bouts of depression.

16. Flicks/rubs fingernails, flaps hands, rubs hands together, tucks hands under or between legs, keeps closed fists, and/or clears throat often.

Section E: Social Interaction

1. Friends have ended friendship suddenly and without person understanding why.

2. Tendency to over-share.

3. Spills intimate details to strangers.

4. Raised hand too much in class or didn’t participate in class.

5. Little impulse control with speaking when younger.

6. Monopolizes conversation at times.

7. Bring subject back to self.

8. Comes across at times as narcissistic and controlling. (Is not narcissistic.)

9. Shares in order to reach out.

10. Sounds eager and over-zealous at times.

11. Holds a lot of thoughts, ideas, and feelings inside.

12. Feels as if she is attempting to communicate “correctly.”

13. Obsesses about the potentiality of a relationship with someone, particularly a love interest.

14. Confused by the rules of accurate eye contact, tone of voice, proximity of body, stance, and posture in conversation.

15. Conversation can be exhausting.

16. Questions the actions and behaviors of self and others, continually.

17. Feels as if missing a conversation “gene” or thought-“filter”

18. Trained self in social interactions through readings and studying of other people.

19. Visualizes and practices how she will act around others.

20. Practices in mind what she will say to another before entering the room.

21. Difficulty filtering out background noise when talking to others.

22. Has a continuous dialogue in mind that tells her what to say and how to act when in a social situations.

23. Sense of humor sometimes seems quirky, odd, or different from others.

24. As a child, it was hard to know when it was her turn to talk.

25. She finds norms of conversation confusing.

Section F: Finds Refuge when Alone

1. Feels extreme relief when she doesn’t have to go anywhere, talk to anyone, answer calls, or leave the house.

2. One visitor at the home may be perceived as a threat.

3. Knowing logically a house visitor is not a threat, doesn’t relieve the anxiety.

4. Feelings of dread about upcoming events and appointments on the calendar.

5. Knowing she has to leave the house causes anxiety from the moment she wakes up.

6. All the steps involved in leaving the house are overwhelming and exhausting to think about.

7. She prepares herself mentally for outings, excursions, meetings, and appointments.

8. Question next steps and movements continually.

9. Telling self the “right” words and/or positive self-talk doesn’t often alleviate anxiety.

10. Knowing she is staying home all day brings great peace of mind.

11. Requires a large amount of down time or alone time.

12. Feels guilty after spending a lot of time on a special interest.

13. Uncomfortable in public locker rooms, bathrooms, and/or dressing rooms.

14. Dislikes being in a crowded mall, crowded gym, or crowded theater.

Section G: Sensitive

1. Sensitive to sounds, textures, temperature, and/or smells when trying to sleep.

2. Adjusts bedclothes, bedding, and/or environment in an attempt to find comfort.

3. Dreams are anxiety-ridden, vivid, complex, and/or precognitive in nature.

4. Highly intuitive to others’ feelings.

5. Takes criticism to heart.

6. Longs to be seen, heard, and understood.

7. Questions if she is a “normal” person.

8. Highly susceptible to outsiders’ viewpoints and opinions.

9. At times adapts her view of life or actions based on others’ opinions or words.

10. Recognizes own limitations in many areas daily.

11. Becomes hurt when others question or doubt her work.

12. Views many things as an extension of self.

13. Fears others opinions, criticism, and judgment.

14. Dislikes words and events that hurt animals and people.

15. Collects or rescues animals. (often in childhood)

16. Huge compassion for suffering.

17. Sensitive to substances. (environmental toxins, foods, alcohol, etc.)

18. Tries to help, offers unsolicited advice, or formalizes plans of action.

19. Questions life purpose and how to be a “better” person.

20. Seeks to understand abilities, skills, and/or gifts.

Section H: Sense of Self

1. Feels trapped between wanting to be herself and wanting to fit in.

2. Imitates others without realizing.

3. Suppresses true wishes.

4. Exhibits codependent behaviors.

5. Adapts self in order to avoid ridicule.

6. Rejects social norms and/or questions social norms.

7. Feelings of extreme isolation.

8. Feeling good about self takes a lot of effort and work.

9. Switches preferences based on environment and other people.

10. Switches behavior based on environment and other people.

11. Didn’t care about her hygiene, clothes, and appearance before teenage years and/or before someone else pointed these out to her.

12. “Freaks out” but doesn’t know why until later.

13. Young sounding voice

14. Trouble recognizing what she looks like and/or has occurrences of slight prosopagnosia (difficulty recognizing or remembering faces).

Section I: Confusion

1. Had a hard time learning others are not always honest.

2. Feelings seem confusing, illogical, and unpredictable. (self’s and others’)

3. Confuses appointment times, numbers, or dates.

4. Expects that by acting a certain way certain results can be achieved, but realizes in dealing with emotions, those results don’t always manifest.

5. Spoke frankly and literally in youth.

6. Jokes go over the head.

7. Confused when others ostracize, shun, belittle, trick, and betray.

8. Trouble identifying feelings unless they are extreme.

9. Trouble with emotions of hate and dislike.

10. Feels sorry for someone who has persecuted or hurt her.

11. Personal feelings of anger, outrage, deep love, fear, giddiness, and anticipation seem to be easier to identify than emotions of joy, satisfaction, calmness, and serenity.

12. Situations and conversations sometimes perceived as black or white.

13. The middle spectrum of outcomes, events, and emotions is sometimes overlooked or misunderstood. (All or nothing mentality)

14. A small fight might signal the end of a relationship or collapse of world.

15. A small compliment might boost her into a state of bliss.

Section J: Words and Patterns

1. Likes to know word origins.

2. Confused when there is more than one meaning to a word.

3. High interest in songs and song lyrics.

4. Notices patterns frequently.

5. Remembers things in visual pictures.

6. Remembers exact details about someone’s life.

7. Has a remarkable memory for certain details.

8. Writes or creates to relieve anxiety.

9. Has certain “feelings” or emotions towards words.

10. Words bring a sense of comfort and peace, akin to a friendship.

(Optional) Executive Functioning This area isn’t always as evident as other areas

1. Simple tasks can cause extreme hardship.

2. Learning to drive a car or rounding the corner in a hallway can be troublesome.

3. New places offer their own set of challenges.

4. Anything that requires a reasonable amount of steps, dexterity, or know-how can rouse a sense of panic.

5. The thought of repairing, fixing, or locating something can cause anxiety.

6. Mundane tasks are avoided.

7. Cleaning may seem insurmountable at times.

8. Many questions come to mind when setting about to do a task.

9. Might leave the house with mismatched socks, shirt buttoned incorrectly, and/or have dyslexia.

10. A trip to the grocery store can be overwhelming.

11. Trouble copying dance steps, aerobic moves, or direction in a sports gym class.

12. Has a hard time finding certain objects in the house, but remembers with exact clarity where other objects are

Karfain
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Mar 2017, 9:11 am

I found this chart on Pinterest:Image

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 12:13 pm

That chart is a great summary: I see plenty of those things in my wife. Of course, her likely being on the spectrum is the only reasonable explaination that a)she can put up with my quirks day after day and b)she has such a small dating history for someone who is just frankly drop dead gorgeous and youthful for her age. To be honest, if I didn't read this section before I dated her I would never have caught on that she was interested in me at all.

I also find it ironic that the Females with Aspergers checklist describes me (a male) to a T, right up to the 'usually befriends older and younger women'.