Page 16 of 19 [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2017, 5:27 pm

Reptile wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Reptile wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Off topic, but might I ask where in Germany you're from?

Off topic indeed and quite unexpected too!

Brandenburg [North East]; I’m living in the North West though.
I have family and ancestors in both the North West and the North East.

Is there any specific reason why you wanted to know that?

Both sides of my family are very German, even though both sides have been American for well over a hundred years. My dad's people were originally from the Kraichgau/Electoral Palatinate region (present day northwest Baden-Wurttemberg) before immigrating with thousands of others to the Black Sea region of Russia, then ultimately coming to America. My mom's parents were Prussians and Bavarians - yes, their in-laws hated each other. But anyway, I just have an interest in where my family had originated, so I thought I'd ask where specifically you were from.

That’s interesting. A good friend of mine is from a village in Baden-Württemberg. It is a beautiful state with great landscapes and a well functioning economy.

I had to smile at the Prussian and Bavarian part, it is a great combination. It didn’t really surprise me to read that their in-laws hated each other though.
When my family went to Bavaria for the holidays and they made a snowball fight in a little village, an old Bavarian lady in traditional clothes got mad and screamed:”You bloody Prussians, get the hell out of here!” and she meant it. She couldn’t stand us Prussians.
A few of the old generation still take that somewhat seriously I think. While the rivalry between what used to be Prussians and Bavarians is more or less joking material for the younger people but no one holds any grudge against each other, not that I know of at least.
I grew up with a lot of jokes about Bavarians and I learned their jokes about Prussians when I worked together with a Bavarian acquaintance. We used to make fun about each other’s heritage a lot and annoyed some other people by doing that.

I see; I can understand that for I’ve always been interested in my family’s history as well.

To Reptile: From what I gather there does seem to be a "Mason Dixon Line" in the German speaking world between the Prussian culture of the north, and the Catholic Bavarian and Austrian South. With jokes to go along with it. Jokes centered on how the southerners have a laid back joi d' vie, and the northerners are ram rod straight anal rentative martinets.

To Kraishgauer: Our family was poring over a language/ethnic map of Europe (the kind in which the Germanic languages are shades of red, the Slavic languages green, and the Romance languages are gray) we noticed bloodlike droplets of red labeled "German" at various points deep in Russia (like around the Black Sea, and even farther east into central Asia). We all wondered what that was about- these isolated enclaves of Germans deep in Russia. Never thought I would actually meet someone (even in cyberspace) who has a background coming from one of those isolated little beads of red on the map of Russia. Lol!

My own mostly German background American family comes from Hesse, and from Alsace-Lorraine ( the German speaking region that keeps changing hands between Germany and France that since the last war as been part of France).

Germans are the second largest ethnic group in America after the English. But we have only had two German American presidents. The first was Eisenhower, the second was a guy descended from an immigrant named "Drumpf".

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2017, 6:25 pm

Reptile wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Reptile wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Both sides of my family are very German, even though both sides have been American for well over a hundred years. My dad's people were originally from the Kraichgau/Electoral Palatinate region (present day northwest Baden-Wurttemberg) before immigrating with thousands of others to the Black Sea region of Russia, then ultimately coming to America. My mom's parents were Prussians and Bavarians - yes, their in-laws hated each other. But anyway, I just have an interest in where my family had originated, so I thought I'd ask where specifically you were from.

That’s interesting. A good friend of mine is from a village in Baden-Württemberg. It is a beautiful state with great landscapes and a well functioning economy.

I had to smile at the Prussian and Bavarian part, it is a great combination. It didn’t really surprise me to read that their in-laws hated each other though.
When my family went to Bavaria for the holidays and they made a snowball fight in a little village, an old Bavarian lady in traditional clothes got mad and screamed:”You bloody Prussians, get the hell out of here!” and she meant it. She couldn’t stand us Prussians.
A few of the old generation still take that somewhat seriously I think. While the rivalry between what used to be Prussians and Bavarians is more or less joking material for the younger people but no one holds any grudge against each other, not that I know of at least.
I grew up with a lot of jokes about Bavarians and I learned their jokes about Prussians when I worked together with a Bavarian acquaintance. We used to make fun about each other’s heritage a lot and annoyed some other people by doing that.

I see; I can understand that for I’ve always been interested in my family’s history as well.

Actually, the hate was more from my maternal grandfather's Bavarian family. His mother would complain how that Prussian girl was going to turn her boy into a Lutheran. Actually, my grandfather was irreligious his whole life, but he allowed his kids to be raised Lutherans by my grandmother.

Reptile
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Feb 2017, 6:09 am

naturalplastic wrote:

To Reptile: From what I gather there does seem to be a "Mason Dixon Line" in the German speaking world between the Prussian culture of the north, and the Catholic Bavarian and Austrian South. With jokes to go along with it. Jokes centered on how the southerners have a laid back joi d' vie, and the northerners are ram rod straight anal rentative martinets.

That summarises it quite well.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Reptile wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Reptile wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Actually, the hate was more from my maternal grandfather's Bavarian family. His mother would complain how that Prussian girl was going to turn her boy into a Lutheran. Actually, my grandfather was irreligious his whole life, but he allowed his kids to be raised Lutherans by my grandmother.

Religion was never a real issue in my family. Most of us aren’t religious anyway.
My grandparents on my father’s side were the only ones who took their Lutheran religion seriously so they once ranted about how disappointed they were about me being an Atheist who refused the confirmation but that was it.
My grandpa on my mother’s side however is an Antitheist who despises all - especially the monotheistic - religions. Therefore my grandmother didn’t care about religion either and their children weren’t brought up religious.
Both sides of my family tolerated each other and never discussed any serious matters together.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 11:58 am

Reptile wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:
Reptile wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Reptile wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Religion was never a real issue in my family. Most of us aren’t religious anyway.
My grandparents on my father’s side were the only ones who took their Lutheran religion seriously so they once ranted about how disappointed they were about me being an Atheist who refused the confirmation but that was it.
My grandpa on my mother’s side however is an Antitheist who despises all - especially the monotheistic - religions. Therefore my grandmother didn’t care about religion either and their children weren’t brought up religious.
Both sides of my family tolerated each other and never discussed any serious matters together.

I think only fundamentalist types try to shove their religion down your throat these days.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 12:42 pm

Some of my family was of German descent.Some settled in the Arkansas Grand Prairie to farm.The largest town is Stuttgart,not pronounced like it should be in German.They seemed to have a prejudice towards another settlement of immigrant.The "Slovaks",they seemed to think less of them.Like it would be OK to hire them to do work but you would never invite one to dinner.They referred to where the Slovaks lived as "Slovaktown".
Most of my ancestors in Germany hail from Bavaria and the Palatine region.
The Germans and Scotch-Irish seemed to migrate together,at least in the mountainous areas.Supposedly the Germans didn't care much for the Scotch-Irish but they were good to have as neighbor's since they were more likely to go out and rid the area of hostile Natives.Some of the railroads in the Ozarks were built by Germans.My great-granddaddy ran the general store and kept accounts of the railroad workers purchases.A cousin actually has this book and its full of German names.Its interesting becuse most people think of the railroads as all being built by the later Irish immigrants on the east coast and the Chinese on the west coast.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 2:06 pm

No Bill. America was based on genocide and slavery.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 2:11 pm

JohnPowell wrote:

Most civilizations were.The Romans were not light handed.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 4:56 pm

based on the George Formby song

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 7:20 pm

JohnPowell wrote:

Slavery and genocide were the past sins of America that we are still trying to atone for. Because our country is based on the ideals of liberty and equality, we are able to face those original sins head on, and try to rectify them.

Reptile
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Feb 2017, 7:18 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Reptile wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:
Reptile wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Reptile wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I think only fundamentalist types try to shove their religion down your throat these days.

Ja. We don’t have a problem with religious fundamentalism among the German people though.
It’s Islam and fundamentalist, violent Muslims our nation has an enormous problem with and who cause a threat to our society. But that’s no news to anyone anymore.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2017, 3:29 pm

Reptile wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Reptile wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:
Reptile wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Reptile wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Ja. We don’t have a problem with religious fundamentalism among the German people though.
It’s Islam and fundamentalist, violent Muslims our nation has an enormous problem with and who cause a threat to our society. But that’s no news to anyone anymore.

Here in America, Muslims are a tiny minority who have had few problems with assimilation, and mostly keep their religion to themselves. It's the Baptist and Pentecostal fundies who try making life miserable for the rest of us by shoving their anti-science agenda, anti-gay agenda, etc, down our throats. And unfortunately, they've made efforts to take control of school boards, and gain elected office to accomplish it.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2017, 8:58 pm

Reptile wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Reptile wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:
Reptile wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Reptile wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Does Germany have Ghettos with refugees?

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2017, 10:53 pm

lidsmichelle wrote:
Sigbold wrote:
Then why participate in political discussions?

Because I understand the actual concepts being discussed. What I don't have knowledge of is how to actually do the governmental bits. What else can I say other than "draft a bill that at least makes it harder for corporations take advantage of poor immigrants"?

To clarify, I was not asking you to propose a bill. But how do you think immigration should like so that big business. can not use it create a downward pressure on wages and secondary working conditions. Or as you state it, not take advantage of immigrants. However you seem to get no further then stating that they should not be taken advantage of, even though it would imply that you can name practices that you want to see ended or reforms you want to see.

Do you think that, for example, demonstrators who demand certain reforms all know how to write bills.

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 2:26 am

Sigbold wrote:
lidsmichelle wrote:
Sigbold wrote:

Because I understand the actual concepts being discussed. What I don't have knowledge of is how to actually do the governmental bits. What else can I say other than "draft a bill that at least makes it harder for corporations take advantage of poor immigrants"?

To clarify, I was not asking you to propose a bill. But how do you think immigration should like so that big business. can not use it create a downward pressure on wages and secondary working conditions. Or as you state it, not take advantage of immigrants. However you seem to get no further then stating that they should not be taken advantage of, even though it would imply that you can name practices that you want to see ended or reforms you want to see.

Do you think that, for example, demonstrators who demand certain reforms all know how to write bills.

I honestly don't understand what you mean? Defending human rights does not imply you know how to fix things on a level like that. 99.9% of the population does not. Not speaking on issues like this because of that would be stupid. The point of speaking on these issues is to get enough of a stink up that people who can fix these issues are forced to address them and potentially fix it.

And no, again because we aren't educated on that stuff in the US unless you go out of your way to take college courses on that stuff. We learn basic government in high school but that's about it. College is expensive here as I'm sure you know, so taking extra classes unrelated to your major is unlikely. I'm not taking government classes ever once I start. I'm planning on majoring in either physical therapy or going into agricultural science. Neither of which will have government classes needed. I'd rather use my elective credits on either relevant classes or ones I would get personal use out of, like metal working.

So honestly I don't know where you're coming from.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 5:40 am

lidsmichelle wrote:
Sigbold wrote:
lidsmichelle wrote:
Sigbold wrote:

I honestly don't understand what you mean? Defending human rights does not imply you know how to fix things on a level like that. 99.9% of the population does not. Not speaking on issues like this because of that would be stupid. The point of speaking on these issues is to get enough of a stink up that people who can fix these issues are forced to address them and potentially fix it.

And no, again because we aren't educated on that stuff in the US unless you go out of your way to take college courses on that stuff. We learn basic government in high school but that's about it. College is expensive here as I'm sure you know, so taking extra classes unrelated to your major is unlikely. I'm not taking government classes ever once I start. I'm planning on majoring in either physical therapy or going into agricultural science. Neither of which will have government classes needed. I'd rather use my elective credits on either relevant classes or ones I would get personal use out of, like metal working.

So honestly I don't know where you're coming from.

I would disagree. If you minus the jargon etc. reading a bill and understanding issue is not actually that hard. But the thing is we got to look more into depth with these issues to further understand not just accept that we will be ignorant.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 2:01 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

Slavery and genocide were the past sins of America that we are still trying to atone for. Because our country is based on the ideals of liberty and equality, we are able to face those original sins head on, and try to rectify them.

Atoning for by destroying numerous countries across the world, some in Africa? Please cut the crap.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"