Can an aspie has low IQ/mental retardation?

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2017, 5:57 am

In my middle and high school there was a girl with low IQ/mental retardation(she wasn't good in any area,she was in my age but she was a grade bellow me because she stayed for two years in the same grade at 1st grade of elementary school, she spoke rarely but when she spoke she spoke weird and she said nosenses) but she had many aspie traits she flapped her hands, she was alone, she wanted to have friends but she didn't know how to approach others, she stressed easily etc. I read in many articles that aspies have normal or high intelligence can an aspie have low IQ/mental retardation or that girl has other disorder?

sorry about my english

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 6:16 am

NoName93 wrote:
In my middle and high school there was a girl with low IQ/mental retardation(she wasn't good in any area,she was in my age but she was a grade bellow me because she stayed for two years in the same grade at 1st grade of elementary school, she spoke rarely but when she spoke she spoke weird and she said nosenses) but she had many aspie traits she flapped her hands, she was alone, she wanted to have friends but she didn't know how to approach others, she stressed easily etc. I read in many articles that aspies have normal or high intelligence can an aspie have low IQ/mental retardation or that girl has other disorder?

sorry about my english

That doesn't sound like an aspie. It sounds like someone with moderate to severe classic (Kanners) autism. Most aspies have mild autism and are not intellectually disabled (mental retardation). Some aspies do score low on IQ tests because those tests don't always work well for those with Aspergers, but they are actually very intelligent.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 6:31 am

Part of the definition of aspergers is "having an IQ of 70 or above" (slightly below average, through average, up to genius).

So if the person has an IQ low enough to be classed as "ret*d" they are not lumped with aspergers (nor with 'high functioning autistism'). But can be classed as "autistic".

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2017, 6:35 am

EzraS wrote:
NoName93 wrote:

sorry about my english

That doesn't sound like an aspie. It sounds like someone with moderate to severe classic (Kanners) autism. Most aspies have mild autism and are not intellectually disabled (mental retardation). Some aspies do score low on IQ tests because those tests don't always work well for those with Aspergers, but they are actually very intelligent.

I read that people with classic autism don't want to have friends but this girl wanted to have friends

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 9:18 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Part of the definition of aspergers is "having an IQ of 70 or above" (slightly below average, through average, up to genius).

The only part IQ takes in an autism\aspergers diagnosis is that the symptoms are not down to a low intelligence, there is no requirement for anyone to have a specific IQ to be diagnosed with aspergers.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 9:28 am

Chichikov wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

The only part IQ takes in an autism\aspergers diagnosis is that the symptoms are not down to a low intelligence, there is no requirement for anyone to have a specific IQ to be diagnosed with aspergers.

DSM IV wrote:
(V) There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction) and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

ICD 10 wrote:
A. A lack of any clinically significant general delay in spoken or receptive language or cognitive development. Diagnosis requires that single words should have developed by two years of age or earlier and that communicative phrases be used by three years of age or earlier. Self-help skills, adaptive behaviour and curiosity about the environment during the first three years should be at a level consistent with intellectual development. However, motor milestones may be somewhat delayed and motor clumsiness is usual (although not a necessary diagnostic feature). Isolated special skills, often related to abnormal preoccupations, are common, but are not required for diagnosis.

The key thing there is that both criteria mention "cognitive development".

Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2017, 9:47 am

No, all aspies are geniuses. If you're an aspie who isn't designing rocket ship engines for NASA, then you're under performing.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 10:01 am

NoName93 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
NoName93 wrote:

sorry about my english

I read that people with classic autism don't want to have friends but this girl wanted to have friends

That thought occurred to me, but there's always exceptions to the norm. Also I think sometimes people only want something because others have it. I like having my cousin as my friend and I like having my online friend of 3 years. But that's it for me.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 10:07 am

iliketrees wrote:

The key thing is that neither mention an IQ threshold.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 10:19 am

Chichikov wrote:
iliketrees wrote:

"Clinically significant delay in cognitive development" = intellectual disability = IQ below 70

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 10:27 am

iliketrees wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
iliketrees wrote:

"Clinically significant delay in cognitive development" = intellectual disability = IQ below 70

:lol: that's just your definition and an incorrect one. If there was such a precise and explicit IQ threshold then it would be clearly stated in the diagnostic criteria.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 10:31 am

Chichikov wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
iliketrees wrote:

:lol: that's just your definition and an incorrect one. If there was such a precise and explicit IQ threshold then it would be clearly stated in the diagnostic criteria.

What do you think cognitive delay is?

Last edited by iliketrees on 29 Jan 2017, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 10:46 am

A person can have some Aspie traits with mental retardation but not actually have AS.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 1:15 pm

No according to the criteria. They would either have PDD-NOS or classic autism. Now can a slow learner have AS, I am not sure but I have heard of people still having that diagnoses despite their borderline IQ.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2017, 2:34 pm

League_Girl wrote:
No according to the criteria. They would either have PDD-NOS or classic autism. Now can a slow learner have AS, I am not sure but I have heard of people still having that diagnoses despite their borderline IQ.

what is PDD-NOS?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 2:42 pm

PDD/NOS-Pervasive Developmental Delay, Not Otherwise Specified