Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

accountinglad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2017, 6:43 am

been looking online and still no clear answer it seems RAM is the least understood component in a pc . If i use a 16gb and 8gb ram sticks both are the same brand (crucial and 2133mhz) i got the extra 8gb from a friend . will this slow down my system ?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 6:53 am

Possibly. In older systems you had to use identical ram sticks in each slot to get proper dual channel support, but in a modern DDR4 system, it would more than likely run in dual channel asymmetric mode. Symmetric dual channel is theoretically better, but asymmetric dual channel is better than single channel, which you'd get if you were running only one stick of RAM.

Dave_T
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Feb 2017, 6:54 am

Ram is where software stores data on the fly, unless you got a lot of programs running at once, or playing the latest games you wont notice a big difference (16gig is alot), but saying that more is always better.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 144 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 66 of 200

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 9:20 pm

Most people get by just fine with 8GB nowadays, but I recommend installing 16GB in case programs start getting more bloated. Of course, if you're only running one stick of RAM, I definitely recommend installing another just so you aren't running single channel.