Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

jordmt
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Feb 2017, 7:42 pm

So for the last few years my life has been pretty gloomy, I honestly feel like sometimes I can't cope anymore and I want to just give in, I don't know what to do.

People say to go to the doctor but I don't want to go on medication... I want to overcome this in a way that doesn't require meds.

Everywhere I look it seems like everyone is living life and I'm just stuck, day after day, doing the same things over and over, people walk all over me and I do have like one or two friends but I still feel alone constantly even when I'm hanging out with them.

Phobic Flower
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2017, 2:36 pm

If you don't want medication in terms of a prescribed drug, there are options. before trying any of my suggestions, i really encourage you talk to a doctor about these things, along with talking to your family.

i would suggest looking into these dietary supplements for depression:

- St. Johns Wart for Antidepressant
- Thorne Research; Deproloft `( this is the one my brother is taking once daily - he has autism as well.)

There are more options, in terms of natural supplements, and i encourage you to research this further. hope this helps a little. =)

idonthaveanickname
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Feb 2017, 2:14 pm

jordmt wrote:
So for the last few years my life has been pretty gloomy, I honestly feel like sometimes I can't cope anymore and I want to just give in, I don't know what to do.

People say to go to the doctor but I don't want to go on medication... I want to overcome this in a way that doesn't require meds.

Everywhere I look it seems like everyone is living life and I'm just stuck, day after day, doing the same things over and over, people walk all over me and I do have like one or two friends but I still feel alone constantly even when I'm hanging out with them.

I can understand why you don't want to take meds, but if nothing else is helping you, then I think antidepressants are your only option right now. Also, I can relate to people walking all over you. I've been letting people do that to me all my life and I'm sick and tired of it! I'm trying now to speak up for myself more and not let people (my family in particular) treat me like a doormat. So if you still want to try to overcome your depression without the use of meds, then I wish you the best of luck.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2017, 2:27 pm

The only person who can help you with this is you so you have to try and force yourself out of it despite it being ridiculously hard to do. Go and get some help and stop sitting about cause that'll just make you worse off. If you don't want to take meds then that's fine, I've seen people go from borderline suicidal to getting married with kids while not taking anything so it is definitely possible.

Since you're from Wolverhampton I would recommend seeing your GP, TELL them that you don't want to go on medication and be very clear and firm about that, then they will refer you to your nearest hospital for appointments to go and see a therapist, there are a lot of options you can discuss with them further.

It's understandable if you don't want to go the medical route though, the only other route is the super healthy route and while it definitely works for some it sort of makes others worse off, you just need to see what works for you but don't sit around and do nothing because you'll just sink even more. PM me if you'd like a proper chat.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2017, 4:32 pm

The NHS offers talking therapies. Going to the Dr won't mean you are automatically put on meds.

This is one of the NHS websites with info on depression

http://www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk/crisis.asp

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2017, 6:39 am

Phobic Flower wrote:
St. Johns Wart for Antidepressant

On the back of the packet for these it says that you shouldn't take them if you think you're suffering from depression. Also, they can interfere with certain kinds of medication.

GarTog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2017, 9:55 am

Hippygoth wrote:
Phobic Flower wrote:
St. Johns Wart for Antidepressant

On the back of the packet for these it says that you shouldn't take them if you think you're suffering from depression. Also, they can interfere with certain kinds of medication.

They are usually marketed for "low mood" if I recall correctly?
Yes they are very dangerous taken in conjunction with statins or any medication that affects serotonin levels, my old GP had no idea about this and told me to go ahead even though I was taking an SSRI! Luckily I did my own research (always do your own research)

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2017, 6:00 am

GarTog wrote:
They are usually marketed for "low mood" if I recall correctly?

That's right. Low mood, and some of them say also for anxiety.