Russian psyops on US discussion boards and WP

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 6:58 am

We've read that US intelligence has alleged Russian operatives have engaged in coordinated trolling on discussion boards in Western democracies. Has that investigation touched sites that are on this scale? Has there been any internal investigation into the possibility that they have posted here?

It seems a bit far-fetched, but on the other hand, it's not a statistical impossibility. I was just wondering if better-informed people could reassure us that our boards are safe from organized external interference.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 11:30 pm

not sure what they have to gain from this site that can't be easily obtained from other, larger sites.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 3:56 am

some prop posters to color the day ?

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 4:06 am

I am worried as much about FSB-psyops on this forum as I am worried about CIA one's. And my advise would be to respond to their post in the same you would respond to posts of any other poster. If any of such operators might be posting here.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 4:15 am

Any Psy-Ops that are on U.S. Boards or W-P are always originating out of the U.S.
There are hardly any Russians on these boards to begin with (even if any at all).

Channel Description wrote:
Report proves that the shills we encounter everyday on the internet are paid by the government, US gov admits it. This program has been going on for years by the pentagon to deflect 9/11 truth.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 8:02 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
not sure what they have to gain from this site that can't be easily obtained from other, larger sites.

I can think of a couple of ways, but none of them are statistically likely, imo.

It boils down to my theory of self-defense, which I cribbed from somewhere. People tend to plan for what the expect an adversary to do, but the better strategy is to plan for what an adversary is capable of doing.

I'm an econ guy, so obviously, I only expend effort on it until I balance out the opportunity costs. Breaking the seal and bringing the idea to people's attention is free.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2017, 6:18 pm

traven wrote:

This is the best thing I have seen all day :mrgreen:

Also damn Russians hacking into everything, they hacked my fridge the other day and stole a sandwich from it :skull:

Last edited by dcj123 on 07 Feb 2017, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2017, 6:27 pm

> Russian Psyops On US Discussion Boards And WP

I can say with certainty that there are no Russian psyops agents here on WP. Every one of us is North Korean.

There Are Four Lights!

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2017, 6:39 pm

>Trying to green text on WP
>Fails

Yeah I don't think North Koreans are going to get far with coding :mrgreen:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2017, 5:46 am

When I make a post I know that anyone in the world can read it. Any psychopath, any spy, anybody. And I couldn't care less.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2017, 7:52 pm

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2017, 5:02 pm

The answer is nyet. :)

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 12:35 pm

This post may have unintentionally given some folks an inflated sense of importance. It's kind of funny. Even the Apple Dumpling Gang gets the job done, though, so don't go too far in the other direction and start wondering if I don't care about you at all.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 12:43 pm

As an ex government guy (IT-Forensics guy for the military) who actually have seen lots of this stuff on the internet, i can say with 100% conviction that no nation state have any interest in subverting, manipulating or even talking to someone on a forum like WP.

If you think that "they" are here and are after you, you either have done something really bad or you seriously need to talk to your doctor about getting some new meds.