Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 8:47 am

When I was a kid, my parents didn't want me reading certain types of books (mostly scary books) because they said I would act differently after reading them. Back then I brushed it off as them not liking the same things I did, so they made excuses to keep me away from it, but here lately I can't help but wonder if they were right. On the occasion that I go to Creepypasta.com to read some scary stories, I always find myself in a mindset like I'm in a scary story. I'll start connecting everything that's happening around me to the coming of some monster that's going to kill me, lol. If I keep at it too long, it starts to feel depressing. Same way with other books, too. If something bad happens to the main character, I'll find myself moping around like it happened to me too. If it's a happy, silly part of the book, I'll be bouncing around making jokes. I'm not sure what to make of it, honestly. Am I too easily influenced by outside sources?

Mostly I just want to know if I'm alone in this. Does anybody else feel like this?

sweetperfume
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jan 2017, 4:32 pm

I think I do that, too. Even if I don't particularly like a character/storyline, I sometimes find my actions and thoughts reflecting the events/behaviors of the story for a few days after I finish the book. There was one specific time I remember that I was reading a book in which the planet was going to be destroyed in a few days. I put it down to do my homework, and in the middle of that I distinctly remember thinking, "Why do I have to finish my homework if the world's going to end?" Then I remembered that the end of the world was only happening in the book.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 2:33 pm

Nope. If I am reading a new story about something bad happening I will feel emotions but other than that the fictional don't affect me outside of when I am reading.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 1:39 am

There have been some occasions where I've felt sad about the death of a fictional character in literature. One character that comes to mind is Arnie, who buys the haunted car, Christine, in Stephen King's book of the same name. Arnie dies because of the car, and it's evil former owner, Levay, but both are finally stopped by the narrator, Arnie's best friend. When the narrator awakens momentarily in the hospital, afterward, he thinks Arnie is there at the foot of the bed, who thanks the narrator for saving him. Hey, I got teary eyed!

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2017, 3:46 am

I occasionally will bond with the characters in books. Once I'm finished with the story, my mind may abduct certain characters or scenarios from writings into the little fantasy worlds that live in my head. Often just the personality survives and they'll change names/faces, but I can't help but think, (not without some humour) that I'm keeping these characters alive after the book has 'passed away'.
I do recall the mistake of picking up and spending the day to read, cover to cover, a Graham Masterton as a child, though. It was an awkward scenario where I was always eager to read and absorb new stories but did not always encounter child-friendly reading materials, particularly since my mum and older sister liked dark, paranormal horror titles - years later all I can say is I'm just not cut for the genre as my mind will play tricks on me. Anyway, I lay blame for a lot of these book-incidents at the door of having a very active imagination. It's a double-edged blade that can work in one's favour in life, but can also result in sleepless nights.

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2017, 3:49 am

That sounds a little escapist, to me, though a bit different. Are you particularly invested in your real life, or somewhat detached?

I've certainly had my thoughts influenced by characters, but not to the extent of believing after I put the book down that the world is going to end. The closest I've ever got to this is intensely playing video games (8+ hours per day) and feeling the bleeding effect described in Assassin's Creed: game events are more real than real events.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 10:53 am

All good books effect me. I will laugh when they’re funny, and imagine a presence behind me when they’re scary. Thrilling parts make me very eager to continue, and the death of an animal in just about any story makes me cry.
Usually the mood created by the book ends shortly after I put away the book.

Occasionally it lasts longer. Finishing a really good book (like the Wolf Springs Trilogy), makes me want to avoid reading for a while both because I want to stay in that world in my mind for a while and because other books can’t compete so soon after finishing something really great.
I often enjoy thinking about the book for a while.

I’ve also experienced a mood being somewhat left behind because I’m into the book and want to continue reading. This will be particularly with exciting/thrilling parts.

When I read Life As We Knew It (about an asteroid hitting and moving the moon, creating famine and floods). In the book they didn’t have a lot of food and used it carefully. One day we were gonna eat, and as I watched my mother putting some of the ingredients on the table, I was about to ask if we should really use that much when we had so little.
Then it hit me, that oh yeah, it’s just a book.
I have also experienced watching movies or reading books and being so into that world that I find myself being almost a little confused when I finish the book or the credits run and I’m brought back to reality.
This only happens with fiction that really hooks me, and I love being that into the good ones.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Moondancer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2017, 8:11 am

I fall asleep when I read.
Isn't getting involved in the characters supposed to be a great sign of empathy?

marika.ashley
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Mar 2017, 12:21 am

ThisAdamGuy wrote:
When I was a kid, my parents didn't want me reading certain types of books (mostly scary books) because they said I would act differently after reading them. Back then I brushed it off as them not liking the same things I did, so they made excuses to keep me away from it, but here lately I can't help but wonder if they were right. On the occasion that I go to Creepypasta.com to read some scary stories, I always find myself in a mindset like I'm in a scary story. I'll start connecting everything that's happening around me to the coming of some monster that's going to kill me, lol. If I keep at it too long, it starts to feel depressing. Same way with other books, too. If something bad happens to the main character, I'll find myself moping around like it happened to me too. If it's a happy, silly part of the book, I'll be bouncing around making jokes. I'm not sure what to make of it, honestly. Am I too easily influenced by outside sources?

Mostly I just want to know if I'm alone in this. Does anybody else feel like this?

I don't think you're at all alone in that. I think that I gleaned a lot of my social behaviors and expectations from books and tv that I consumed as a kid, sort of amalgamating them together into some sort of workable whole haha. But I would be so absorbed in a story that I would take on the traits of the characters, sometimes consciously and oftentimes not consciously. I still do this when a book or movie is particularly engrossing.