Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2017, 6:56 pm

I have struggled with obsessive thoughts for a long time. They have been intrusive, analytical, and distressing. My mind keeps having to think about and analyze certain things over and over. Medication helps alleviate these thoughts somewhat, but I still struggle with over thinking and analyzing things. My mind can't rest unless something is perfect. These obsessive thoughts have led to anxiety and depression. They also prevent from accomplishing certain tasks. I feel like all these obsessive thoughts that I have had over the years have wasted a lot of my life. I wish I could just go one day without thinking and analyzing things.

D6515
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Feb 2017, 11:04 pm

Hey - not sure whether you'll see this reply (being as it's a while since you posted), but I can really relate to what you've posted about obsessive thinking. I've struggled with obsessive/intrusive thoughts for many years (since childhood, really), often taking the form of very vivid imagery. Similarly, I share your difficulty with over-analysing things - particularly as regards social situations, which I can spend hours 'unpicking' in my head afterwards to try and reassure myself I haven't done anything wrong. A few years ago, I was diagnosed with OCD - reading about the experiences others have had with 'Pure O' has helped me to better understand these difficulties, but I've still got a way to go before I can tackle them.

I'm really sorry to hear you're experiencing this, as I know from experience how difficult it can be. I don't know if this is something you'd identify with personally, but I've found it's something I struggle to open up about to others, for fear of being taken as 'too intense' or 'crazy'. :oops:

What, if anything, have you found helpful in trying to deal with obsessive thoughts?

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2017, 4:28 am

I hear you. I thinks it´s common to have this thoughts, over and over again. I also have this and always had. I think our brain always looking for complicate things and that´s why we are not letting anything go.

Bubblehead76
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Mar 2017, 10:34 am

Hi,

Are your obsessions violent or disturbing in nature? Do you have paranoia with it? I am asking because I do have disturbing thoughts at times, but they seem like they are pushed in from an outside force. I perform hand gestures, pray, or repeat phrases to make it go away. I also perform things in threes all day. I understand what you are going through. I was on medication and decided to get off of it because I felt like a zombie. I do not think it can ever go away, but I think we can manage it by talking about it with like people. Do you have intense meltdowns?