What is the most bizarre/eccentric music you listen to?

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

shyteddy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Feb 2017, 2:18 pm

The title speaks for itself! I'm researching extremely bizarre / rare / eccentric music genres, bands, songs, etc.... I want to know, which songs/bands/types of music do you enjoy that match the description? Things you probably wouldn't want to listen to in public without headphones. Don't worry, I won't judge ;) Let me hear your picks!

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2017, 6:56 pm

Damn near Everything I own, and if I don't have headphones on, then they get exposed to new music, or deal with it.

To start off with you might want to check out:

Acid Mothers Temple
Algarnas Tradgard
Amon Duul
Ashra Tempel
Baris Manco
Boredoms
Brainticket
Caspar Brotzmann and his dad,
Peter Brotzmann
Butthole Surfers
Centipede
Chrome
Circle
Copshootcop
DG 307
Diamanda Galas
Einsturzende Neubauten
Erkin Koray
Fille Qui Mousse
Flipper
Flower Travellin' Band
Igra Staklenih Perli
Jean Pierre Mirouze
Laibach
Leather Nun
Legendary Pink Dots
Le Rallizes Denudes
Lou Reed w/ Zeitkratzer (FWIW, I'm one of the few who can listen to Lou Reed's 'Metal Machine Music' in one sitting)
Magma
Merzbow
OM
OOIOO (Essentially what remains of the Boredoms let loose on a Gamelan Ensemble)
Oresund Space Collective (Improv Space Rock)
Patife Band
Pere Ubu
Pharhaoh Overlord
Plastic People Of The Universe
Pocahaunted
The Residents
Seven That Spells
Simply Saucer
Skullflower
Sonic Youth
SPK
Sunn_0)))
SWANS
Taj Mahal Travellers
The Ex
The Gerogerigegege
The Normal
Throbbing Gristle
Ufomammut
Ulan Khol
Unsane
Vagtazo Halottkemek
Violent Onsen Geisha
White Hills
Whitehouse

FWIW, A few years ago, I went oto a local Indie Music Store and scored:

Peter Brotzmann's 'Pika Pika'
Boredoms 'Superroots 4'
Sunn_0))) 's 'Black One'
Fatboy Slim's 'You've Come A Log Way, Baby'

The clerk who checked me out told me that I have really wierd Music tastes.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 2:12 am

I like stuff by:

The Flaming Lips
Devo
The Might Be Giants
Barenaked Ladies

Sure there are others.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2017, 3:44 am

Fogman wrote:
Damn near Everything I own, and if I don't have headphones on, then they get exposed to new music, or deal with it.

To start off with you might want to check out:

FWIW, A few years ago, I went oto a local Indie Music Store and scored:

Peter Brotzmann's 'Pika Pika'
Boredoms 'Superroots 4'
Sunn_0))) 's 'Black One'
Fatboy Slim's 'You've Come A Log Way, Baby'

The clerk who checked me out told me that I have really wierd Music tastes.

I already checked out some of the songs you listed and they sound pretty good. You got some good taste. I'm saving that list so I can look up the rest later.

I rarely share my musical taste with others (or should I say NTs or anyone not on the internet) so I can't really tell with most of my stuff. Now if this topic were to include music videos, that would greatly expand on my options.

My taste in music seems to border more in disturbing or on dark/depressing than bizarre I can't think of much outside of Weird Al Yankovic songs that would be bizarre so here

Cibo Matto, its in their name. Crazy food!

Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030, the whole album is bizarre! It's about a rapper from the year 3030 that is a mech soldier and computer prodigy that rebels against the new world order of that era that oppress humans and hip hop. He defeats all his enemies by rap battles and becomes a galactic champion. He goes back to earth only to be ambushed and have his memories erased, thus having the world thrown back into darkness.

If you like rap and hip hop check it out, it is one of the greatest and most underrated albums ever produced. The production is great, it has some hip hopera in it that sounds amazing. I wouldn't want to get caught listening to this around people who consider themselves rap fans. Since this strays off far from what others would consider traditional rap, it does not follow the mainstream narrative and all the scifi stuff makes it seem kinda nerdy.

Roots Manuva is also a pretty eccentric rapper I listen to

Tricky is a trip hop legend, that also does electronic, rap and experimental hip hop. He also dabs a little into other genres like numetal and rock for a song or two.

Rob Dougan - he combines trip hop with neoclassical music. Despite making the famous Matrix song Clubbed To Death he is criminally underrated.

Massive Attack, another trip hop legend.

Octafonic is a pretty eccentric rock band, they combine different types of rock and metal like jazz rock, hard rock, electronic rock, industrial rock, heavy metal and alternative metal. They also have some techno pop.

And I'll stop here before I realized I am about to dump post.

AnotherMrLizard
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Feb 2017, 4:08 pm

while definitely not the most bizarre I've ever given a listen to, the entire genre of IDM is probably the most abstract I listen to on a regular basis. it's essentially electronic music with a focus on soundscapes and experimentation rather than the accessibility and danceability of typical EDM or club music. while the genre is incredibly vast, and there are a wide variety of artists to explore, the 'big three', i.e. the most well-known, are Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada and Autechre.

Boards of Canada focus mainly on psychedelic, nostalgic soundscapes with a heavy focus on sampling and old-sounding synths, whereas Autechre's main path is extremely abstract and bizarre drum patterns that are technologically and musically very skilled, but inaccessible to the general listener. Aphex Twin is somewhere in between the two, and you've probably heard some of his stuff somewhere. he's the most varied of the three, with tracks ranging from soft ambient to brutal breakcore.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 7:13 pm

AnotherMrLizard wrote:
while definitely not the most bizarre I've ever given a listen to, the entire genre of IDM is probably the most abstract I listen to on a regular basis. it's essentially electronic music with a focus on soundscapes and experimentation rather than the accessibility and danceability of typical EDM or club music. while the genre is incredibly vast, and there are a wide variety of artists to explore, the 'big three', i.e. the most well-known, are Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada and Autechre.

Boards of Canada focus mainly on psychedelic, nostalgic soundscapes with a heavy focus on sampling and old-sounding synths, whereas Autechre's main path is extremely abstract and bizarre drum patterns that are technologically and musically very skilled, but inaccessible to the general listener. Aphex Twin is somewhere in between the two, and you've probably heard some of his stuff somewhere. he's the most varied of the three, with tracks ranging from soft ambient to brutal breakcore.

I saw Autechre open for Pigface back in 1998. --Good show.

TeleEccentric
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Feb 2017, 7:42 pm

No mention of Mr Bungle?

They should be on the list. Along with early Dillinger Escape Plan.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2017, 4:16 pm

Noise, Noise, and Noise. I think one person's bizarre music is another person's everyday listening.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2017, 9:38 pm

I like a bit of Zappa, also Sparks, but the weirdest genre I listen to is early electronic music. Wendy Carlos is probably the most recognisable name from the genre but Max Matthews and Karlheinz Stockhausen are pretty well known too.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 12:23 am

I would love to know what the op considers bizarre. It is very much up for interpretation.

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

12 Feb 2017, 12:26 am

Fogman wrote:
Boredoms
Einsturzende Neubauten
Flipper
Flower Travellin' Band
Pere Ubu
Plastic People Of The Universe
SPK
The Ex
Unsane

Great bands

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 1:23 am

Apparat Organ Quartet

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Feb 2017, 1:10 am

I wanna say kpop and maybe some anime music because it would seem bizarre to a casual listener and it's put me in some very socially awkward situations

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 3:36 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
Apparat Organ Quartet

shyteddy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2017, 8:49 am

thewrll wrote:
I would love to know what the op considers bizarre. It is very much up for interpretation.

Well, I'm talking styles of music that are less well known than the standard Jazz, Rock 'n Roll, Metal, Pop, Rap, Country, etc... You mentioned Noise music for instance, I consider that a bit eccentric. Certainly you're not going to hear that on a normal basis. For instance if you have a love for Korean Jazz, Tibetan throat music, or Byzantine music... that's not typical. Also genres like Ambient, Drone music, Musique Concrete, Avante-garde, etc... Just wondering what's the least typical genre of music everybody loves :)

BTW since you mentioned noise music, I've only just gotten into noise, and scratched the surface... Keeping the mind as open as possible, I've even managed to find some of it listenable to ;) Could you, as an expert I presume, recommend me some of you favorite noise music "songs"? I'd appreciate it!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 8:52 am

As long as it sounds good to my ears. I don't care how "eccentric" one particular piece of music is.

Dissonance bothers me. It gives me a headache.

I like complex jazz. I like 4 x 4 type rock music, too.