Do you like video games?
Yes 81%  81%  [ 13 ]
No 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 16

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 7:06 pm

Do you like video games? Do not move this to the video game forum. Everyone there is going to say they do.

Last edited by NewTime on 03 Feb 2017, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 7:07 pm

Yes is too much of an understatement. I've been playing them since I was quite literally in nappies.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 10:26 pm

I used to hate video games. I was always too slow and clumsy with the controller. But then an online friend talked me into playing Lord of the Rings Online and I have played it daily since then. It's easygoing and can be played at a slow pace.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 10:39 pm

I do. I play a huge variety of video games.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 10:51 pm

No.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 11:11 pm

I have played less this last month but I am going to get back into it.

Yes I love games,

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 8:53 am

Yes very much and I play a word game online on Xbox, Wordament. It's fun and you see your score compared to others and can even choose "frenemies." 8). As a teen liked pac man, Space invaders, And Donkey king. Tried newer video games and was not great at flying the helicopter and really dislike violence in the newer games. Prefer Donkey King or more peaceful games.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 11:16 am

Yes, but only certain ones [Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Rune Factory, Super Smash Bros., Radiant Historia, Super Metroid...]

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Mar 2017, 10:38 pm

I loved them as a kid & teen but I haven't been into em as much sense I got a computer & net after I graduated high-school. I lost interests in em for years partly cuz of depression & I got into em again some after things got better but not into em as much as I used to be.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 12:41 am

No. And I have a great deal of difficulty understanding why anyone does. Really - I've actually read psychological studies on this because I just can't understand the appeal. I gave up looking into it when one study claimed people use it to get a feeling of accomplishment, like they have accomplished something in their lives because they got to a certain "level" or whatever. It was too depressing from there on out.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 11:56 pm

C2V wrote:
No. And I have a great deal of difficulty understanding why anyone does. Really - I've actually read psychological studies on this because I just can't understand the appeal. I gave up looking into it when one study claimed people use it to get a feeling of accomplishment, like they have accomplished something in their lives because they got to a certain "level" or whatever. It was too depressing from there on out.

It's the same as the reasons for any hobby, really. Which is to say, it varies wildly.

In my case, it provides the challenge, excitement, and general entertainment I need. It also gives me stuff that makes me actually have to think (watching TV and such never would) which is very important to me, and it lets me constantly work on things like mental processing speed (which at this point i'm *really* good at) and general reasoning. My coordination is also fantastic as a result.

Note though, I'm not playing the braindead shooters you see on TV all the time... there's SO much more to it than that. But some of the "big" games out there (even if they're not actually bad, as some are quite good) can give non-gamers a really bad impression of what it really is as a whole. People look at stuff like Call of Duty and think that there's nothing else, it's all just that, which is the opposite of true.

It's also led to some BIG changes in my life, most of which have been positive. It's amazing, really, what something that some people consider so "unimportant" can do and cause for someone. Often in ways they never expected. I sense that quite a number of hobbies are like that as well, though it depends on the individual person. In my case, well... experiences such as my first (and not last) time flying across the country on my own (and travelling on my own in general, usually by car, which I now do often, when years ago I thought I'd NEVER be able to handle that), or the development work that I now do (which actually is a *very* direct result of my skill in a certain type of game), among other things. I've had alot of interesting and unique (and weird) experiences at this point... but none of them would have happened without this. Not to mention there are numerous friends that I would never have met.

I can tell you one thing though, there's no point in reading or watching studies about this sort of thing, which is probably something that can be said about any hobby or major interest. I've seen stuff like that, and I facepalm every time. Only someone who is truly into it (whatever "it" is at the time) can REALLY give you an explanation of it at all, and it's going to be different things to different people. Really, I dont know why they even DO studies on this sort of thing. It's impossible to fully quantify.

Also, as for the topic's question: I think the answer here, for me, is as obvious as the answer to "do rocks obey gravity?"

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 5:52 pm

No, but my girlfriend and I loved playing the Oregon Trail computer game when we were kids attending the same grade school together.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 10:35 am

I like video games and I am very into the games I like, but I'm also very particular.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 1:05 pm

^Me, too. 8)

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII