Can an aspie has low IQ/mental retardation?

Page 4 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 11:20 am

Chichikov wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Every source on the web says "no cognitive delays" .

Please point out on this source where is says "no cognitive delays"

http://www.autism-society.org/dsm-iv-di ... fications/

Or this one

http://readingroom.mindspec.org/?page_i ... GwodFgYCSg

Or this one

http://www.autreat.com/dsm4-aspergers.html

Would "delay in cognitive development" have the same meaning as "cognitive development delay"? And then would "cognitive development delay" have the same meaning as "cognitive delay"?

I'd read all these the same:

Delay in social communication development
Social communication development delay
Social communication delay

Delay in motor development
Motor development delay
Motor delay

Delay in cognitive development
Cognitive development delay
Cognitive delay

etc

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 7:04 pm

So naturalplastic was wrong?

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 2:09 am

Chichikov wrote:

What?

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 8:19 am

iliketrees wrote:
Chichikov wrote:

What?

When they said

Quote:
Every source on the web says "no cognitive delays"

...they were wrong, correct?

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 8:41 am

Chichikov wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Chichikov wrote:

What?

When they said

Quote:
Every source on the web says "no cognitive delays"

...they were wrong, correct?

I guess technically yeah, since you can find sources which interpret Asperger's in an odd way - the ones that say the diagnostic criteria are way out and Asperger's is actually something completely different.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 9:07 am

iliketrees wrote:
I guess technically yeah, since you can find sources which interpret Asperger's in an odd way - the ones that say the diagnostic criteria are way out and Asperger's is actually something completely different.

So what you're saying is that you can make any claim about AS and if the official diagnostic criteria do not include that attribute you can say that the official criteria is wrong and that <insert random link you found on the internet that makes a claim that supports what you are saying> is actually more accurate? I hope it's obvious that such an argument is incredibly flawed.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 9:27 am

Whilst I do not have an Asperger's diagnosis (I have 'high-functioning autism' according to my assessor), I would not be surprised if I have an extraordinarily low IQ.

I believe this to be the case as I am appalling at art, science, foreign languages and my reading comprehension is dreadful, too. I struggle to communicate, my brain is remarkably blank most of the time and I suspect I have an auditory sensory disorder because I NEVER remember spoken information. To put it simply, I never really know what is going on.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 10:22 am

Chichikov wrote:
iliketrees wrote:

So what you're saying is that you can make any claim about AS and if the official diagnostic criteria do not include that attribute you can say that the official criteria is wrong and that <insert random link you found on the internet that makes a claim that supports what you are saying> is actually more accurate? I hope it's obvious that such an argument is incredibly flawed.

I'm not saying what you think I am. Not everything on the internet about Aspergers is correct, someone on a blogging site or whatever screaming at the diagnostic criteria is still a source but it wouldn't include anything about cognitive delays, so not every source says "no cognitive delays".

However, everything listing the diagnostic criteria will say "delay in cognitive development" or equivalent in different wording, so every source of that specific type will, yeah.

MentalIllnessObsessed
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Feb 2017, 11:57 am

Greetings. So I believed myself that someone with Aspergers couldn't have low IQ/mental retardation/intellectual disability, but according to the "ICD-10 Guide to Mental Retardation", they can. Here is the link, and I'll quote the Asperger's Syndrome section for you.

Quote:
Asperger's syndrome is said by some authorities to differ from autism primarily in that there is no
general delay or retardation in language or in cognitive development. However, the diagnosis is applicable
to mentally ret*d individuals who, while having no general retardation of language, do have highly
deviant idiosyncratic or repetitive language.

http://www.who.int/mental_health/media/en/69.pdf

This was found on page 55 of the pdf file if anyone would like to read it themselves. I was not one to believe this before, but unless someone else has evidence disproving this article from the official WHO website, then I can't say but to agree with the person who says it can happen, but maybe not for the reasons they were arguing. Also, if I am misinterpreting this paragraph, then please explain what it actually is saying.

It could also be the case that the criteria for both of them are conflicting, so I will post both criteria below. One is from the DSM-IV (Asperger's) and the other is from the ICD-10 (mental retardation). If you would like, I can get both criteria (ie Asperger's from ICD-10 and intellectal disability DSM-V or mental retardation DSM-IV(-TR) for anyone who wants to compare each criteria to the same diagnostic book. Here are the links to each other.

Asperger's Syndrome: http://www.autreat.com/dsm4-aspergers.html *
Mental Retardation: http://apps.who.int/classifications/app ... ?gf70.htm+

*Note: The Asperger's Syndrome is not the from the official DSM site, but I can find a copy of the DSM-IV online, tell the page number if the above criteria does not provide enough information.

Dx Autism Spectrum Disorder - Level 1, learning disability - memory and fine motor skills, generalized and social anxiety disorder
Unsure if diagnosed with OCD and/or depression, but were talked about with my old/former pdoc and doctor.

Criteria for my learning disability is found at this link:
http://www.ldao.ca/wp-content/uploads/LDAO-Recommended-Practices-for-Assessment-Diagnosis-Documentation-of-LDs1.pdf

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 12:13 pm

MentalIllnessObsessed wrote:
Greetings. So I believed myself that someone with Aspergers couldn't have low IQ/mental retardation/intellectual disability, but according to the "ICD-10 Guide to Mental Retardation", they can. Here is the link, and I'll quote the Asperger's Syndrome section for you.

Quote:
Asperger's syndrome is said by some authorities to differ from autism primarily in that there is no
general delay or retardation in language or in cognitive development. However, the diagnosis is applicable
to mentally ret*d individuals who, while having no general retardation of language, do have highly

http://www.who.int/mental_health/media/en/69.pdf

This was found on page 55 of the pdf file if anyone would like to read it themselves. I was not one to believe this before, but unless someone else has evidence disproving this article from the official WHO website, then I can't say but to agree with the person who says it can happen, but maybe not for the reasons they were arguing. Also, if I am misinterpreting this paragraph, then please explain what it actually is saying.

It could also be the case that the criteria for both of them are conflicting, so I will post both criteria below. One is from the DSM-IV (Asperger's) and the other is from the ICD-10 (mental retardation). If you would like, I can get both criteria (ie Asperger's from ICD-10 and intellectal disability DSM-V or mental retardation DSM-IV(-TR) for anyone who wants to compare each criteria to the same diagnostic book. Here are the links to each other.

Asperger's Syndrome: http://www.autreat.com/dsm4-aspergers.html *
Mental Retardation: http://apps.who.int/classifications/app ... ?gf70.htm+

*Note: The Asperger's Syndrome is not the from the official DSM site, but I can find a copy of the DSM-IV online, tell the page number if the above criteria does not provide enough information.

Wow, that's so weird. I wonder why they'd contradict their own criteria? And if any clinician would diagnose someone with intellectual disability with Asperger's?

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 3:31 pm

Note also they clearly don't consider a delay in cognitive development to be the same thing as being mentally ret*d, which is the thing most people on this thread were pinning their arguments on.

Ganondox wrote:
pretty much everything Chichikov said is nonsense

Shame the mods deleted your other personal insults toward me as they'd have made apt quoting right about now too ;) I won't hold my breath for an apology though.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 3:37 pm

Chichikov wrote:

Note also they clearly don't consider a delay in cognitive development to be the same thing as being mentally ret*d, which is the thing most people on this thread were pinning their arguments on.

Considering they say "however", it seems they do.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 6:13 pm

iliketrees wrote:
Chichikov wrote:

You have repeatedly shown a very poor grasp of the English language on this thread and a very poor grasp of interpreting the English language. It really is about time you just gave up.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 2:00 am

Chichikov wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Chichikov wrote:

You have repeatedly shown a very poor grasp of the English language on this thread and a very poor grasp of interpreting the English language. It really is about time you just gave up.

Alright, language expert, what on earth does "however" actually mean in this context?

Quote:

DubSackJack
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Feb 2017, 6:45 pm

Fraser_1990 wrote:
No, all aspies are geniuses. If you're an aspie who isn't designing rocket ship engines for NASA, then you're under performing.

Does being the president of the engineering club and working on a rocket, electric car, battlebot and underwater ROV count as under performing? I don't work for nasa, but someday soon nasa is going to work for me :)

DubSackJack
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Feb 2017, 6:52 pm

iliketrees wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Chichikov wrote:

Alright, language expert, what on earth does "however" actually mean in this context?

Quote:

That's both an adverb and a conjunction. In this case, it could be considered an introductory clause as well as a conjunction.