Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 1:31 pm

Do you want help only if it does not involve change? Given that neuroplasticity is just the study of how the brain naturally re-organizes itself in response to problems, I can't see any other explanation of why that process can't help you.

DaneClark
Raven
Raven

23 Feb 2017, 2:05 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Do you want help only if it does not involve change? Given that neuroplasticity is just the study of how the brain naturally re-organizes itself in response to problems, I can't see any other explanation of why that process can't help you.

I think what I mean is that I want change but I also don't want change at the same time and that it's like dividing by zero.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 2:27 pm

A friend of mine told me that he used to like visiting a one-man machine shop just to chat while the owner worked. Then, he noticed that it wasn't too unusual to find someone else doing the same thing, so he decided to watch, and try to figure out the secret of the old guy's charm. He'd just stand there at his lathe or mill, watching the work, and occasionally grunt or nod as the visitor related the details of their current conundrum. Eventually, the story would end, and there would be a few seconds of just machine noise. Then the machinist would turn around, look at his visitor, and say "Well, there you are, You SEE?" Then the visitor would usually brighten up and trot off.

Half of the fear of the unknown future is just from not having really accepted where we are, to know the footing from which we proceed.

DaneClark
Raven
Raven

24 Feb 2017, 12:20 pm

Is there some kind of psychological term for the "everything is either too rigid or too flexible" problem?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 2:11 pm

DaneClark wrote:
Is there some kind of psychological term for the "everything is either too rigid or too flexible" problem?

I think "stuck" covers it.