Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 6:17 am

I feel like the black and white, NT-vs-AS model, like the conservative-vs-liberal model, is meant to divide us. Most people aren't black or white, and some aren't even mostly black or mostly white. Discuss!

A_noobish_noob
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2017, 6:27 am

I, and most people, just use those as labels. If I say a there is a black man on the corner, it is to only illustrate a picture for another with words. If I describe someone as autistic, it is for the listener/reader to understand that I describe a person as such. If one uses these as a dividing tool in terms of treatment, unless we are talking medically treating a person, then they are a racist/bigot. I don't think this is really that nuanced tbh.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 8:32 am

I think an NT is basically most anyone an aspie doesn't like. Anyone who gives them a hard time or makes life difficult for them in some way. Those who annoy them. Those who skate whilst they struggle.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 8:44 am

I think categorizing people and things is the most natural thing in the world. That's how we make sense of things.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 9:27 am

Ezra, you just inspired me to create a new thread ("What is YOUR definition of NT?") I used to refer to people who hated AS or Aspies as NTs, and that confused a lot of people; they thought (when I started hating on "NTs") that I was hating all NTs but really I was just talking about the ones that hate on autism or autistics.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 9:37 am

As said I do not think there is or was some nefarious plot to divide us, it is natural human nature to label, maybe even more so for autistics with "pattern recognition" thinking.

It is how labels are used that divides us. Autistics have unfortunately done an effective job of dividing ourselves.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman