The Competition Mentality: Completely Incompatible With ASD?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 5:18 am

I was recently reading through the following article because of my annoyance with competition-mentalities...

http://www.alfiekohn.org/article/case-competition/

...because the people in life whom I have come across with the «everyone else is competition» mentality, authoritarians, etc., all tend to adhere to their adversarial-beliefs like some sort of damn cult-religion. Then I was like, you know, this article makes a hell of a lot of good points, and may be why much of this world is so incompatible with ASD.

Think about it. Suppose we are on an island (technically we are; the Earth; although it's called a world rather than an island). Actually, more specifically, suppose two people are on an island. A fruit-tree is the only source of food for survival. The competition-mentality person considers «winning against the other guy» for purposes of gaining control over the tree in order to ensure his survival (that of the competition-mentality person).

The the solutions-mentality person considers «co-operating with the other guy» for purposes of getting more trees to grow from the seeds of the fruits of the tree and/or finding/developing extra/additional sources of food, perhaps from capturing fish, for purposes of creating the resources/abundance in order for both people to survive.

You see, this world we live in is so ass-back-wards, especially with the fraudulent corporate-governmental-systems, that society has been in decline and continues to go into decline ever since decades ago. What we essentially have in society is mostly a «competition» mentality world where the «elitists/globalists/etc» are all controlled by people in the «positions-of-power» with such competition-oriented mentality. I consider it to be real madness !

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 11:12 am

it is obvious that we only survived as a species because of our ability to work together, especially against a common problem or enemy; the downside of this is when we turn that on each other.

i believe it happened as a result of us diversifying into different environments, so that we could no longer see the similarity enough to count them as the same.

now we stage this deep compulsion as a game, with sometimes lethal stakes. but we don't even realize it's a game and that there are other kinds of games in which everyone wins.

reasoning." --William Blake

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 11:25 am

Nope....I don't find this to be true at all.

Just look in PPR. Egos ablaze.

It shows we're human, too!

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 6:59 pm

I heard that competitive behavior and targeting others can be bad for your health.

I'm kind of competitive with myself because I try to the best I can, but I don't act malicious towards other people or anything like that.

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2017, 8:05 pm

One only need to go for a job interview to see that we are actually in competition with each other.

Ban-Dodger wrote:
Think about it. Suppose we are on an island (technically we are; the Earth; although it's called a world rather than an island). Actually, more specifically, suppose two people are on an island. A fruit-tree is the only source of food for survival. The competition-mentality person considers «winning against the other guy» for purposes of gaining control over the tree in order to ensure his survival (that of the competition-mentality person).

The the solutions-mentality person considers «co-operating with the other guy» for purposes of getting more trees to grow from the seeds of the fruits of the tree and/or finding/developing extra/additional sources of food, perhaps from capturing fish, for purposes of creating the resources/abundance in order for both people to survive.
I'd fashion a branch into a spear and kill the guy. I'd preserve his meat, and make good use of all other parts.

The issue can be looked at in two ways. One less mouth to feed = less resources required in the first place.

I wouldn't be looking to 'gain control' over the tree. I'd kill him simply to assure a greater likelihood of my own survival through a greater abundance of resources (given the slow growth rate of trees, all my attention could be focused on gathering/fishing etc)

To me it's basic maths.