Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2017, 5:10 pm

Am I the only who thinks resident evil 7 was a far less enjoyable gaming experience compared to resident evil 4?

Don't get me wrong Resident evil 7 was a decent game but I certainly would not be enthusiastic about playing the main game again after completing it earlier tonight. Heck even resident evil 6 had more enjoyable moments compared to 7.

For the record I have never been a fan of first person style gameplay.

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 4:56 pm

I personally haven't played it yet. It feels like they just grabbed recent horror game ideas and threw it together and called it Resident Evil 7... :roll: I might get it when it's like 20-30.

I loved Resident Evil 0 through 4, Code Veronica and Revelations 2. I really wish Capcom could make Resident Evil good again.. but I'm very doubtful about it. They are trying too hard to cater to modern gamers with crap they threw into 6 and 7.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 6:48 pm

meh

Only Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil 4 are worth anything to me :roll:

But thats my opinion, I know many people like the first three.

noumenon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Feb 2017, 8:00 pm

I could never get in to the old Resident Evil games but I like 7. I know some people that like the old ones but they still think 7 was the best. I guess it depends on the person. What is it about 7 that you guys don't like? My only complaint is that I am close to being done and it doesn't feel like I have done a whole lot, game feels rather short.

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Feb 2017, 3:00 pm

This game was the first game to really ire me since Final Fantasy XIII. If that doesn't say all that you need to know, then this quick review I wrote certainly will:

Quote:
Today I'm going to be looking in depth at Resident Evil 7, a game which I played through and completed albeit not in VR -- which I'll remind you is currently exclusive to PS4, but that's okay because if you own a VR headset you're probably either a game reviewer or a Youtube celebrity.

Reviews have generally been very positive, but being a professional reviewer is now anything but a sign of intelligence and being awarded the title of professional game critic should carry the same stigma as the Mark of Cain.

Let's start this from the beginning.

Our protagonist, Ethan Mars, journeys to a guest house on the Baker estate in the Bayou at the behest of his sort-of annoying, sort-of charming, possibly dead girlfriend, Mia. Predictably, after finding video evidence of murder and swimming past a corpse, Ethan is captured by the Baker family.

Alright, so you shuffle your way through the Baker estate in a linear pattern. There is very little substantial backtracking; you simply move through a series of hallways and rooms, either shooting monsters or avoiding them, respectively.

Each of the three main buildings in the Baker estate feels to be the same size as one floor of one wing of the Spencer Mansion. I have no problem with the short length of the game (6.5 hours on my first play), but its design took no advantage of the possibilities of using one large interconnected environment. Instead, they resort to a lazy trick, designing areas in short loops, allowing you the occasional option of travelling to your destination through either a hallway or a room.

Each of these buildings contains one exit to the courtyard, and one of them links to a smaller building. The level design is objectively less complex than the original Resident Evil and gives you very few options and only one possible objective at any time. Oh, and enemy spawns are refreshed every ten minutes or so anyway, when a story event happens. Ammo is plentiful; in my first playthrough I didn't run out or feel particularly strained at any point.

You know what? This isn't the spiritual successor to the classic Resident Evil formula that reviewers are making it out to be; in fact, it jettisons the survival aspect and plays more like Resident Evil 4 without the depth or variation of that game. Let's take the comparison further: this is a rubbish knockoff of Resident Evil: Revelations, itself a low-rate derivative of the Resident Evil 4 formula. These two games have the same director: Koshi Nakanishi, whose only other billing as director was for... Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D? I don't know. But, well, the monsters in Revelations are almost the same as those in Resident Evil 7, except they were white goop rather than black goop.

One particular point that drives the comparison to the Resident Evil 4 formula is the enemy reactions to being shot. Headshots generally cause enemies to stagger, and limb shots can dismember enemies. In Resident Evil 4, this would perhaps work. Unfortunately, in a game short on fights against multiple enemies, environmental props or even the most basic of environmental variation, things that RE4 was heavy on, it's too simple to stand as an action game.

Oh, and I can't finish this section without pointing out something that I can't BELIEVE is in the game. Not only can normal enemies not pass through doors, but they will actually despawn if you simply back out of the room and close the door, often permanently. Half of the time they even despawn the moment you're on the other side of the doorframe! This is bad enough on normal difficulty, but in madhouse mode, this is the optimal tactic for dealing with monsters. I'd like to reiterate that I am NOT JOKING. Even if they don't always despawn permanently, monsters will take long enough to goop into existence that you can easily pass them and close a door behind yourself before they have a chance to attack.

So what is this? If it's not a survival game or an action game, then it's surely a horror game. That's an awfully nebulous descriptor though, isn't it? Horror isn't a genre of game, it's a style of presentation. I didn't find this game scary, especially when compared to the masterful Alien Isolation - a game which outclasses this drivel with panache - but the horror qualities of the game are more subjective than the mechanics. I can't deny that this game, as an overall experience, would be more meaningful if played in VR, but that's neither here nor there.

Why am I making this my first review? In short, mainstream critical reviews of this thing have been misleading. Reviewers, caught up either in hype or favours, gush over the game while failing to describe the actual mechanics in any detail. They froth with adjectives while describing superficial trappings, over and over and over, the vagueness feeding the hype and expectations of the gullible consumer. Regardless of their individual intentions, these are representatives of the industry, not serious critics.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 2:04 am

I don't consider resident evil 5 or 6 part of the same series, 7 I guess I can accept with a nod of the head rather than a shake of the hand, it was interesting and seems carved in a little of the same sprightly spirit that the earlier games contain. Four is a damn good game, but I am forever torn as to how to throw it in the RE jigsaw, I can't explain why it retains the essential atmosphere of a classic resident evil crusade yet is a radical fork in the road... 5 just did not continue the noble and bold work began there, it's more of a big budget, empty headed arcade dabble, 6 is an abomination, it makes me sick even thinking about it, I rolled my eyes every two minutes. This game actually attempts to be disturbing and claustrophobic whilst including elements of 4 and 5 which worked well, I appreciate the ambition up until that damn useless boat section, it got tedious at that point.

Dougyhowzer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Feb 2017, 11:48 am

I am currently playing RE7 and so far I like it . I haven't played all the resident evil games .

1-4 and 4 is my favourite so far . That being said , I like the fact that they returned to some of the roots in biohazard . The puzzles and lack of resources forces you to improvise .

Also find RE7 really scary , and it reminds me of that first zombie cutscene you see in Resident evil 1 before Barry delivers justice .

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 1:21 pm

I am not a fan of first person style gaming

My brother did say though in regards to resident evil 7 that you have to play in VR mode to appreciate the horror experience properly

Foxprospeak
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Mar 2017, 5:26 pm

I quite like RE7.

Although to preface, I think you must play the game first on Normal mode, or if you're brave, Madhouse.

Normal mode to me is good in that you have to plan for each enemy since they're tough.

Seeing one of the bosses rushing at you with a crazed look on their face is terrifying.
They also try to flank you, so you're constantly on your toes.

I don't think enough is said about how the enemies move. They are not the slow, dumb shuffling corpses like in previous games.
Even the molded monsters will try to outmaneuver you.

RE7 is also the first game in the series which made me feel quite sad for the characters.
No longer were they just flat, one dimensional stereotypical characters but fleshed out.

Overall I'm quite impressed with what Capcom has done with RE7.

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2017, 9:43 pm

It was not the best Resident Evil but I liked the first person view and the attempt to not be a stereotypical zombie game.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 3:07 am

The was a good video by Youtuber Night Mind which gives a good analysis of the game. I have not technically watched the entire video because I have not finished the game and did not want to get spoiled by the bits that I have not played yet, but I watched a good majority and I think that it points out some good things.

In particular he talks about how the opening section is perfect for setting up and betraying expectations.