debilitating sensitivity to smells- even good ones

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

pasty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Feb 2017, 4:50 pm

It's so hard for me to go places because of my sensitivity to scents. I tried to go to the fitness center at my university because it's inexpensive for students and because I needed to rehabilitate my broken knee. Besides the loud (to me) music, the bright (to me) lights, and the uncomfortably large (to me) crowd, which I would expect, I found the smell intolerable. The place is very clean, but there is a Lysol smell and deodorants and laundry detergent smell. I would rather smell armpits and feet. Every time I go, I get a migraine. The women's restroom was horrible too, because there are showers, and women use a bunch of fragranced crap in there. Even having someone with fresh deodorant on walk past me gives me a nasal headache. Does anyone else experience this? I found this article on smell sensitivities, and it states that around 1/3 of the U.S. population has this problem, though I suspect it's not as severe as mine. I haven't been to the fitness center in several months, and I really need to go. I wish there was an autistic gym somewhere.

http://www.drsteinemann.com/Articles/Ca ... 202009.pdf

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 7:56 pm

42,484 steps today.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 11:52 pm

Is hard yes that I cant tolerate strong smells, good or bad, i feel the same way - sick, weak, near throwing up to most things I need to do like going to and cleaning a toilet, raw ingredients of food, the noise of cleaning and more. Still grateful that I have somebody to do most of this and just grin and bare it for things that must be done for medical reasons.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135