Nonbinary could soon be a legal gender option in California

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 12:23 pm

http://www.latimes.com/politics/essenti ... story.html

This is going in the right direction IMO. There is a small but growing more visible population of us who identify as neither male or female and for us to be legally recognised as nonbinary is a big step forward.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

woops
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jan 2017, 10:27 pm

I don't see the rationale - gender is not a social construct. What someone identifies as can hardly be taken as their gender, since gender is precisely binary. To add an 'option' to this is to change what gender means. LGBT activists seem to me to have gone off on a confused tangent.

sweetperfume
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2017, 1:12 am

woops wrote:
What someone identifies as can hardly be taken as their gender, since gender is precisely binary.

Even if we're using the word "gender" to mean only biological sex (chromosomes and reproductive organs and the like), you're still forgetting the estimated 1.7% of the population who are intersex. If nothing else, this change could benefit them.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2017, 10:25 am

This is definitely very good news. I know in Oregon they had something similar and I figured California would follow behind shortly (:

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2017, 12:39 pm

This becomes interesting, at least for me, since North Carolina said you can only use the bathroom indicated by your birth certificate.*

*Actually, it was already interesting, since many states merely require a note from your Doctor to change the sex on your birth certificate, and no surgical procedures. But this just adds one more layer to the cake.

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2017, 5:15 am

EclecticWarrior wrote:
http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-california-democrats-propose-adding-1485465341-htmlstory.html

This is going in the right direction IMO. There is a small but growing more visible population of us who identify as neither male or female and for us to be legally recognised as nonbinary is a big step forward.

Wondering if this will happen before or after WP allows this to be an option.

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2017, 5:24 am

BetwixtBetween wrote:
This becomes interesting, at least for me, since North Carolina said you can only use the bathroom indicated by your birth certificate.*

*Actually, it was already interesting, since many states merely require a note from your Doctor to change the sex on your birth certificate, and no surgical procedures. But this just adds one more layer to the cake.

The idea of such gender segregation is recent, Victorian. Prior to then such facilities were typically "unisex".
Nor is having "mens" and "womans" universal even now. At somewhere like KRDU it would apply only within the terminal buildings...

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2017, 5:29 am

mpe wrote:
Wondering if this will happen before or after WP allows this to be an option.

this site doesn't seem to be under active development anymore so, i wouldn't hold my breath there. :lol:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.