Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 9:05 pm

komamanga wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
komamanga wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Welcome!

I worked with two of your native compatriots (filmmakers Vojtěch "Vojtě" Jasný and František "Frank" Daniel)! I enjoyed working with them for a few years. From them, I learned that the Czech language is very interesting.

Oh this is amazing! I've never expected to come across such a thing in this forum i guess i was very wrong!
Would you please share on which projects you worked with them? I'm not a native Czech but i have a big interest in Czech cinema :)

When it comes to Czech language, it's very difficult for a non-Slavic person to learn but it has such quirks in that you simply fall in love with it when you get into it. I'm sad that, though, many Czech people tend to not only discredit their language but also try to make it harder for you than it actually is.

I worked with Frank and Vojtě for a few years when we all were part of the Sundance Institute filmmakers' laboratory at Robert Redford's Sundance Mountain Resort. I worked as a technical staff projectionist, and Frank and Vojtě worked as advisers to new filmmakers. The three of us lived at a privately owned cabin complex (the smaller cabin was mine). Vojtě made Turkish coffee for my partner and I when my partner visited. Then, Vojtě "read" our fortunes and futures in the coffee grounds. Vojtě read my palm once at a staff party, too, claiming that I was "a girl!" I laughed because I am gay, and that was probably the best description he could divine about me. :-) Every year, Vojtě would show up at Sundance with a 16mm copy of one of his films from the 1960s. The film was the only remaining copy of his only remaining film in existence at the time. He literally saw the Soviet troops advancing in 1968 on his neighborhood, grabbed the film and left his home before coming to the United States and teach film in New York. With such a rare film in my care, I advised Vojtě strongly to have technicians at his university copy the film onto a high-quality videotape so we (I) wouldn't risk damaging his original copy. The next summer, he was proud to show me the videotape! I have other stories about Frank and Vojtě, but this is the short version. :wink:

Amazing story, really glad to meet a person like you... I would love to listen to more of your stories and this one was particularly funny as i had no idea Vojtěch Jasný could read fortunes the Turkish style! I'm Turkish and i don't know how to do it :) And he seemingly had great skills in fortunetelling in general!
I'm also very shocked that you technically helped save his work. You are a hero!
I'm just puzzled about the name... I wonder if he really called himself Vojtě nebo Vojta? Because the familiar abbreviation of the name Vojtěch is Vojta (Or if you would like to 'cutify' things; Vojtík, Vojtíšek...)

Thank you for correcting my spelling of Vojta's name! I simply thought that it was truncated, not spelled differently. I wondered if Vojta was simply playing a game with me, and didn't really know how to read fortunes. But, it was quite entertaining anyway. I don't see myself as any hero. I was simply trying to avoid destroying his film. I am glad to have met you, too! I haven't told many people these stories.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 10:59 am

kazanscube wrote:
Welcome to wrongplanet as I hope your stay and tenure here will a most pleasant and meaningful one.
I tend to be the wrongplanet member whom constantly changes his avatar.

Thank you very much :) Do you have a special reason to do so?

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 11:09 am

AspieUtah wrote:
Thank you for correcting my spelling of Vojta's name! I simply thought that it was truncated, not spelled differently. I wondered if Vojta was simply playing a game with me, and didn't really know how to read fortunes. But, it was quite entertaining anyway. I don't see myself as any hero. I was simply trying to avoid destroying his film. I am glad to have met you, too! I haven't told many people these stories.

It's actually also pronounced very differently. This is something really interesting about Czech language. They have names and they have the shorter version of them by which they're called by friends/relatives and if you're close to them and keep calling them by their original names they get offended! :)

Haha, maybe so! In Turkish there is a saying that goes like: 'One cup of coffee has memories enough for 40 years' :)
I'm super happy to hear your stories and would love to hear more in future too. Thanks for sharing.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 12:14 pm

komamanga wrote:
kazanscube wrote:
Welcome to wrongplanet as I hope your stay and tenure here will a most pleasant and meaningful one.

I tend to change my avatar consistently as, I don't like staying with the same image for a long time even if said image is just one day, for I like being able to change when I feel like it with anything of a random nature.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 12:52 pm

kazanscube wrote:
komamanga wrote:
kazanscube wrote:

I tend to change my avatar consistently as, I don't like staying with the same image for a long time even if said image is just one day, for I like being able to change when I feel like it with anything of a random nature.

It's quite interesting. Do you constantly collect images for this purpose or are your avatars also random pictures you've just discovered?

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 1:02 pm

komamanga wrote:
kazanscube wrote:
komamanga wrote:
kazanscube wrote:

It's quite interesting. Do you constantly collect images for this purpose or are your avatars also random pictures you've just discovered?

I collect various images from off the net from movies,books, tv shows, etc

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 7:05 am

kazanscube wrote:
komamanga wrote:
kazanscube wrote:
komamanga wrote:
kazanscube wrote:

I can relate to this.

But don't you think it's also good to have an 'icon' that will point you out. Pictures are easier to remember than nicknames, or are they not?

Oh well... If I think about it, if you're well-known for changing your avatars all the time, in the end it means that you ARE well-known, for doing something unique. So i guess this doesn't necessarily apply to you :D

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 11:00 am

komamanga wrote:
kazanscube wrote:
komamanga wrote:
kazanscube wrote:
komamanga wrote:
kazanscube wrote:

I can relate to this.

But don't you think it's also good to have an 'icon' that will point you out. Pictures are easier to remember than nicknames, or are they not?

Oh well... If I think about it, if you're well-known for changing your avatars all the time, in the end it means that you ARE well-known, for doing something unique. So i guess this doesn't necessarily apply to you :D

Yes, I'm known for having a dynamic alterations of avatars.

ranthaman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2017, 6:11 pm

komamanga wrote:
Hello,

My favorite things are drawing, languages and computers, and i'm a straight-out-of college animator.

I like computers too.
My favorite things is computer science, cats, and chemestry!
Also I know a bit Arabic, and hopefully will be better because I intent on moving to Saudi

AspieQuiz: 139/200 ND, 53/200 NT
MBTI type: ISTJ

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 2:45 pm

ranthaman wrote:
I like computers too.
Also I know a bit Arabic, and hopefully will be better because I intent on moving to Saudi

That's nice, I adore cats!
I know a lot of words in Arabic as Turkish language is heavily influenced by Arabic vocabulary. But have no idea about the language itself. What interests you in Arabic? I find it irritating to the ear to be honest.

ranthaman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2017, 2:04 pm

komamanga wrote:
ranthaman wrote:
I like computers too.

That's nice, I adore cats!
I know a lot of words in Arabic as Turkish language is heavily influenced by Arabic vocabulary. But have no idea about the language itself. What interests you in Arabic? I find it irritating to the ear to be honest.

I have two cats and a wewbsite and app online business that specializes in only all cat themed products for both humans and cats! Needless to say I do adore cats too!
I don't know how similar turkish is with arabic, do they use the same characters that read the same with just different words?
اهلا و سهلا
كيف الحال؟
What is some turkish?
I know farsi is close alphebetically
I think Arabic is the most beautiful language, personally.
I'm certainly not so great with pronunciation and speech of it--I wish

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 2:34 pm

ranthaman wrote:
I have two cats and a wewbsite and app online business that specializes in only all cat themed products for both humans and cats! Needless to say I do adore cats too!
I don't know how similar turkish is with arabic, do they use the same characters that read the same with just different words?
اهلا و سهلا
كيف الحال؟
What is some turkish?

Wow wow. I have a cat and a dog right now but I had two cats back in Turkey. Now one of them lives with my sister and the other one in my father's hobby flat.

I would love to see your website and app (though if it's android I can't). Would you mind sharing it?

I don't know the Arabic alphabet. Turkish is written with Latin letters and the grammar is totally different. (For example Japanese has a really similar grammatical structure to Turkish.) Only there're just hundreds of words derived from Arabic. The Ottoman Turkish was heavily influenced by Arabic and actually it was like a mixture of Arabic and Turkish and they used the Arabic alphabet too, as it was considered more noble. But when the Turkish Republic was founded and the Ottoman empire perished, they changed the alphabet and cleaned the Arabic parts off the Turkish parts to remake the Turkish language. But there're still a lot of Arabic words in existence today that the Turkish use because some words just simply do not have a Turkish counterpart.

ranthaman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2017, 2:47 pm

komamanga wrote:
ranthaman wrote:
اهلا و سهلا
كيف الحال؟
What is some turkish?

Wow wow. I have a cat and a dog right now but I had two cats back in Turkey. Now one of them lives with my sister and the other one in my father's hobby flat.

I would love to see your website and app (though if it's android I can't). Would you mind sharing it?

I don't know the Arabic alphabet. Turkish is written with Latin letters and the grammar is totally different. (For example Japanese has a really similar grammatical structure to Turkish.) Only there're just hundreds of words derived from Arabic. The Ottoman Turkish was heavily influenced by Arabic and actually it was like a mixture of Arabic and Turkish and they used the Arabic alphabet too, as it was considered more noble. But when the Turkish Republic was founded and the Ottoman empire perished, they changed the alphabet and cleaned the Arabic parts off the Turkish parts to remake the Turkish language. But there're still a lot of Arabic words in existence today that the Turkish use because some words just simply do not have a Turkish counterpart.

I'm nervous to share it's name...
but it is available on apple store for iphone too
maybe if you sent me a message i could, because if I say it here and google knows then people would find me as a result here

Oh, I certainly didn't know that turkey uses latin letters. I was learning japanese before and found that so much easier than now learning arabic. Out of all the languages I've tried (spanish in school, japanese, ukranian, and arabic now) I always thought japanese to be easiest to comprehend. Arabic is certainly much different gramatically and phonetically!
I bet living in turkey was nice
I am planning to move to Saudi and there are soooo many stray feral cats there (which is a plus)!

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 3:18 pm

ranthaman wrote:
maybe if you sent me a message i could, because if I say it here and google knows then people would find me as a result here

Oh, I certainly didn't know that turkey uses latin letters. I was learning japanese before and found that so much easier than now learning arabic. Out of all the languages I've tried (spanish in school, japanese, ukranian, and arabic now) I always thought japanese to be easiest to comprehend. Arabic is certainly much different gramatically and phonetically!
I am planning to move to Saudi and there are soooo many stray feral cats there (which is a plus)!

I don't know why I was not thinking about iphones in my first message. I have a windows phone :D
I totally understand your concern, I will send you a message to ask :)

Japanese for me has also been the easiest one to learn but Turkish grammar is not as easy as Japanese grammar. Japanese looks like a really really simplified version of Turkish to me. I was taught by a private tutor and finished a, supposed to be, 2-year-long course in 4 months.

May I ask you what is your native language?

It's really interesting you're so into Arabic stuff. Can I ask you why exactly? Living in Turkey was hell for me so I imagine the other middle eastern countries like that too. I'm very glad that I can live in an introverted, calm country with less corruption now.

ranthaman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2017, 3:44 pm

komamanga wrote:
ranthaman wrote:

I don't know why I was not thinking about iphones in my first message. I have a windows phone :D
I totally understand your concern, I will send you a message to ask :)

Japanese for me has also been the easiest one to learn but Turkish grammar is not as easy as Japanese grammar. Japanese looks like a really really simplified version of Turkish to me. I was taught by a private tutor and finished a, supposed to be, 2-year-long course in 4 months.

May I ask you what is your native language?

It's really interesting you're so into Arabic stuff. Can I ask you why exactly? Living in Turkey was hell for me so I imagine the other middle eastern countries like that too. I'm very glad that I can live in an introverted, calm country with less corruption now.

Oh... what does windows phone use if not from google play store? I didn't even think there are phones that can't get apps from either one or the other, though I suppose my kindle phone can't get all apps

Wow that's impressive. I was only self-teaching most languages except spanish I took two years in school and arabic in college. I tutor would've been nice. I do like languages
I live in USA and speak English as my first language--but I know most english speakers as a second language make fun of me because they're better even

Sorry it wasn't a nice place for you to live. I don't know too much of Turkey but had heard about something of oppression/corruption there. In the US you here of oppression/corruption a lot (especially with Saudi) but maybe it's hard for me to take seriously. In US you can get discriminated though technically not leagally. I think saudi is likely much different than turkey though I also don't know much anything of chezk republic (that is where you are now?) but am glad you like where you reside now.
The place in saudi i would be at is very very warm, and now I live in a place that gets very cold. So I will like the warmpth!

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 12:39 pm

ranthaman wrote:
Oh... what does windows phone use if not from google play store? I didn't even think there are phones that can't get apps from either one or the other, though I suppose my kindle phone can't get all apps

Wow that's impressive. I was only self-teaching most languages except spanish I took two years in school and arabic in college. I tutor would've been nice. I do like languages
I live in USA and speak English as my first language--but I know most english speakers as a second language make fun of me because they're better even

Sorry it wasn't a nice place for you to live. I don't know too much of Turkey but had heard about something of oppression/corruption there. In the US you here of oppression/corruption a lot (especially with Saudi) but maybe it's hard for me to take seriously. In US you can get discriminated though technically not leagally. I think saudi is likely much different than turkey though I also don't know much anything of chezk republic (that is where you are now?) but am glad you like where you reside now.
The place in saudi i would be at is very very warm, and now I live in a place that gets very cold. So I will like the warmpth!

I think the store is called Windows Store. There isn't a great variety of applications for windows phones.

Do you speak Ukrainian now then? It probably has its similarities with Czech language as they're both Slavic.

I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to politics but when you're living in a corrupted environment, it does take its toll on you in a way or another. Likewise, I don't know much about Saudi Arabia, so maybe it's where your happiness lies, who knows for sure... I'm from a very warm climate so I can relate to your feelings about warmth as here in Czech Repub. they have sorrowful, freezing winters. But it makes the springs feel even better!

Oh and about the stray cats, it's true you will have an overload of cuteness but there is unfortunately a downside to it.