Are there any aspies that hate themselves?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

A_noobish_noob
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2017, 7:14 am

I feel the previous poster
I have been called smart all of my life by most of my peers, I mean I was shown to have a very high iq when they tested me in high school, but I don't really ever get good grades, even in subjects where I am pretty sure I understand the topics better than people who get better grades. I also really feel like a stupid person most of the time who can rant to you about various topics that I seem to be an expert on from an outside perspective, but that's all I can do.

Edit:
Thinking about this, I can probably see why no one pegged me as autistic/aspie when I was a child.

Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

08 Feb 2017, 7:23 am

I think most people hate themselves to be honest.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 8:53 am

Now and then. It's a love hate relationship.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 9:55 am

I'd specifically like to highlight a certian radical christian who thinks that christianity teaches that you should hate mentally disabled people despite being one himself. And despite the name sees very unclearly. You guessed it See Clearly Media Just when you thought it couldn't happen it did. He's admitted he's autistic to. He also thinks Autism Advocacy is evil. He infered that autistic people are demons.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 6:10 pm

Pieplup wrote:
I'd specifically like to highlight a certian radical christian who thinks that christianity teaches that you should hate mentally disabled people despite being one himself. And despite the name sees very unclearly. You guessed it See Clearly Media Just when you thought it couldn't happen it did. He's admitted he's autistic to. He also thinks Autism Advocacy is evil. He infered that autistic people are demons.

"mary hamm"?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 8:17 pm

The answer to the OP's question is unfortunately yes.
Suicidal Thoughts 10 Times More Likely in Adults With Asperger’s

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2017, 12:35 am

I can on occasions hate myself because I can see how uncomfortable I can make other people feel. It's particularly apparent when someone is making a quip, which I invariably misinterpret as a serious remark. 'Banter' is perhaps a key skill for those whom are well-liked by their peers. With the exception of my home environment, I always feel like the proverbial elephant in the room.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2017, 2:29 pm

Sometimes I do. Notorious in the past for setting unreasonable goals, and I still catch myself at it. I periodically used to wander off last year deeply preoccupied with my hobbies and neglected my 1st year of full-time uni. That I still achieved a distinction does not instill a sense of pride in me but disgust... I worked my fingers to the bone catching up, compromised my physical health multiple times and suffered massively with the stress, all self-inflicted: I could have avoided it! The mental backlash I get from trying to cope with my poor judgement and the mess it makes of my head... It's funny to acknowledge that until my recent ASD diagnosis I'd never even heard of the concept of having a 'meltdown', but I suppose these are what my brain builds up to, then I feel crap for a long time after.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2017, 4:22 pm

I hate how I don't really get how to make connections with people. It's really difficult, but other people just seem to know what to do. I don't know what to do. And I'm so lonely that I've become depressed and I have no motivation to do anything. I don't really have anything going for me. I don't know how I turned into this boring person. I hate that about myself. I've kind of just given up on life.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2017, 4:34 pm

Pro tip for all you folks out there who hate yourselves. Don't make friends and if you have them cut them loose right away. Insecurity with one's self makes for an easy target to take advantage of, just saying ...

I don't hate myself at all

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2017, 4:41 pm

green0star wrote:
Pro tip for all you folks out there who hate yourselves. Don't make friends and if you have them cut them loose right away. Insecurity with one's self makes for an easy target to take advantage of, just saying ...

I don't hate myself at all

I don't agree with that. There are good people out there. I have a handful of good and decent friends who keep in touch with me. It's not all one way with them and they don't take advantage.

I'd say be cautious, but don't push genuine people away because you'll just make yourself more lonely. Although, if you're an introvert be a happy introvert. I'm an extrovert, so I can't live without other people.

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Feb 2017, 5:07 pm

Sometimes I feel like I can't do anything right no matter how hard I try, especially when it comes to work and relationships.

I think it's problematic that society expects everyone to have high self-esteem regardless of bullying or rejection they've encountered their entire life to the degree that they aren't familiar with another way of living.