Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 8:44 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_o ... oned_Arrow

I think this is an interesting philosophy. The basic gist of it is that life's too short to mull over metaphysical quandaries, and that one should focus on things that are of immediate importance.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 9:27 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_Poisoned_Arrow

I think this is an interesting philosophy. The basic gist of it is that life's too short to mull over metaphysical quandaries, and that one should focus on things that are of immediate importance.

I think a more appropriate interpretation of this is something akin to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. It's not that one shouldn't mull over metaphysical quandaries, so much as one should manage one's time more effectively and prioritise basic needs over self-actualisation, rather than eliminate it entirely.

But then, I've always been prone to introspection and believe it's been an essential part of overcoming some of the limitations I was born into. Without such rumination, I'd likely perceive my Asperger's in a purely negative light.

Is it possible he was teaching the lesson his disciples required, rather than a universal truth?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 10:50 pm

adifferentname wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_Poisoned_Arrow

I think a more appropriate interpretation of this is something akin to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. It's not that one shouldn't mull over metaphysical quandaries, so much as one should manage one's time more effectively and prioritise basic needs over self-actualisation, rather than eliminate it entirely.

But then, I've always been prone to introspection and believe it's been an essential part of overcoming some of the limitations I was born into. Without such rumination, I'd likely perceive my Asperger's in a purely negative light.

Is it possible he was teaching the lesson his disciples required, rather than a universal truth?

For myself, I feel this is an important lesson, because I tend to get so wrapped up in my thoughts and anxieties that it distracts me from things that are really important, things like eating, sleeping, and taking care of myself. In an odd sort of way, it almost seems it's easier for me to keep myself distracted with my thoughts than it is to take action on my needs.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 11:53 pm

I was typing a response, but after reviewing what I'd written it came across as incoherent word salad, which is a firm indication that I need to fulfil one of those needs fairly soon myself.

Hopefully someone else will weigh in and provide new inspiration on the morrow.